2007 WA Random Track Articles

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to the state of Washington

Moderator: Robert schmitt

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:19 am

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/h ... tes20.html

Prep Notebook | Two meets lure top track talent
By John Boyle
Special to The Seattle Times

Michael Chinchar will be challenged in the 1,600.
Head north or east from Seattle on Saturday and you'll find some of the state's top high-school talents in track and field.

At Snohomish, the Larry Eason Invitational will feature some of the best athletes in Western Washington. At Bellevue High School, the Bellevue Invitational has a can't-miss boys 1,600 meters.

The Bellevue Invitational, which starts at 10 a.m. with field events and is expected to last until 6 or 7 p.m., will attract about 1,200 athletes representing 35 schools. The race of the day will be the boys 1,600. Kentwood's Michael Chinchar, Seattle Prep's Max O'Donoghue-McDonald and Skyline's Matt Frerker, all ranked among the state's top 10 in the event, are entered. Two weeks ago, Chinchar ran a 4:09.67 mile, the best time by a prep runner in the nation this year. O'Donoghue-McDonald, like Chinchar a senior, has won two state cross-country titles.

The Eason Invite, which begins at 9 a.m., might not have a marquee event to match the boys 1,600 at Bellevue, but it has plenty of marquee athletes.

Devin Brooks, a three-time girls state champ in the 100 hurdles from Holy Names, will run that event and the 100.

Sehome's Steven Ayers, who last week moved into elite company with a shot-put mark of 63 feet, 2 ¾ inches, will compete in the weights.

Decatur's Ezra John Griffey, one of the state's top boys sprinters, will run the 100 and 200. Garfield junior Stephone Jordon will compete in the boys hurdles and 200, while teammate Bianca Greene, the defending Class 4A girls state champion in the 200, will run the 200 and 400.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:27 am

http://www.sportstricities.com/sportstc ... 0882c.html

Big meets await in second half

This story was published Thursday, April 19th, 2007

By Rene Ferran, Herald staff writer

With the Pasco Invite in the rear-view mirror, most area track teams welcomed WASL week as a chance to rest athletes and prepare for the second half of the season leading up to districts, regionals and state.

Most teams return to action this weekend at a pair of long-running meets -- the Prosser Rotary Invite at Art Fiker Stadium, and the Kiwanis Invite at Hermiston's Kennison Field.

The Prosser meet, in its 48th year, includes defending team champion Richland, Kiona-Benton, Othello, Kennewick and Hanford. The first events start at 10:30 a.m.

Hermiston, which has swept the team titles the past four years, is holding its meet for the 22nd straight year. Kamiakin, Grandview, Moses Lake, Pasco and Southridge again will make the trip down I-82 to take part. The first events start at 10 a.m.

-- Prosser senior Nectaly Barbosa, who set his second area record of the spring in the 1,600 meters at Pasco, has yet to take an official visit as he studies his college choices. His top three right now are Washington, Oregon and Kentucky, where former Mead coach Pat Tyson is the distances coach.

-- Connell's Spencer Hadley, among the area leaders in the throws, missed the Pasco Invite to attend BYU's Junior Day for football.

-- Kamiakin junior Olivia Johnston sat out Pasco after pulling a tendon in the back of her right knee during the 300 hurdles race at last week's CBL 3A meet at West Valley. She is hoping to be back for next Thursday's CBL meet at Eastmont.

-- Moses Lake senior Aaron Wafer has been slowed this spring by an Achilles' tendon injury. He finished sixth in the long jump at the Invite, then dropped out of the meet despite making the finals in the 200.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:29 am

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:50 pm

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/h ... ker22.html

Eason Invitational | Garfield's Jordan dominates
By Erick Walker
Special to The Seattle Times
SNOHOMISH â€â€

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:55 pm

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/h ... rdp22.html

Roundup | Prep star edges to 1,600 victory
By Seattle Times staff
BELLEVUE â€â€

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:00 am

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/111/story/61938.html

Prep ROUNDUP
Mariners excel at Eason

THE BELLINGHAM HERALD

Local teams thrived at the 53-team Eason Invitational in Snohomish on Saturday.

The Sehome boys finished second and the Mariners’ girls were third at the meet, which featured athletes and schools from around the Pacific Northwest, Canada and Australia, according to Sehome coach Jen Leita.

The Mariner boys boasted a double winner in senior Steven Ayers. He won the discus with a throw of 173 feet, 5 inches and the shot out at 61- 5. Ayers was named the meet’s most outstanding competitor among boys’ field event competitors.

Riley, the state Class 2A cross country champion, won the 3,200-meter run in 9 minutes, 20.7 seconds, a meet record. He was second in the 1,600 in 4:20.68.

Sehome junior Mason McHenry won the 800-meter run in a school-record 1:55.9.

The top girls’ competitor for Sehome was junior Brittany Todhunter. Like Ayers she swept the throws and was named the meet’s outstanding field event competitor. She won the discus with a throw of 124-11 and scored a personal best in winning the shot put at 38-5.

Sehome freshman Annie Moore won the 1,600 meters in 5:07.8.

For Squalicum, Bronwyn Crossman easily won the girls 3200-meter run with a time of 10 minutes, 42.3 seconds. It’s a new school record and the second-fastest time in the state this spring for Crossman, who won by 150 meters.

Sophie Curl won the 800 for the Storm in 2:18.8.

The Squalicum boys finished 1-2 in the pole vault. Sam Sampson won with a height of 15 feet and Ryan Brown cleared 14-6 for second place.

Ferndale was led by Chris Mallard, who won the boys 100 in a time of 11.04. He also took third place in the long jump with his leap of 20 feet 8 inches.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:01 am

http://www.heraldnet.com/stories/07/04/ ... eas001.cfm

Panthers represent
Jessica Yates and the Snohomish girls protect their house with a first-place finish at Saturday's Eason Invitational.

By Mike Cane
Herald Writer

SNOHOMISH - Jessica Yates is always a fierce competitor, but she cranks up the intensity a few more notches when visitors invade her territory.

Yates, of Snohomish High School, had three top-four finishes, including a victory in the triple jump, and helped the host Panthers girls track team prevail Saturday during the 19th annual Larry Eason Invitational at Veterans Memorial Stadium.

"You have to (win) on your home turf," said Yates, who won the triple jump with a distance of 36 feet, 11 inches. She was runner-up in the long jump (17-4) and placed fourth in the high jump (5-2).

Yates tallied 23 of Snohomish's 86 points. The second-place team was Olympia (69.5 points), which won last year.

Known as one of the state's top triple-jumpers, Yates set a personal record in the long jump and tied her PR in the high jump. She was a bit zapped before her specialty, the triple, which was sandwiched between her other events.

"It was a good day," Yates said, "but I was just a little tired when it came to the triple jump."

Lacey Cone (javelin) also placed first for Snohomish, and teammate Alica Fliger took second in the hammer throw. They helped the home team hoist the first-place trophy one year after placing third.

"We represented, and we expect our girls to do pretty well this year," said Snohonish co-captain Annelise Cook, who was fifth in discus and sixth in hammer throw.

Usually, Yates is challenged in the triple jump by teammate Bri Clark, also one of the state's elite competitors. But Clark is on crutches thanks to a meniscus injury in her left knee. The knee injury struck just as she had recovered from a broken pinkie toe.

But Clark still showed up Saturday and cheered for Yates. Snohomish's team title is just what Clark hoped for, even though she dreamed of contributing in a different way.

"You gotta represent. You gotta bring it if it's at your place," said Clark, who hopes to return before the end of the season.

The female athletes of the meet were Devin Brooks of Holy Names (track) and Brittany Todhunter of Sehome (field). Brooks, a three-time state champion in the 100-meter hurdles, won the 100 hurdles and the 100 dash. Todhunter placed first in the shot and the discus.

Brooks set a meet record in the 100 hurdles in a preliminary heat. Squalicum's Bronwyn Crossman broke the meet record in the 3,200, finishing in 10 minutes, 42.3 seconds.

Other top local finishers included Arlington's Kjirsten Jensen, who finished second behind Todhunter in the shot put and the discus, and Lakewood's Michelle Howe, who was runner-up in the 100 hurdles behind Brooks.

Arlington's Shayna Prause was second in the javelin despite forgoing her final three attempts to prepare for a non-sports school activity.

Meet director and Snohomish coach Tuck Gionet praised his two top-four javelin throwers, Cone and Kelyn Lane. Both throwers set personal records (Cone's top heave, 113-2, broke the school record) and helped Snohomish score more points than it expected in the event.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:02 am

http://www.heraldnet.com/stories/07/04/ ... 2tr001.cfm

Lake Stevens puts on a show at Viking Classic

Herald staff

LAKE STEVENS - Lake Stevens invited seven other schools to a track and field meet, and then put on a show.

The Vikings won the boys title, finished second in the girls meet, and won the combined title at the Viking Classic at Lake Stevens High School on Saturday.

The Male Athlete of the Meet went to Joey Bywater, the Lake Stevens runner who won the 3,200- and 1,600-meter runs with meet-record times of 9 minutes, 25.4 seconds and 4:12.74 respectively, to lead the Vikings (181 points) to a first-place finish.

"Our boys just had a dominating performance," Lake Stevens track and field coach Jeff Page said.

Page pointed out the 1,600-meter run as the most exciting event of the meet with four runners having a sub-4:15 time.

"It was just phenomenal," Page said.

"Joey led it from wire to wire. That's really hard to do in any race.

"It was an amazing race."

Lake Stevens' Ashton Mott also set a meet record in the 200 with a time of 21.9 seconds. Josiah Cheslik (800) and Kelly Kurisu (shot put) finished first in their events and the Vikings swept the relay races to pull away from second-place Graham-Kapowsin (62).

Shorecrest (61) finished third thanks to Kevin Ramos, who won the 100 with a time of 11.02 and Marek Doman, who won the discus with a throw of 148 feet.

On the girls side, Gig Harbor (144) took the team title, followed by Lake Stevens (120) and Stanwood (76).

The Vikings' Brittany Aanstand won the javelin (133 feet-1 inch), triple jump (35-2) and high jump (5-4) events to earn Female Athlete of the Meet honors.

"She triple jumped for just the second time in her life and won," Page said. "She's a senior. We're not gonna see the likes of her for years to come."

Whitney Whitsell was Lake Stevens' other winner in the 100 hurdles with a time of 16.71 seconds.

"It was a pretty good performance by all of our kids, boys and girls," Page said.

Stanwood's Sarah Jackson finished second in the 100 hurdles (16.9), 300 hurdles (47.9) and javelin (124-31/2) to lead the Spartans.

Shorecrest (65, fifth place) was led by Cora Speidel, who won the 100 with a time of 12.84 seconds and finished second in the long jump (17-8). The Scots also won the 800 relay.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:03 am

http://www.heraldnet.com/stories/07/04/ ... mer001.cfm

Hammer time
For once, Monroe's Zack Richards and Snohomish's Alicia Fliger, both nationally ranked in the hammer throw, an event not usually sanctioned for prep track meets, won't have to travel far to compete in their sport.

By Mike Cane
Herald Writer

SNOHOMISH - Zack Richards usually has to drive at least a couple hours to compete in the sport he loves.

But today, the Monroe High School junior will enjoy a rare opportunity to shine close to home.

Richards is one of several local athletes who will participate in the hammer throw at the 19th annual Larry Eason Invitational track and field meet at Snohomish High. The men's hammer, one of the invite's 41 events, kicks off the action at 9 a.m.

Unlike throwing events such as discus, javelin and shot put, the hammer is not sanctioned by the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association. Reasons range from safety concerns, which many hammer supporters argue are largely overstated, to a lack of adequate facilities across the state. (Rhode Island is the only state that sanctions the event.)

But every spring, Eason meet director Tuck Gionet secures a special waiver to include the hammer. This year, the boys field is headlined by Richards, ranked No. 4 in the nation with a season-best hammer toss of 212 feet, 8 inches. Richards, the top-rated junior in the country, often travels two or three hours to find a hammer competition. This time, the trip will take just 10 minutes.

"It's nice just to wake up and go," said Richards, who placed third at the Eason last year and is seeded No. 1.

On the girls side, the home team features a highly accomplished hammer thrower. Snohomish senior Alicia Fliger is ranked No. 14 in the country with a season-best effort of 140-3. The Panthers standout placed second last July at the 2006 National Junior Olympic Track and Field Championships in Baltimore.

Fliger is psyched to perform on her home turf.

"Everyone can come and watch," said Fliger, seeded second behind Gabby Midles of Camas, who beat Fliger at the Junior Olympics. "There's usually a big crowd because it's something people haven't seen before."

Since the hammer is considered an exhibition competition, athletes won't be allowed to wear their high school uniforms.

The hammer consists of a handle, a thin wire and a weighted ball (12 pounds for boys and 4 kilograms, or about 8.8 pounds, for girls).

Richards took up the event at age 13 and Fliger started as a sophomore. They are both passionate about the often misunderstood pursuit and plan to compete in college.

Unlike throwing events such as discus and shot put, strength isn't nearly as important as technique in the hammer. Richards, for example, is 6 feet and weighs about 200 pounds - much less than most elite prep throwers.

But with assistance from Ken Weinbel, a former head track and field coach at Dartmouth University who runs a throwing club in West Seattle, Richards has become a fine-tuned competitor. This spring he has placed first at three in-state contests, including the University of Washington Outdoor Preview.

"It's such an exciting event," Richards said Thursday a few minutes after spinning and launching several impressive throws at the Snohomish pit.

"You get so much momentum," he said, "because when you turn, it's just a big torque ... and it just explodes. It's pretty amazing."

Richards throws the discus and shot put for Monroe, but the hammer is his true obsession. To do well, it requires excellent balance, quick feet and plenty of patience, he said. "But once you get it down, it just clicks."

Snohomish's Fliger, who also started with discus and shot put, originally didn't like the hammer. But with encouragement from former Panthers coach Mary Etter, Fliger gave it a try and ultimately changed her mind.

"I didn't really want to do it at first," Fliger said, "but then I just kept working at it ... and working my way up."

Her first attempt traveled just 72 feet, which seemed great at the time, she said. But now her personal record (144-8) is twice as far.

The unique, somewhat mysterious nature of the hammer keeps her coming back.

Said Fliger, "It's totally different than anything else."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:05 am

http://www.yakima-herald.com/page/sp/288705687036492

Published on Friday, April 20, 2007

Prep spotlight â€â€

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:07 am

http://www.kitsapsun.com/bsun/sp_preps/ ... 57,00.html

South Kitsap Invite Fit to Be Tied
North Kitsap's Cody Bradwell and South Kitsap's Kyle Stolp run to a rare tie in the 3,200.

By Terry Mosher, For the Kitsap Sun
April 22, 2007

PORT ORCHARD

Like Affirmed and Alydar’s battle in the 1978 Belmont Stakes, Cody Bradwell, a lanky senior from North Kitsap, and Kyle Stolp, a South Kitsap junior, put on a race for the ages Saturday at the 36th running of the South Kitsap Invitational track and field meet.

Neck and neck, the two 3,200-meter runners battled through eight laps at Joe Knowles Stadium and as the final lap started Bradwell, who was running the event for the first time this season, held a slight edge. Stolp pulled alongside of Bradwell and the two charged around the first turn like Affirmed and Alydar â€â€

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:15 am

http://www.sportstricities.com/sportstc ... 9787c.html

Notebook: Bombers hurdling among area's best

This story was published Thursday, April 26th, 2007

By Rene Ferran, Herald staff writer

A glance through the latest Mid-Columbia honor roll shows a bevy of Richland athletes among the area's hurdling best.

Three Bombers are listed in the boys ranks -- Isaac Butts (15.15 seconds) and Brady Douglass (15.85) in the 110-meter highs, and Butts (42.30) and Ted Blowe (41.88) in the 300s -- while four girls are ranked in the top eight after Martha Sanford ran a 47.73 in the 300 hurdles at last week's Richland WASL Twilight meet.

Sanford is the fourth Bomber on the 300s list with Caroline Hedel (46.16), Galia Deitz (46.64) and Gabby Brower (48.08), who is out with an injury but should be back before districts. Hedel (15.12) and Deitz (15.52) also are on the 100 highs list, an event in which both qualified for state last year.

"I think it's a little bit of luck," said Richland coach Jim Qualheim. "We just have a lot of hurdlers coming through right now."

Credit also goes to hurdles coach Leo Slack, the former Kennewick standout who took over the event from Qualheim this year.

"They just responded so well to him, I said, 'You take them,' " Qualheim said.

-- With Othello junior Courtney Kirkwood breaking the Mid-Columbia record in the girls javelin Saturday, throwing 160 feet, 10 inches at the Prosser Rotary Invite, that makes three area records to fall this season -- Prosser senior Nectaly Barbosa (800, 1,600) owns the other two.

That's the most in one year since 1999, when four were reset.

-- Hermiston senior Jennifer Macias, the area leader in the girls 1,500, 3,000 and 3,200 who placed second at the past two Oregon state cross country meets, recently signed with Oregon State University, where former Richland standout Cynthia Atencio (the area record-holder in the 1,600 and 3,200) is an assistant coach.

Return to “Washington”