All things masters pole vaulting.

Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

jumpinjoe
PV Newbie
Expertise: masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.56

Use of glove(s) in PV?

Unread postby jumpinjoe » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:30 am

Anyone know the basis for the rule (USATF Competition Rules, 183.3) "Gloves may not be worn" in Pole Vault?
Is it about time that this one should be removed? Anyone know the procedure for getting it removed?

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Re: Use of glove(s) in PV?

Unread postby VaultPurple » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:55 am

It is a good USATF rule because they govern mainly junior club teams with new pole vaultera. And most new vaulters are like, hey i should use gloves for a better grip or warm hands. But if you have ever tried to do high bar drills or pull ips with gloves you will notice the glove does not slide on the bar but your hand slides in the glove and requires you to grip much tighter to hold on. And if you try to vault in them it makes it hard to feel the pole in your hand and makes gripling harder if the glove slides any or if it is not fitting perfectly.

The NCAA actually allows them but I am yet to see any college athlete that chooses to vault im gloves. I personally think they are more dangerous because they make gripping more difficult.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:25 am

jumpinjoe wrote:Anyone know the basis for the rule (USATF Competition Rules, 183.3) "Gloves may not be worn" in Pole Vault?
Is it about time that this one should be removed? Anyone know the procedure for getting it removed?

There is a process for submitting rule changes in advance of the USATF Annual Meeting where they are then voted on in even numbered years.

Does the IAAF allow gloves? USATF generally tries to go along with IAAF rules.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:45 am

VaultPurple wrote:It is a good USATF rule because they govern mainly junior club teams with new pole vaultera. And most new vaulters are like, hey i should use gloves for a better grip or warm hands. But if you have ever tried to do high bar drills or pull ips with gloves you will notice the glove does not slide on the bar but your hand slides in the glove and requires you to grip much tighter to hold on. And if you try to vault in them it makes it hard to feel the pole in your hand and makes gripling harder if the glove slides any or if it is not fitting perfectly.

The NCAA actually allows them but I am yet to see any college athlete that chooses to vault im gloves. I personally think they are more dangerous because they make gripping more difficult.

My experience is quite the opposite. I use gloves in practice often, especially if it is cold. I also use them doing workouts with weights or pullups or bubkas. Of course there are many types of gloves. Some are for improving grip, others to eliminate grip. I do not use them in competition because they are not allowed in masters competition as far as I know.

I find it rather inconsistent that a vaulter can literally glue their hands to the pole, but they can't use a glove to improve their grip on the pole. :confused:
- master . . . http://www.plvlt.com

charlie
PV Pro

Unread postby charlie » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:47 pm

Right on Master!!!1 All my vaulters use gloves in the winter AND stickum!!! We Vault a lot (4 days a week all year round) It also prevents BLISTERS!!!!Common sens is gone out the window--You can use GLUE but no sticky gloves? You Figure!!!!1

PVdancer
PV Newbie

Unread postby PVdancer » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:21 pm

Living in Iowa, I've found that when it's cold outside, it really helps to wear gloves (the football kind with a tacky vinyl). I've used them before in warm-ups during college meets, but took them off for competition since I didn't know if it was legal. It's true that I don't feel my grip is as good with the gloves on (or I'm just not used to it) so when I get to the higher heights at practice, I take them off. Also, I figure it's not a good thing to get used to wearing them all the time and then not be able to wear them for competition. I have vaulted in meets where my hands were almost numb from the cold, so in those conditions my grip would probably be better with the gloves on! Nice for us masters to have the option!

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:36 am

PVdancer wrote:Nice for us masters to have the option!

I must have missed it. Where does it say masters can wear gloves?
- master . . . http://www.plvlt.com

PVdancer
PV Newbie

Unread postby PVdancer » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Sorry! I meant that it WOULD be nice to have the option! As far as I know, it's still illegal to wear gloves for us masters!

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”