Daniel Thompson (WA) is cut above the rest

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to the state of Washington

Moderator: Robert schmitt

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Daniel Thompson (WA) is cut above the rest

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:48 pm

http://www.columbian.com/sports/localNe ... 120103.cfm

Prep previews: Thompson is cut above the rest

Camas pole vaulter Daniel Thompson said he would like to clear a height of 16 feet this year. JANET L. MATHEWS/The Columbian
Enlarge Photo

Wednesday, March 28, 2007
BY BRIAN T. SMITH

Midway through Daniel Thompson's freshman season as a pole vaulter on the Camas High School track and field team, he forced his coach, Rod Raunig, into a tough position.

According to Raunig, in 2004, Thompson was light of frame and still finding his way through adolescence. Making matters worse, Thompson often appeared distant and unmotivated during practice.

The Papermakers coach knew he had a hard decision to make.

"I was honestly going to cut him," Raunig said. "He was a small kid and he just didn't look like he had it. I wasn't sure he fit on the team."

Raunig smiled and looked upward as he said the words. Then he completed his thoughts.

"Man, if I had cut him, that would have been a huge mistake," Raunig said. "Back then, he was just a little kid. Now, he's one of the best pole vaulters in the entire state."

Funny how times change.

Last year, as a junior, Thompson took fifth place at the Class 3A state meet in Pasco by vaulting 14 feet.

He also posted the top vault in the Clark County area during the regular season with a height of 13-6, and was subsequently named to the Class 3A Greater St. Helens League all-league first team.

This year, Thompson has a legitimate shot to compete for the 3A state pole vault championship as a senior.

So what made the difference? What turned Thompson from a near cut squad casualty into one of the premier vaulters in Washington?

Well, first off, he grew. Then, he added muscle. And then he started practicing.

"I just started taking the sport a lot more seriously," Thompson said. "As my body came together, I realized what I could do. Then I began to take pride in my vaulting. I started working a lot harder and trying to improve as much as possible."

Improve he has.

Thompson's upper body and leg strength has developed to the point that he now struggles to find poles that will last.

"I break them all the time," he said. "I think I've even started out a little slow this year because I just can't find the right pole."

Thompson's not exaggerating.

In a tri-meet against Battle Ground and Hudson's Bay on March 21, Thompson finished in first place, vaulting 13-6.

Yet Thompson wasn't happy.

The height was four inches off the mark he set at state in 2006, and Thompson feels the lack of a reliable pole was to blame.

"I know I can do a lot better," he said. "I'm just getting started."

With new poles on order and state less than two months away, the question arises: How high does Thompson want to go in his senior season as a Papermaker?

"Realistically? I want to hit 16 feet. Maybe 16-1," he said. "I think I can do that. I mean, maybe not. But I'm at least going to try."

Other Athletes to Watch

Athlete Yr. School Of Note

Shane Geiger Jr. Camas 7th at state cross country

Michael Hamberg Jr. Prairie All-4A GSHL in TJ, HJ

Ryan Hamilton Sr. Evergreen 4A GSHL sprinter of year

Magaiva Herman Sr. Hudson's Bay All-4A GSHL in LJ, TJ

Jameson Howk Sr. Washougal 3A state LJ runner-up

Mark Leinweber Sr. Skyview 4A GSHL pole vaulter

Alex Nelson Sr. Evergreen 4th in 4A state javelin

Ross Milne Sr. Mountain View 7th in 4A high jump

Tyran Schelling So. Skyview 4th in 4A 110 hurdles

Terrence Yoho Sr. Hockinson 5th in 2A state discus