Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Mike Markham still likes to fly

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:02 pm

http://www.thefoothillsfocus.com/060910 ... tcoach.asp

Falcons Vault Coach Still Likes To Fly
MARC BUCKHOUT ~ MANAGING EDITOR ~ 6/9/2010

How people respond to life has always been a matter of perspective. For Cave Creek resident Mike Markham the view while falling toward the ground after a successful vault has always been one he enjoys.
After a successful pole vaulting career, which included a national championship in 1964 at the junior college level while attending Phoenix College and a Western Athletic Conference Championship during his days at Arizona State University in the mid 1960s, Markham would eventually leave the sport.
At one point the sixth ranked indoor pole vaulter in the world Markham cleared 16’10” back in 1970 while competing with the Pacific Coast
Club in California.
“I really thought I had a chance of making the Olympic team, but it didn’t work out,” he said. “I had a lot of fun, but I eventually burned out and walked away from it.”
Some 35 plus years later while teaching a summer art camp with his wife within the Cave Creek Unified School District, Markham was drawn back to the sport he loves, asked to help as a vault coach at Cactus Shadows High School.
“When I was in grad school at ASU I continued to stay around the team, as I guess you’d say a coach, but back then everybody was their own coach really,” he said. “Back then at ASU we had one coach for the whole team. It’s not like today where you have a coach for every single event.”
Initially unsure how interested he was in coaching, or what he would have to offer, Markham quickly discovered it would be something he’d stick with.
“I figured I couldn’t ask them to do something that I couldn’t do so I decided I’d better get back out there and do it myself,” he said.
The results were predictable, even after more than 35 years.
“I was bit by the bug,” he said. “It’s like that Eagles song. You can check out anytime you want, but you can’t ever leave.”
Markham, once an aspiring high jumper, was deemed too short and was pushed toward the pole vault during his youth.
As a coach he said he’s willing to work with whoever is interested in investing the time.
“Somebody that has the initiative to work hard is the biggest thing I’m looking for,” he said. “This isn’t an instant gratification sport. Ideally you’re looking for somebody with some gymnastic ability with regard to body control. You want somebody that can run well, not necessarily with great speed, but one that has a good rhythm. Beyond that anybody can do it if they’re willing to put in the time.”
Markham’s biggest thrill, in what has now turned into a four-year coaching career at Cactus Shadows, was working with Gus Myers, a 2009 graduate, who won the 4A Div-I state championship by clearing 15 feet.
“It took three years, but we got a state champion. That was really a thrill,” he said. “The year before I started coaching he was cut from the team as a freshman. So to work with him, see him improve and then do so well was really exciting.”
And by working with his Falcons team Markham discovered that with just a little dusting off of the rust he still had some of his long ago abandoned skills.
“More than anything I missed the camaraderie,” he said. “There are still a lot of the guys that I jumped with back in college that are around. We’ve kept in touch over the years and they’d say come on out and hurt yourself with the rest of us.”
When asked to explain what keeps the fraternity of jumpers active in the sport despite their advanced age Markham quoted a similarly aged music legend, Willie Nelson.
“He wasn’t talking about pole vaulting, but he said it’s something you can’t put your finger on. It won’t go into words, but I know what it means.”
While the recovery time after vaulting is more extensive, as Markham generally only vaults once a week, his talent for the sport is still there.
At the USATF State Championship at Mesa Community College, May 29-30, Markham vaulted 10 feet to win the 65-69 age group in the event. His effort also was good enough to tie for second nationally.
“I was hoping I’d make 11 feet,” he said. “I did that in practice, but I guess 10’0” was an Arizona record in my age group. I’m still working to keep getting better. You’re always hoping for that perfect vault. I’ve experienced it maybe a half a dozen times in my life. It’s a real rush.”
As for his future Markham, an Arizona resident since 1947, said that he has some talented, dedicated athletes at Cactus Shadows that still make coaching fun. As a competitor himself he said he’d like to stick around long enough to advance to the next age group.
Once again proving that one’s perspective can make all the difference Markham points out that at 65 he was the rookie in his age bracket this year.
“We’ve got a guy that lives out in Sun City who is 80 that still gets out and vaults once in a while,” he said. “I have some issues with arthritis, but I’d at least like to make it to 70. This keeps me young. We joke that the guy that wins is the one that doesn’t get hurt too bad and can come back and vault again next week.”

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”