Pogo Stick making a Masters comeback!

All things masters pole vaulting.

Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

Pogo Stick
PV Pro
Expertise: Former "College" Vaulter, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70/15'5
Favorite Vaulter: Władysław Kozakiewicz

Re: Pogo Stick making a Masters comeback!

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Thu May 21, 2009 2:41 am

Bubba PV wrote:Great thread and great contributions!! My LOVES for today!!

• That PogoStick is jumping again and having fun. Favorite vaulter- Wally? Heck yes!!

I will never forget that competition at 1980 Olympics. I think this is the first time that world record was set at Olympics games, but also Kozakiewicz's victory had huge symbolical and political dimension (I would not go into details). That was the one of the greatest moments in sport history. Second on my list is Bubka and third is Tadeusz Slusarski - a man with gold and silver from two consecutive Olympic Games.
-- Pogo

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory." W. Edwards Deming

Pogo Stick
PV Pro

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Thu May 21, 2009 3:38 am

master wrote:
Pogo Stick wrote:...I did not listen my body and warning signs. ...

Masters Rule Number 1: Listen to your body!
Masters Rule Number 2: Listen to your body!

and in case you can't guess...
Masters Rule Number 3: Listen to your body!

Now that I have your attention, I can tell you it took me 2+ years at the beginning of my 'comeback' to learn those 3 lessons. I had two serious hamstring pulls in EACH leg in those first years. That is not very much fun. There were other problems too. To compete you have to be able to run down the runway. As an old guy (now 63) I know it takes so much longer to truly recover from a serious pull, there is no situation that justifies taking the risk of injury.

I was waiting too long for that jump and I needed to prove myself that I can still do it. I was ready to take that risk and you know what: "non, je ne regrette rien". This few short moments in the air are worth even more - I found peace now with myself. From now on, I can be (and will be) smart and responsible. I also had history of trials and errors (injuries), but I like to hear a word from anyone whith that "been there, done that" experience. As my grampa used to say: "Man and donkey are smarter than man itself" (I am considering myself as donkey).
Today I went to the pool and hot tub and I feel better, although I don't know for sure if my leg will be ok for Saturday. I am considering now plan C: carrying pole as usual but perform take-off from healthy leg. I still have trouble with visualising such "technique".
Last edited by Pogo Stick on Sun May 24, 2009 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Pogo

Duncan
PV Beginner

Unread postby Duncan » Thu May 21, 2009 1:10 pm

Pogo - I feel your pain - I dinged my hamstring (Biceps Femoris short head – same as you) a few months ago. Had to miss indoor nationals. I just turned 45 this week. Was having a fun winter working out here in NJ with ipolevault – learning good stuff and setting myself up for a good summer – dinged the hammy on the 2nd to last practice. And it is still nagging me. I did not really hurt it badly – I did not feel it jumping at all – it kind of said hello to me when I stood up getting ready for a jump. So being smarter than I was a few years ago I called it a day after only about 5 jumps. Took it easy for about 3 weeks…then felt it again while running some fast 200’s – I kicked in the hard workouts too soon because I did not think I had really hurt it. Since then I have been very easy on it … if I feel anything I back off. I am up to doing some 5 step vaults – limiting myself to 10 vaults in a practice. I have a meet the first weekend in June – hope to do a 6 step at the meet. We’ll see.
Duncan

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Thu May 21, 2009 1:26 pm

Thanks for the reminder Duncan. I too had a little ding that I didn’t think was an injury that kept creeping back in every time I thought I was well. The reality is that we are now in the position of managing injuries, even when we don't yet have them. Bubba

PS – see you at Nationals?
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Pogo Stick
PV Pro

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Sun May 24, 2009 12:59 am

Pogo Stick wrote:Today I went to the pool and hot tub and I feel better, although I don't know for sure if my leg will be ok for Saturday. I am considering now plan C: carrying pole as usual but perform take-off from healthy leg. I still have trouble with visualising such "technique".

It is Saturday and the leg is not ok, but I made first official vault after 20 years thanks to Gerard Dumas a.k.a. Roger/Over.
:yes:
I made one jump over 1.30m from few steps, almost by walking. II did not feel any pain, so there was no additional stress on injured leg. I called off after that and enjoyed watching.
I have official result now. I am officially Masters Vaulter. :D
-- Pogo

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun May 24, 2009 1:18 am

Pogo Stick wrote:
Pogo Stick wrote:Today I went to the pool and hot tub and I feel better, although I don't know for sure if my leg will be ok for Saturday. I am considering now plan C: carrying pole as usual but perform take-off from healthy leg. I still have trouble with visualising such "technique".

It is Saturday and the leg is not ok, but I made first official vault after 20 years thanks to Gerard Dumas a.k.a. Roger/Over.
:yes:
I made one jump over 1.30m from few steps, almost by walking. II did not feel any pain, so there was no additional stress on injured leg. I called off after that and enjoyed watching.
I have official result now. I am officially Masters Vaulter. :D

Roger/Over is Roger Ruth. I don't think Gerard posts on here!

Pogo Stick
PV Pro

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Sun May 24, 2009 2:57 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
Roger/Over is Roger Ruth. I don't think Gerard posts on here!

:o
My apologies to both Gerard and Roger who, by the way, still holding Canadian record in M40, M45 and M50 age groups.
-- Pogo

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sun May 24, 2009 8:00 am

Hey Duncan. Shoot me an email about your mysterious hammy. I'm having something similar. It didn't feel bad at all but it's very slow to go away. Thanks Man! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”