Jeremy Scully MURDERED - McBride plead down to 23 years

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to the state of Washington

Moderator: Robert schmitt

chasing6
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former Collegiate Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, Coach (all-levels), Die-Hard Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.23m

Re: Jeremy Scully MURDERED - Finally an arrest!

Unread postby chasing6 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:22 am

This is some of the best news I've heard in a while. Let's hope the charges stick.

I'm sure Dick will be VERY relieved to hear the news, but I think I'll wait until after nationals to tell him. :)
Whether you believe you can or cannot, you're right.

http://www.fiveringsproject.org

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:59 am

You know I didn't think this story could get any stranger, but the wife of the guy that killed Scully had a baby in January and the cops think it's Scully's because the husband had a vasectomy. It would have had to have been conceived shortly before the murder, so I am sure Scully never knew about it. I hope they do some paternity testing.

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/si ... /story.csp

Former UO pole vaulter a likeable guy, coach recalls

BY SHELBY MARTIN
The Register-Guard
Posted to Web: Friday, Mar 13, 2009 12:33AM
Appeared in print: Friday, Mar 13, 2009, page B4

News: Local: Story
A former coach of Jeremy Scully, who was found dead last year of a gunshot wound, remembered him as a likeable person who will be missed. Police this week arrested a suspect in his death.

“He was real friendly, real dedicated,” Dan West, who now coaches pole vault at Lane Community College, said of Scully. West coached Scully when both were at the University of Oregon in the early 1990s. “Everybody liked Jeremy.”

Scully, 38 at the time of his death and himself an assistant high school track coach,trained for the pole vault at the University of Oregon. He was found dead in April near Bellingham, Wash. Hikers found him with a gunshot wound to the head on Washington’s Blanchard Mountain.

Scully graduated from the UO in 1993 and also was a graduate of Marshfield High School in Coos Bay.

On Wednesday, police arrested Kenneth McBride in Lebanon and charged him with first-degree murder in connection with Scully’s death.

Kenneth McBride is in the Linn County Jail, awaiting extradition to Skagit County. His arrest has brought some closure to Eugene area residents who remember Scully as a dedicated pole vaulter and amiable guy.

Scully was listed on the UO track roster in 1992 and 1993, his junior and senior years. He earned a bachelor’s degree in sociology in the fall of 1993. West said Scully was well-liked on the track team.

Scully helped coach track at Western Washington University and nearby Ferndale High School.

West said he often ran into Scully at track meets when both coaches’ teams were competing.

“I thought it was really great that he was giving back to the sport,” he said.

“A lot of times the best athletes aren’t the best coaches, because everything comes so naturally to them. Jeremy was a really good track coach.”

Ferndale High School officials reported Scully missing in April after he failed to show up for a track practice.

Hikers found his body on April 27.

“It’s bizarre,” West said of the circumstances surrounding Scully’s death. “What a heartbreaking thing for his family.”

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri May 01, 2009 3:43 pm

http://www.kapsradio.com/kaps-radio-660 ... lines/bail’s-been-set-for-former-county-resident/
Bail’s been set for former county resident
(MOUNT VERNON)- Bail has been reduced for a man accused of luring his wife’s lover to Skagit County and killing him on Blanchard Mountain.

Kenneth McBride is charged with first-degree murder.

Ferndale track coach and substitute teacher Jeremy Scully disappeared a year ago, on a day he planned to help with repairs at the McBride home on Old Highway 99 in Alger, where Ken and his wife Venessa McBride lived.

After Scully was killed, McBride move to Lebanon, Oregon, where he was arrested.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/102/story/856231.html
Man pleads not guilty to killing Ferndale track coach
PETER JENSEN - THE BELLINGHAM HERALD

PRINT
TEXT SIZE:
The man charged with killing a Whatcom County track coach last year pleaded not guilty in Skagit County Superior Court Thursday, April 2.
Kenneth J. McBride, 35, formerly of Alger, has been charged with premeditated murder in the 2008 death of Jeremy Scully, a former pole-vaulting coach at Ferndale High School and Western Washington University.
His trial is set to start May 26.

PHILIP A. DWYER | THE BELLINGHAM HERALD

Police and prosecutors believe the killing was motivated by Scully's affair with McBride's wife, Venessa, according to charging documents filed in Superior Court.
Scully was last seen alive while driving to the McBrides' home in Alger on April 24, 2008. Hikers found his body on Blanchard Mountain three days later. He had been shot in the head.
Kenneth McBride was arrested outside of his home in Lebanon, Ore., on March 11. He was brought to the Skagit County Jail on March 27 and is being held there in lieu of $1 million bail.
McBride's lawyer, Skagit County Public Defender Keith Tyne, said at the hearing that he would request a reduction in that bail amount.
According to charging documents:
On the morning of April 24, Scully was en route to Alger to help Kenneth McBride do work on his roof, but police later found none of the materials needed to do the work. Venessa McBride picked her husband up later that afternoon at the Squires Lake Trailhead.
Police found Scully's car on East Lake Samish Road, and dogs were able to track the scent of McBride's shoes from there to an area on the shore of Lake Samish, where divers recovered personal items belonging to Scully.
The dogs tracked McBride's scent until it almost reached the trailhead.
A Washington State Patrol Crime Lab matched bullet fragments found in Scully's head with bullets found in the McBride home.
At the home, investigators also found a photograph of McBride holding a rifle they believe was used to kill Scully, but they did not recover the weapon.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:33 pm

The lack of news on this has been a source of concern for me. I finally did some digging and found that the latest. McBride is still in jail (hasn't been able to make bail) and the trial date keeps being pushed back. As of 12/03/09 the trial is now set for 05/26/10.

Court: Skagit Superior
Case Number: 09-1-00181-1
http://dw.courts.wa.gov/

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:11 pm

I just read the account of how they figured out who did it. That's quite good work. Good thing those dogs don't work around formalin fumes, like I do.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:02 am

http://www.kapsradio.com/kaps-radio-660 ... r-mcbride/

Trial date is set for McBride
(ALGER)– Former Alger resident Kenneth McBride will go on trial in the death of Jeremy Scully on June 14th in Skagit County Superior Court. The 36-year-old McBride was living in Alger a year ago when the 28-year-old Ferndale High School track coach disappeared. Scully’s body was found three days later on Blanchard Mountain. He had been shot to death. In a pre-trial hearing Monday, a judge ruled that voluntary statements McBride made before he was arrested can be used against him at trial.

http://www.goskagit.com/home/article/ju ... _at_trial/

Judge to allow defendant’s statements to be used at trial
Email | Print | 2197 views Tahlia Ganser | Skagit Valley Herald
March 30, 2010 - 09:59 AM
Last Updated: March 30, 2010 - 10:04 AM

Frank Varga
Kenneth McBride, 36, appears at an evidentiary hearing Monday in Skagit County Superior Court. McBride is accused in the 2008 killing of Jeremy Scully.

MOUNT VERNON — Glimpses of an upcoming trial for a man accused of killing his wife’s lover came to light Monday in a pretrial evidentiary hearing during which a judge ruled that voluntary statements the murder defendant made before he was charged can now be used against him.

Kenneth McBride, 36, formerly of Alger, was in a swinging relationship with his wife, each openly having multiple sex partners. But McBride grew jealous when he realized his wife was falling in love with 28-year-old Ferndale assistant track coach Jeremy Scully, according to the Skagit County Sheriff’s Office.

Scully disappeared on April 24, 2008. His body was found three days later on Blanchard Mountain. He had been shot to death.

McBride was questioned at least four times within a month after Scully’s disappearance, but wasn’t arrested until a year later. Monday, the judge said the statements McBride made during the approximately eight hours of questioning after Scully’s murder can be used during the trial.

Most of those statements, contained in police reports and transcripts, are not yet open to the public.

However, some information is available in McBride’s arrest affidavit.

McBride told investigators he spent most of the day Scully went missing at his home searching for jobs, which contradicts the history on his computer seized during the investigation, the affidavit says.

The day he disappeared, Scully had plans to help McBride with work on his Alger home, according to court documents. Scully wasn’t seen alive again.

McBride’s attorney, Skagit County Public Defender Keith Tyne, said in court Monday he had recently learned about a “surprise witness” in the case.

Tyne said McBride’s jail cell mate, 50-year-old Travis Martinez, had told prosecutors that McBride confessed to killing Scully.

Martinez of Sedro-Woolley was awaiting trial for multiple felony drug-dealing charges at the time. He has since accepted a plea agreement. The details of the agreement have been sealed.

Skagit County Prosecuting Attorney Rich Weyrich said he has not decided if he will use Martinez as a witness. Prosecutors already have 70 witnesses in the McBride case, he said.

McBride’s trial is now expected to begin June 14.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:04 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:http://www.kapsradio.com/kaps-radio-660am-news-headlines/trial-date-is-set-for-mcbride/

Trial date is set for McBride
(ALGER)– Former Alger resident Kenneth McBride will go on trial in the death of Jeremy Scully on June 14th in Skagit County Superior Court. The 36-year-old McBride was living in Alger a year ago when the 28-year-old Ferndale High School track coach disappeared. Scully’s body was found three days later on Blanchard Mountain. He had been shot to death. In a pre-trial hearing Monday, a judge ruled that voluntary statements McBride made before he was arrested can be used against him at trial.

If June 14 is the date that sticks, I am going to try to attend the trial for a day or two. I will be in Seattle the day before for Alan's clinic, so I might as well stay in the area for a few more days.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:14 pm

http://www.kapsradio.com/kaps-radio-660 ... e-in-jail/

Man tries to commit suicide in jail
(SKAGIT COUNTY)- Documents filed in Skagit County Superior Court show a former Alger resident tried to kill himself April 14th.

36-year-old Kenneth McBride tried to commit suicide while being held in the Skagit County Jail in Mount Vernon.

McBride stands accused of killing 28-year-old Jeremy Scully of Ferndale.

Scully was found dead two years ago on Blanchard Mountain.

http://www.goskagit.com/home/article/mu ... t_suicide/

McBride tried to commit suicide April 14 while housed at the Skagit County Jail. He apparently stashed away medication he was supposed to be taking, then took it all at once.

Prosecutors are asking that McBride be sent to Western State Hospital for a mental health evaluation before going to trial in June.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:14 am

I _think_ the trial has been pushed back to August...

06-08-2010 ORD FOR CONTINUANCE OF TRIAL DATE
ACTION Ord For Continuance Of Trial Date
Incorrect Court Date 08-18-2010

I'm not good at reading the court shorthand, but I have the case number information a few posts ago.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:58 am

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/100031764.html

Man pleads guilty in Mount Vernon in swinger murder

By Associated Press

A man accused of killing a Ferndale teacher pleaded guilty Wednesday in Mount Vernon to second-degree murder in a love triangle.
Story Published: Aug 5, 2010 at 7:48 AM PDT Story Updated: Aug 5, 2010 at 7:48 AM PDT

Man pleads not guilty in murder of Ferndale track coach
MOUNT VERNON, Wash. (AP) - A man accused of killing a Ferndale teacher pleaded guilty Wednesday in Mount Vernon to second-degree murder in a love triangle.

Kenneth McBride of Alger had been charged with first-degree murder in the April 2008 shooting of Jeremy Skully. In a deal with Skagit County prosecutors, the 36-year-old McBride will face a 23-year prison term when he is sentenced.

Prosecutors say McBride and his wife were in a "swinging" lifestyle of multiple sex partners, and McBride grew jealous when his wife fell in love with Skully.

Skully, 28, worked as a substitute teacher and assistant track coach in Ferndale.

Scully disappeared while driving from his Bellingham apartment to a friend's house in Alger on April 25, 2008.

His body was found several days later by hikers on Blanchard Mountain in northwest Skagit County, and an autopsy showed he was shot to death.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:07 pm

http://kgmi.com/Former-Swinger-Admits-M ... oa/7850703

Former Swinger Admits Murdering Ferndale Track Coach

Tracy Ellis Reporting
kgmi@kgmi.com

MOUNT VERNON, Wash. -- A man entwined in an open love triangle with his wife and a Whatcom County track coach admits to killing his wife’s lover.

Kenneth McBride, formerly of Alger, was scheduled to go to trial for first-degree premeditated murder at the end of the month for the fatal shooting of 28-year-old Ferndale assistant track coach Jeremy Scully in April 2008.

Instead, according to the Skagit Valley Herald, McBride accepted a plea agreement Wednesday during a brief hearing in Skagit County Superior Court.

McBride pleaded guilty to second-degree murder with a firearm. He is scheduled to be sentenced August 27th.

The paper says attorneys will ask the judge to sentence McBride to 23 years and four months in prison.

McBride was in a swinging relationship with his wife, but he reportedly grew jealous when he realized his wife was falling in love with Scully.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:21 pm

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/08/0 ... ndale.html

Suspect admits killing Ferndale track coach; maximum sentence sought

KATIE BARNES THE BELLINGHAM HERALD
In this 2008 file photo, Will Reichardt, right, chief criminal deputy for the Skagit County Sheriff's Office, stands beside Skagit County prosecuter Rich Weyrich, left, to announce the arrest and charge of Kenneth McBride for the murder of Jeremy Scully. Scully's body was found on Blanchard Mountain on April 27, 2008 after he had been reported missing for several days.

TAHLIA GANSER; SKAGIT VALLEY HERALD
Published: 08/05/10 9:03 am | Updated: 08/05/10 9:08 am
Comments (0)
MOUNT VERNON — A 36-year-old man who was in an open relationship with his wife admitted Wednesday to killing one of her sex partners, a former assistant track coach at Ferndale High School.

Kenneth McBride, formerly of Alger, was scheduled to go to trial on charges of first-degree premeditated murder at the end of the month for killing 28-year-old Jeremy Scully in April 2008. Instead, McBride accepted a plea agreement Wednesday during a brief hearing in Skagit County Superior Court.

McBride pleaded guilty to second-degree murder with a firearm. He is scheduled to be sentenced Aug. 27.

The trial was expected to last up to a month, and prosecutors had 70 witnesses lined up to testify.

The largely circumstantial case was one of the more complex that has come through Skagit County courts in recent years. It involved thousands of pages of computer data, including instant messages and other computer evidence, and evidence of McBride's cell phone use through area cell towers.

The case could have been complicated further had prosecutors asked McBride's wife to testify against him.

"Trials are crap shoots to some degree," Skagit County Prosecuting Attorney Rich Weyrich said after the hearing. "We're pleased that it's been resolved."

Under the agreement, attorneys on both sides will ask the judge to sentence McBride to the top of his range: 23 years, 4 months in prison.

If McBride had been convicted as charged, he could have faced more than 30 years in prison.

"Like in many cases, (victims' families) would like to see him get more time," Weyrich said. "You can never give a defendant enough time for loss of life."

Weyrich said Scully's family members supported the plea agreement.

McBride and his wife each openly had multiple sex partners. They met Scully on an adult website designed to connect people in the swinging lifestyle. But McBride grew jealous when he realized his wife was falling in love with Scully.

Return to “Washington”