Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

TrackCEO
PV Fan
Expertise: Fan

Nadine keeps upping W70 WR

Unread postby TrackCEO » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:09 pm

From a National Masters News e-blast:

O'Connor Betters W70 Vault Mark
San Diego/Imperial Association Championships Chula Vista, California, June 9, 2012

For the second time this spring, Nadine O'Connor, W70, bettered the world pole vault mark. Competing at her association championships, O'Connor cleared 2.88 (9' 5 1/4") to best her 2.80 (9' 2 1/4") set this past April. Competing in the same meet Lin Dunton, W55, threw a season leading 34.98 (114' 9 1/4") in the hammer and also threw a personal season best in the javelin, 32.85 (107' 9 1/4"). Dunton also threw 10.65 (34' 11 1/4") in the shot put and 27.03 (88' 8 1/4") in the discus. In the M35 shot Din Villa threw 11.41 (37' 5 1/4") and 33.48 (109' 10") in the discus.

Vaulting prof
PV Fan
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Former Collegiate vaulter 1963-4, College coach

Re: Nadine keeps upping W70 WR

Unread postby Vaulting prof » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:17 pm

Nadine,
Congratulations! Very impressive.

Howard
Use it or loose it

nambi
PV Fan

Unread postby nambi » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:02 pm

Thanks.

This was an awesome meet, packed with amazing, talented, and ever so kind and supportive young athletes competing to try and get an A standard or to improve their marks. I wish more masters could have been there. The Olympic Training Center is a beautiful facility.

I have a question. This is the first time I have had a mark measured electronically. I am curious how the device works. The bar was first carefully measured with a measuring bar/stick at 2.90. Then, after my clearance the electronic measurement was 2.883. I have no problems with the measurement; I just wondered how they work and if any other master has had a mark measured with the device.

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:03 pm

Laser measurement devices work my calculating the time it takes for a beam to be sent and reflected back from an object.
This time is them converted into a distance.

These devices (unless a really cheap-o one) are very accurate. Mine, for example has a +/- 2mm accuracy over a 30 meter distance.

They must be "calibrated" to assure they are reading true. By that I mean it needs to be matched up with a known distance determined by a steel tape or a calibrated bar. I don't do that every meet, but I do before an indoor season and again before an outdoor season. So far, never have had to alter a thing.

That being said, mine is mounted on a "steel" stick (so I don't have to get down and dirty any more), and from the specific measurement point (in my case, the top of the laser) is programmed into the laser along with a crossbar offset of 30mm.
That 30mm offset allows a read (though the bar if you will), giving the appearance of reading at the top of the bar.

The key to using one of these devices is how steady can you hold the laser dot on the exact bottom of the bar. Not easy!

OK, enough science.

I've got to ask two questions ..
one) was the laser mounted on some "stick" and calibrated? and
two) why-o-why was your very nice height remeasured after you jumped? This is never done except under very
specific situations, and never to change what you already accomplished.

I'll be watching this forum so see what others may chime in with.

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Unread postby botakatobi » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:37 pm

If I interpret correctly the NCAA and USATF rule book, the bar is remeasured for a record attempt each time the bar is touched. This may or may not be the reason the bar was remeasured.

During my set up of the pole vault venue, I always measure the starting height with a certified steel metric tape measure. Then, I measure the same bar with a certified laser measurement device. They should be the same.

To ensure consistency with either device, I mark the center of the bar with a piece of tape. This is key with the laser as you are trying to find the small dot on a small diameter bar against a blue sky. I put a target or cross hair on a piece of tape in the center of the bar. This maximizes the chance that my dot will hit the same spot every time. As mentioned, it's a feat to be steady with the laser dot a 19 feet or greater.

Regarding the small variance between steel tape and laser, I am not surprised. I personally think steel tape measurement is only so close, especially when you are doing it from the ground. Years ago, my fellow officials and I would climb a ladder (not all together!) and look at the tape right at bar level. I think this was more accurate then trying to measure with the tape standing on the ground. Of course, we didn't have to move the front buns because there were none or they were very small.

In summary, I think the laser will be more accurate and that is the reason for the small measurement variance.

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:06 pm

please re-read the USATF rule on record attempt measurements.

The part you leaving out is "they must re-check the height before each subsequent attempt if the bar has been displaced for any reason or touched since last measured".

I underlined subsequent because that means to re-check for the next vaulter who is also jumping at the record height .. not the vaulter who just cleared.

if its the same vaulter jumping at the subsequent height, sure, you must measure the new record height. of course it is obvious that for any displacment (a miss) you must measure.

I've been involved with some National record measurements and American record measurements in the vault (at the elite levels and scholastic levels) as well as a couple masters WR.. they were NOT remeasured by the officials/referee conducting the event. The results stand.

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:53 am

Congrats Nadine awesome jump!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:31 am

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:09 pm

Wow,Wow, Wow Nadine you are really gettin' it done congrats again!

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”