Doria Holbrook Article

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to the state of Washington

Moderator: Robert schmitt

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Doria Holbrook Article

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri May 09, 2003 3:01 pm

Here is an article on Doria Holbrook. She's a Pole Vault Power member, and featured in the upper left corner of your screen!

Nothing Unlucky About No. 13 for Holbrook

For Doria Holbrook, there are two distinct aspects to pole vaulting that draw her to the event like a thrill-seeker to an irresistible challenge.
Going high.

And going head to head.

Last Saturday the Eisenhower junior savored both, winning the Lake Washington Invitational title in a showdown against Kentlake's Stevie Marshalek, the state all-time record holder, and Snohomish's Emily Enders, the defending 4A state champion.

"I love the chance to go against those girls," she said. "It'll probably be the three of us at state and we all want the same thing."

Holbrook prevailed on Saturday by equaling her season best of 12 feet on her first attempt. Marshalek also cleared 12-0 but needed two tries. Enders was third at 11-6.

Holbrook and Marshalek then went for 12-6 and missed, but Holbrook still came away encouraged because she used a pole that will one day get her over 13 feet, she believes.

"I could've made 12-6 with my regular pole but I needed the experience on the bigger pole," explained Holbrook, who, like Enders, is a state-caliber diver. "It's got a lot of pop, and with a perfect plant and right vertical angle I really believe I'll go 13 â€â€

Return to “Washington”