Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: 2010 World Masters Indoor Kamloops, results

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:51 pm

Master ... congratulations on the DOUBLE PR! Has Bubka or Isi ever set TWO WRs in a single day? I don't think so! Only THE Master can pull off a double-whammy like that! :yes:

I guess when they start paying you megabucks per WR, then you'll "save it for another day" ... but until then, heck ... go nuts! I know you had one meet a few years ago when you called it a day after a WR due to slight injury ... smart. But when you're healthy, then why not go for it! And you did! :yes:

Sounds like you were so "in the zone" that you completely forgot to put your helmet on for your 2nd WR of the day! ;)

To all you young'uns out there, if you look on Master's bio, you'll see that his liftime best is 4.36. That was when he was young, agile, and healthy. Now that he's ... er ... older ... STILL agile, and STILL healthy, his SB is only 0.31 under his PB! That's just 12.2" under his career PR! Amazing!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:12 pm

Actually, Isi has done two WR in a day at least twice. But John is still a rock star :)

Pogo Stick
PV Pro
Expertise: Former "College" Vaulter, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70/15'5
Favorite Vaulter: Władysław Kozakiewicz

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:19 pm

master wrote:Pogo Stick, I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you and see you jump. I was thinking you were in the M40 group. Hopefully another time.

- master

No worries, we wil meet some other time. At least, I saw you on the video and now will recognize you next time. ;-)
Maybe is not bad idea to exchange or publish photos before competition?
I had not time to hang around and meet other guys. We arrived in Kamloops night before around 11PM, then we oversleep and I was almost late. We went back to Vancouver after competition because my wife and I had to go to work next day (we are saving our vacation days for summer).
-- Pogo

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory." W. Edwards Deming

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:32 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Actually, Isi has done two WR in a day at least twice. But John is still a rock star :)

Actually, I have set two WR in a day before this past Friday (http://polevaulting.johnaltendorf.com/j ... esults.htm Feb 11, 2007). And Becca, you were even there watching me. ;) On that page are links to the video evidence! So I have done a double WR day twice. Now if Isi has done more, I can't yet match that.

I considered trying another height (I consciously decided not to jump anymore). I may regret not going again, but I was very happy with my results for the day and I felt very badly that the next group of vaulters (M55) were being held up by my efforts at records. It wasn't totally because of me, because my group was brought out to the track an hour late, but my jumping was just adding to that.

Kirk, you compared my life time best to my current. Right now I'm trying to get to my HS best which is 13' 4.5" so a 4.08m jump would give me a (very slightly) better PR than I had in 1964 at 18 years old.

- master
Last edited by master on Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

master
PV Lover

Unread postby master » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:49 pm

KirkB wrote:Sounds like you were so "in the zone" that you completely forgot to put your helmet on for your 2nd WR of the day! ;)
Kirk

That is the only thing I can use to explain what happened. Until I was done, I did not even know I had jumped 3 times without and 4 times with my helmet. A photographer nearby that overheard the conversation where someone had asked me why I decided not to wear my helmet on the 4.05 jump stepped in and showed me the photo he took of my jump. That was the first I had realized this had happened. I must say that at this meet I was trying to stay very focused and visualizing the jump I wanted to make when it was time to execute. Normally I don't take my helmet off during a competition but at this one my head felt hot and so I would take it off after a jump and wipe my head and, I thought, put it back on each time before the next jump. But obviously that didn't happen.

Another strange thing is that in August of 2009 I had cataract surgery and the lenses I had implanted provided me with good distance vision in one eye so that I didn't have to wear glasses for distance vision. So I took advantage of that and haven't worn any for practice or meets. But in the middle of the competition, I realized I hadn't taken my glasses off before I started jumping. So I had a decision to make; keep wearing them, or take them off at that time. I decided all was going well and I didn't want to have anything disrupt that so I just kept wearing them.

There were a couple other unusual things that happened that day, but they can wait for another post.

- master

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:57 pm

Should have kept going as you had plenty of height. They finally let us out of the call room to watch and you stopped. U 'D Man!! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Pogo Stick
PV Pro
Expertise: Former "College" Vaulter, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70/15'5
Favorite Vaulter: Władysław Kozakiewicz

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:02 am

master wrote:Pogo Stick, I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you and see you jump. I was thinking you were in the M40 group. Hopefully another time.
- master

You can see all my 3 attempts at 3.35m here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU8cIypl8Pw
I am at 3:06, 3:58 and 4:02 - white singlet & green pole. All 3 jumps were pretty bad. As an excuse I can say that I was not vaulting since last July but improved my best master result by 1ft. :yes:
-- Pogo

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory." W. Edwards Deming

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN

Unread postby Bubba PV » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:58 am

All the right pieces are there. Nice jumps. Bigger pole Dude!! Bubba

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:40 pm

Congrats to all the masters vaulters...watching you guys jump is what inspired me to get back into the sport.
Nice results for RTB Vault Club...two golds (John & Becky), one silver (Terry), and one bronze (Dan), with 2 WR's thrown in! Way to represent!

Hey John, I seem to remember you clearing 4.02 last summer at the PDX Masters Classic...maybe the record wasn't ratified? Great story about the helmet and glasses...you must have been even more focused than usual! What pole/grip/run were you using? Keep up the good work and stay healthy, hope we can be there for your next WR

Tom

Bubba PV
PV Lover

Unread postby Bubba PV » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:47 pm

Thanks for the reminder. I got a text from Kirk Bentz, who was riding with John. He said that as they strapped to poles on the truck that they counted 4 golds, a sliver and bronze won on just the poles on their truck. Our Texas girl Helen Croskell won the W35 and he had her poles too. Congrats to all! Bubba

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:02 pm

tsorenson wrote:Congrats to all the masters vaulters...watching you guys jump is what inspired me to get back into the sport.
Nice results for RTB Vault Club...two golds (John & Becky), one silver (Terry), and one bronze (Dan), with 2 WR's thrown in! Way to represent!

Hey John, I seem to remember you clearing 4.02 last summer at the PDX Masters Classic...maybe the record wasn't ratified? Great story about the helmet and glasses...you must have been even more focused than usual! What pole/grip/run were you using? Keep up the good work and stay healthy, hope we can be there for your next WR

Tom

Separate records for indoor and outdoor.

master
PV Lover

Unread postby master » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:05 pm

I have posted some info and links on the web page where I keep track of my meet results. There are links to another video of the 4.05 vault and some photos taken by an Ontario Canada masters runner that provides photos and stories for his Ontario Masters Athletics website.

Tom, here are my numbers and comments. For once I was good about keeping notes.

Altendorf, John M63 United States 4.05mR
3.45 3.90 4.02 4.05
O XO XXO O
all poles were 13-6 pacerFX; 8L from 94'4"; 13'3" grip; trying to hit 11'0" take off
3.45 - 160# stds 80 too soft so move up
3.90 - 165# stds 80 both jumps
4.02 - softer 170# stds 70 runup too far out - bailed
4.02 - same pole and stds - high enough but chest hit bar on way down
4.02 - same pole but stds to 65 - clean clearance - WR
4.05 - same pole, stds to 65 - slight touch of bar but it stayed up - WR
I chose not to attempt any additional heights.

- master

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”