JorVilla44
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Future Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.62m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Advice, lessons learn for starting to Pole Vault again at 37

Unread postby JorVilla44 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:35 pm

I am a 37 year old male (5' 5 1/2", 175 lbs) looking to start pole vaulting again. My Lifetime PR is 15' 2" back when I was 145-150lbs in High School. I walked on in College but I stop (money+injuries) before I cleared any official heights. I visited my old HS and on a whim I vaulted again. I was overweight and out of shape and I managed to clear 10 feet and more importantly I realized how much I loved to vault.

Discovering Masters Track & Field I see that there is no reason that I can’t pursue what I have always loved to do.

My questions for you all are:
What is the best way to get this body into proper vaulting shape?
What can I do to mitigate risk of some common injuries?
Should I start with a training pole before switching to a real pole?
What pole size should I start with? I don’t think I can get on a 15’ 6” pole just yet.
Is there anyone in the Austin Texas area who knows where I can get pit access for practice?

Some physical history: High Hamstring Tear (left leg) in HS, had some problems with shin splints if I shock my legs: shoulders, knees, back, and ankles are good but out of shape

Any of your collective wisdom is appreciated

Thanks,

Jorge

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Re: Advice, lessons learn for starting to Pole Vault again at 37

Unread postby vaultmd » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:08 am

Kris Allison has an indoor facility in New Braunfels with a pretty complete set of poles. He may also know of a place closer to you; but I would just go to Kris's because it's indoors and he has every pole you would need until you figure out what to buy.
http://www.lonestarpv.com/index.htm

JorVilla44
PV Newbie

Unread postby JorVilla44 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:53 pm

Vaultmd,

Thanks for your reply. I will look Kris Allison up and see if he can give me some guidance. Right now I am working on losing some weight, cardio, and getting my legs stronger for the jumping and impact. I am taking my time preparing my body. Any other advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

Jorge

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:10 pm

JorVilla44 wrote:... Right now I am working on losing some weight, cardio, and getting my legs stronger for the jumping and impact. I am taking my time preparing my body.

:yes: :yes: That is an excellent plan. You are relatively young and will likely be able to progress faster than I did. That being said, avoid the desire to test your limits too soon. While doing your conditioning you can also be developing traits that will be very helpful when you get on the runway. For example, a consistent approach run can reduce the possibility of an injury at take off. So practicing proper pole carry, drop and plant while doing pole runs would be very useful. Find a way to know check your step so you can develop consistency. This should be done going at less than 100% effort so when you do go at 100%, the skill will be there.

There are many drills that will help prepare the body for the stresses of the vault and at the same time develop skills that will facilitate success in vaulting. I think the key is to approach them focusing on form and very gradually increase speed and energy level. You already know you are able to vault, now you want to prepare your body so you can enjoy doing the vault. Most of us older vaulters know that a large percentage of any success we have is simply being healthy enough to go to meets and compete.

It would also be advisable to find a source of coaching. Obviously a person that can work with you would be good, but a lot can be learned from DVD's, web videos and books. I personally recommend "Beginner to Bubka and Isenbayeva too" by Alan Launder (Altius on this site), available in a few places including this web site's store.
- master . . . http://www.plvlt.com

JorVilla44
PV Newbie

Unread postby JorVilla44 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:02 pm

Update:
I have managed to stay healthy and slowly reducing my weight (from 175 to ~157 lbs now) and increasing my leg strength and speed. I still have plenty of work ahead of me (especially on my speed) but I am being patient with my body to avoid injury. One major item is that I found a place to jump that has a cache of poles. Many thanks to Brian Elmore over at McNeil High School for having a place where "older" vaulters can come and jump. Getting up in the air again was well worth the aches and pains that followed.

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:41 pm

That's awesome. Brian helped Kris get started some years ago.

Did you get to see Kaitlyn jump last year?

Say hi to Brian for me.

And a belated Happy Independence Day to you. I prefer to remember that day than the 6th.

htheodore
PV Whiz

Unread postby htheodore » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:24 pm

Elmore is the man!!

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:08 am

Congratulations on the weight loss. That will have many advantages for fitness, health and vaulting. Welcome back to vaulting and I hope it is a life-long and enjoyable endeavor for you.
- master . . . http://www.plvlt.com

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:30 am

JorVilla44 wrote:Update:
I have managed to stay healthy and slowly reducing my weight (from 175 to ~157 lbs now) and increasing my leg strength and speed. I still have plenty of work ahead of me (especially on my speed) but I am being patient with my body to avoid injury. One major item is that I found a place to jump that has a cache of poles. Many thanks to Brian Elmore over at McNeil High School for having a place where "older" vaulters can come and jump. Getting up in the air again was well worth the aches and pains that followed.

Congratulations! That's great!

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51

Unread postby Bubba PV » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:57 pm

Congrats on your success and welcome back. You couldn't have a better go to guy than Brian. Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:00 am

Here are a few stories of other vaulters who came back - link on top - http://www.bubbapv.com/Pages/DoYouLovetoPV.htm
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”