I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

New New Zealand Masters Record

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:43 am

http://www.odt.co.nz/cgi-bin/getitem?da ... &type=html

Edit: I can't get that link to work, but go here and then click on sports and scroll down until you find the article.

Murphy adds chapter to family story

Deborah Murphy breaks the New Zealand Masters pole vault record at the Caledonian Ground on Saturday with 2.42m.

By Alistair McMurran
Deborah Murphy (nee Richards) broke the New Zealand record and wrote a new chapter in the Richards family's remarkable pole vault history.

Murphy (44) vaulted 2.42m at the Caledonian Ground on Saturday to set a New Zealand Masters women's aged 40 to 44 record by 2cm.

"I'm very pleased," she said. "It was my first competition in the event and I didn't think I'd jump that well."

It is the job of David, her husband, to catch the bar when Murphy trains at their home sandpit in Mosgiel.

Murphy has been competing in Masters athletics for the past five years and this was her second New Zealand record. She broke the 100m hurdles record in her age-group with a time of 18.52sec two years ago. She also holds five Otago Masters records.

The Taieri athlete's interest in the event started 40 years ago when, as a toddler, she watched her father competing.

Mervyn Richards held the New Zealand senior men's title for 11 years from 1952 to 1962. He competed in three Commonwealth Games and won a bronze medal at Cardiff in 1958.

He was named one of the top 12 Otago athletes of the 20th Century at this year's centenary celebrations.

During his long career, Richards raised the New Zealand record by 46cm and became the first New Zealander to clear both 13 feet (3.96m) and 14 feet (4.27m).

Peter Heidenstrom, in his history of New Zealand athletics, said, "I do not know of anyone who did more to popularise, invigorate, and advance his event."

Richards was an inspiration to his family and Debbie Murphy joined her younger brother, Malcolm, in training for the pole vault in the pit at their Mosgiel home as an 11-year-old.

Malcolm Richards broke a world record for a 10-year-old when he cleared 2.69m in 1971. He also held the world records at 8 (2.28m) and 9 (2.43m).

Murphy always wanted to compete in the pole vault, but was stymied in early attempts because the event was not on the International Athletics Federation's programme for women athletes until 10 years ago.

Murphy's daughter, Alice Hurst (21), started vaulting at 15, had a break, and started again this year with her mother. Hurst also cleared 2.42m in her first competition on Saturday and was runner-up in the senior women's event.

Both athletes are coached by Mervyn Richards, who has regained his enthusiasm for the event.

"Dad still has the technical knowledge and has regained his passion," Murphy said.

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”