Michael McGinnis (1954-2013)

All things masters pole vaulting.

Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

PVPhD
PV Fan
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, USATF Biomechanist
Lifetime Best: 4.67 m
Favorite Vaulter: Mike McGinnis

Unread postby PVPhD » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:46 am

I am sad to report that my best friend and twin brother, Mike McGinnis, died peacefully at home in Greenville, after a long and brave, but unwinnable, battle against Alzheimer's disease. Mike was with his wife, daughter, son, sisters, and brother when he took is his last breath on Sunday morning, February 10.

Mike vaulted 15' 7' while at Duke University. In the 1980's and 1990's he vaulted as often as he could in master's competitions in the Southeast and elsewhere. I would join him when I could. He coached high school vaulters in the Charlotte, NC area and later in the Greenville, SC area. What follows is my tribute to Mike that I posted on Facebook:

My best friend and identical twin brother, Mike McGinnis, died today after a long and brave, but unwinnable battle against Alzheimer’s disease.

Although I was born first, leading the way out of our mother’s womb 41 minutes before Mike, he led the way through most of our lives. I don’t know if he walked first, but at the beach he was always the first to go in the water. He dated first, bought a car first, got an apartment first, got married first, bought a house first, and started a family first. Unfortunately, he also developed Alzheimer’s first. I learned much from him by watching him lead the way in all these and other life events. He battled Alzheimer’s with bravery and dignity while keeping his sense of humor and cheerful nature.

As twins we were always compared and expected to compete against each other. We really didn’t compete against each other – we both just did the best at whatever we tried. I was usually better in academics and athletics. But Mike was better at what really mattered – relationships with people. He was more outgoing than me. He liked people and they liked him, so he made friends easily. I took advantage of this and his friends became my friends too. It only took him two tries at marriage to get it right – it took me three tries. He and his wife, Meredith, raised two beautiful children, Katie and Peter. They have grown up to be terrific people and I am so proud to be their uncle.

Ironically, although I was better at Mike at most athletic activities – I was not better than him at pole vaulting – and pole vaulting became a life long passion for both of us . In high school he vaulted 12’ 9” and placed in the Delaware State Championships. I vaulted 10 feet but the bar fell off, so my best high school vault was really only 9’ 6”. In college, Mike’s best vault was 15’ 7” during his senior year. During our four years of college Mike and I only competed against each other once while representing our respective schools, Duke University for Mike and Swarthmore College for me. That competition occurred at the 1976 Penn Relays during our senior year. The opening height for the Collegiate Championship Pole Vault was 15’, a height higher than I had ever vaulted. More than 30 vaulters were in the competition that day, but only four of us cleared a bar. Mike brought out the best in me and I cleared 15’ and tied for third place. Mike placed second by also clearing 15’ but with fewer misses, and a vaulter from UNC won the event at 15’ 6”. That 15’ vault was my highest collegiate vault and that day was one of the best days of my life.

After college we both tried to continue vaulting and eventually got old enough to vault in master’s competitions. Mike’s best vault was 15’ 7” and I would eventually vault 15’4” – just short of Mike’s best. In 2005 Mike and I had our last pole vault competition together at the Beach Vault in Ocean City, NJ. Mike was already beginning to suffer from the early stages of Alzheimer’s disease, but we had a terrific time – we both cleared unremarkable heights – but now height didn’t matter. Being with each other and doing what we both enjoyed - that was the best. That day was another one of the best days of my life.

As an identical twin, your identity is always linked with your twin. His actions affect you – your ego, how others feel about you, how you feel about yourself, and how you view the world. Anything your twin does – good or bad – can be blamed on you or credited to you. Mike was the best twin – he led a life that I admired and he only brought me credit. He loved people and they loved him. I have always been glad to be Mike McGinnis’s twin.

He was my twin, so this may sound odd, but I’ve always strived to be more like Mike – outgoing, trusting, and optimistic. He really enjoyed life. Perhaps this story will give you a clue about our differences. Our high school wrestling coach, Mr. Gary, had a hard time telling us apart. So, he would call out “McGinnis” – and we’d both look over. Mike would be smiling – but I would not. People thought I would have worry lines on my face before I was 20 years old because I was so serious – and they were right. I want to be more like Mike - and worry less and enjoy more.

Part of me died when Mike died – but part of Mike lives on in me – after all we came from the same egg and shared the same womb. I am heartbroken that he is gone - but he’s with me everyday - when I look in the mirror I see myself - but I also see Mike.

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”