Kamloops Awarded the 4th WMA Indoor Championships in 2010

All things masters pole vaulting.

Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

DBH027
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, High School Coach, Former College Coach

Re: Kamloops Awarded the 4th WMA Indoor Championships in 2010

Unread postby DBH027 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:50 pm

Bubba PV wrote:There isn't any info about flying on the travel provider's website. Do you fly into Vancouver and drive since poles won’t make it on the smaller planes? Sounds like a great trip and will be the closest they have this to the US so I'd like to go. Any logistical advice will be helpful. Thanks so much! Bubba

PS – for example, we flew into KC (200 miles away) for Drake because the flight was so much less than going directly into Des Moines that it paid for the rental car and then some. Don’t know how driving would be that time of year but I wouldn’t even mind flying into Seattle, and drove from there, if that made more sense. I just don’t know enough about it yet to decide. Thanks for the advice!! Bubba

Bubba, let me know when you decide where to fly, I can get to Vancouver pretty easy from Chicago on United and they take poles, although they charge you a mint for them ($175).

If you go the Vancouver route perhaps we can coordinate and share a rental.

Dan

Pogo Stick
PV Pro
Expertise: Former "College" Vaulter, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70/15'5
Favorite Vaulter: Władysław Kozakiewicz

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:53 am

Bubba, let me know when you decide where to fly, I can get to Vancouver pretty easy from Chicago on United and they take poles, although they charge you a mint for them ($175).

Dan

I would rather avoid Vancouver airport (YVR) in March next year because of Winter Olympic Games. Abbotsford also has an international airport (YXX) and it is closer to Kamloops (maybe 2.5 hours of driving). I don't think there are direct flights to Abbotsford from US, but this could be changed during Olympic Games. Flying to Seattle or even better to Bellingham and renting car is probably your best option. Regarding driving conditions I don't think this should be a problem for someone who live in Chicago. ;) If you stuck in the snow, just phone me and I will pick you up on my way to Kamloops. :)
-- Pogo

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory." W. Edwards Deming

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:38 pm

Pogo Stick wrote:

Dan

I would rather avoid Vancouver airport (YVR) in March next year because of Winter Olympic Games. Abbotsford also has an international airport (YXX) and it is closer to Kamloops (maybe 2.5 hours of driving). I don't think there are direct flights to Abbotsford from US, but this could be changed during Olympic Games. Flying to Seattle or even better to Bellingham and renting car is probably your best option. Regarding driving conditions I don't think this should be a problem for someone who live in Chicago. ;) If you stuck in the snow, just phone me and I will pick you up on my way to Kamloops. :)

I really doubt any planes fly into Bellingham or Abbotsford that take poles, but they might be options if you're not taking poles.

Pogo Stick
PV Pro

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:16 pm

Pogo Stick wrote:

Dan

I was in Kamloops this weekend at Canadian Masters Championship and have some update about road. The road (Highway 5) is very nice and scenic is beautiful, but the ascent between Hope and Merritt (Coquihalla Summit) is pretty steep. It goes from almost sea level to 1200m (4000ft). It does not look so steep, but my old Plymouth Voyager had few complains. I turned AC off and slowed down to 60km/h to avoid overheating. Friend who is truck driver has told me that Coquihalla can be pretty unpredictable during the winter and spring, but highway is well maintained. Good winter tires are necessary, 4x4 and/or chains will help you to feel safe and ready for everything. You can have nice sunny day in March, but also ice in May. If you have no experience in winter driving condition, it looks safer to go with plane. With five Ontario winters under my belt, and passing Rocky Mountains under the snow (in May!) I am feeling pretty comfortable.
Does any of fellow Canadians know if taking HWY 1 will be better option?
-- Pogo

Pogo Stick
PV Pro

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:19 am

Pogo Stick wrote:
Pogo Stick wrote:

Dan

I was in Kamloops this weekend at Canadian Masters Championship and have some update about road. The road (Highway 5) is very nice and scenic is beautiful, but the ascent between Hope and Merritt (Coquihalla Summit) is pretty steep. It goes from almost sea level to 1200m (4000ft). It does not look so steep, but my old Plymouth Voyager had few complains. I turned AC off and slowed down to 60km/h to avoid overheating. Friend who is truck driver has told me that Coquihalla can be pretty unpredictable during the winter and spring, but highway is well maintained. Good winter tires are necessary, 4x4 and/or chains will help you to feel safe and ready for everything. You can have nice sunny day in March, but also ice in May. If you have no experience in winter driving condition, it looks safer to go with plane. With five Ontario winters under my belt, and passing Rocky Mountains under the snow (in May!) I am feeling pretty comfortable.
Does any of fellow Canadians know if taking HWY 1 will be better option?

This is what Kirk B. - a man with over 50 years of experience with BC roads has to says:
The Merrit route to Kamloops (HWY 5) is better than up the Fraser Canyon (HWY 1). It's shorter and faster, and the roads are better maintained. As you pointed out, it's a steep climb to Merrit, but is easily navigable by rental cars, so I wouldn't discourage people from driving.
-- Pogo

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:46 pm

how do you qualify for this meet?
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

Pogo Stick
PV Pro

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:51 am

Robert schmitt wrote:how do you qualify for this meet?

It seems there is no qualification standards. There are entry rules for Canadian athletes on website, but I think the same simply rules apply for all countries: you need to be old enough to compete, be citizen or permanent resident of the country you represent andbe member of national masters association.
http://www.kamloops2010masters.com/athletes_Critiria.php
-- Pogo

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:46 pm

Has anyonr been able to register for this yet? I've called USATF twice and they don't seem to have an answer as to if they are creating thier own forms or how to proceed.

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:28 pm

Back in 2000 the WAVA champs were in Kamloops. I don't think the entry form had anything to do with USATF and there were no qualifying standards.

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:58 pm

I was told both by the meet organizers and USATF that I have to register thru the USATF and after 2mo. USATF has not been able to tell me how to do this.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:58 pm

Robert,

I have only had one experience attending a WMA championship (2008 in France). At that time, you had to sign up with USATF and then USATF submitted all entry forms to the WMA host. That meant you had to sign up with USATF several weeks before the WMA cutoff date.

I just checked the online site and read this on the entry form that is downloadable. (http://www.kamloops2010masters.com/docs/entry_form.pdf)

5. ENTRY SYSTEM
All entries of athletes affiliated to the WMA are to be sent to the Masters National Affiliate of their country. Entries will not be accepted without a validation stamp from that affiliate.

6. DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES
January 9th, 2010. Late entries may be accepted but are not guaranteed to be included in the Championships’ official program. Late entry forms and a late fee of $25.00 CDN per event must be returned to the organizing committee no later than February 9th, 2010. No entries will be accepted after this date.

So this seems consistent with my one experience.

- master

PS I think it's a "if you pay you can play" competition.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:26 am

The entry info should be here (when it exists): http://www.usatf.org/events/2010/WorldM ... ipsIndoor/

Ken Stone is looking into it.

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”