Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Steve Owen competes for love of pole vaulting

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:25 am

http://www.mlive.com/sports/grpress/ind ... xml&coll=6

Holland's Owen competes for love of pole vaulting
Sunday, July 20, 2008
By Steve Ungrey
The Grand Rapids Press
Steve Owen stayed around for several hours to help in the cleanup process after the two-day beach vault competition concluded along Lake Michigan's shores.

It was a long weekend for the Holland resident, who not only helped with the setup and teardown process, but also competed Sunday in the event just south of Grand Haven State Park.

Owen made the most of his beach time, winning the masters 55-59 male category with a leap of 8 feet, 6 inches.

"I'm just a worker," Owen said. "I'm not an Olympic type. I do this just for fun and for the exercise."

He gets a lot of exercise. Steve and his brother Denny own Owen Excavating. One of their jobs was to create the jumping pits for the event.

"I'm one of those that was responsible for leveling all the ground, putting in the pits and stuff," Owen said. "We used a front-end loader and carried all the equipment down to the shore, and then when we were done we put it all back in the trucks. I think I was there until about 10 p.m."

Owen has a background in the sport. The 1971 West Ottawa graduate competed on the school's track team in -- what else? -- pole vault.

His sons took up the sport as well. Charles, nicknamed "Chip" for short, was a Class A/Division 1 state champion in 1998 (15-3) and 1999 (15-2). Lee, Steve's younger son, also competed.

"I'm glad I grew up at West Ottawa, and that my sons had the same chance I did," Owen said.

Through his sons' track involvement, Owen came in contact with beach vault organizer Kevin Patterson and veteran track coach Dave Emeott.

When the event started seven years ago, Owen was there. As he has gotten older, Owen said some people have looked at him funny when it comes to vaulting.

"I do this for the exercise," Owen said. "What a perfect place to have a workout like this. There are former Olympians out there, and I'm not an Olympic type. I have gone to the Senior Olympics before, and people have done much better than I have there.

"There are people that look at me and go, 'What are you thinking?' But I do this because I enjoy it. As long as I have the agility to continue this, I'll be there."

1yeldud1
PV Pro

Re: Steve Owen competes for love of pole vaulting

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:09 pm

The Missouri Travelers wish to say thanks to Mr. Owen for all the work he has done for the Beach Vault - with the ever changing conditions on Lake Michigan Mr Owen has "saved the day" several times over the years for the vauletrs. THANKS !!!!!!

Vaulting prof
PV Fan
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Former Collegiate vaulter 1963-4, College coach

Re: Steve Owen competes for love of pole vaulting

Unread postby Vaulting prof » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:22 pm

Hey, Steve great to see you getting some recognition for all you have contributed to pole vaulting and
the Beach vault in particular. It's been great getting to know you as a fellow Michigan masters vaulter.
You were one of the inspiring vaulters that got me to commit to getting back into pole vaulting at the
Michigan Senior Olympics about 4 years ago. Keep on jumping Thanks.

Howard aka vaulting prof
Use it or loose it

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”