Accomplished amateur Philippa Raschker honored

All things masters pole vaulting.

Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Accomplished amateur Philippa Raschker honored

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:47 pm

Accomplished amateur honored at taxing time
Karen Rosen - Staff Atlanta Journal
Tuesday, April 13, 2004

New York --- Tonight's ceremony for the 2003 Sullivan Award, where the nation's top amateur athlete will be announced, comes at a bad time of year for a candidate trying to make a living as a tax accountant.

Philippa "Phil" Raschker of Marietta didn't sleep for three days before leaving town so she could meet her clients' April 15 tax deadline. She also brought work with her.

"This is not the time to be away," said Raschker, 57, the most decorated masters track and field athlete in history with 68 world championships medals. Last month, she won a gold (high jump) and two silvers (pole vault and triple jump) while hobbled with a hamstring injury at the first World Indoor Masters Championships in her native Germany.

"Everybody's been very understanding," she said. "This is a once-in-a-lifetime deal. I'm going to get out of tax mode and into enjoyment mode."

Unlike her fellow nominees --- basketball stars LeBron James and Diana Taurasi, swimmer Michael Phelps and short track speedskater Apolo Anton Ohno --- Raschker receives no salary or training stipend and is not supported by a team.

She works out by herself and pays her way to meets around the world because track and field has given her confidence and the self-esteem she lacked growing up.

"I don't really enjoy training," Raschker said, "never have. I do it because I love to win."

But Raschker, nominated by the National Senior Games Association, said it would be "way too optimistic" to expect her name to be called out tonight at the New York Athletic Club. She said she would have voted for Taurasi, followed by Phelps. She believes James' current status as a highly-paid professional hurt his chances of winning the amateur award.

The AAU had expected James at the ceremony, then announced Friday that he wouldn't attend. The Cavaliers are off today and play the Knicks in New York on Wednesday night.

"To me I have won already, no matter what the outcome is," Raschker said. "No doubt about it, I never thought I'd make it this far. I have had such a terrific support group getting my name out there."

Raschker's 83-year-old mother, Efriede Arden, traveled from Germany for the award dinner. Raschker also will be joined by many people she's met on the masters circuit, including Pat Peterson, 77, of Albany, N.Y.

Peterson said that a former member of her club doesn't run in big meets because Raschker is there.

"I said, 'Look, if you have to lose, lose to a champion,' " said Peterson. "Phil works awfully hard. She's methodical in her skill. I'm a former physical education teacher, and her form is so beautiful to watch."

Raschker doesn't see herself retiring anytime soon. "I'm excited," she said, "every time I turn into a new age group."

Anyone wishing to congratulate Phil on her accomplishments and hard work can email her at STABHOCH@aol.com

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”