He does it again!!! Jeff Kingstad M55 World Record (WI)

All things masters pole vaulting.

Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

He does it again!!! Jeff Kingstad M55 World Record (WI)

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:19 pm

Jeff jumped 4.12 meters today at The University of Wisconsin to raise the record yet again.

I have a tape of the jump and will hopefully have it up within the week.
Man Up and Jump

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:45 pm

YES!!! We've had some emails this week and it was clear that he's ready. GREAT for him!! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:59 am

Congratulations Jeff. :yes:

- master

26mi235
PV Newbie

Unread postby 26mi235 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:32 am

He did indeed get the 4.12 clearance (and there was margin in the measurement). He actually took three decent vaults at 4.27 and if the initial height sequence had been followed he might have made 4.20. I had a VERY close view of the vault! :)

He also helped with the vault officiating (womens prior), as he always does when he has time. And, he had to drive down five hours, including some snow, which is probably not the ideal preparation. I think he has some more in the tank.

Also of note, Matt Novak looked pretty good for a first vault of the season and using a short run-up and almost cleared 5.02/16-5 all three times, as did Derek Theil. Matt might be on his way down to Bell/Arkansas.
26Mi235

TrackCEO
PV Fan
Expertise: Fan

Unread postby TrackCEO » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:34 am

Ohhhhhnooooo! :crying:

Wolfgang Ritte of Germany went 4.20 over the weekend.

Details on my blog:
http://masterstrack.com/blog/001996.html

Bring it back, Jeff! ;)

ken

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:55 am

26mi235 wrote:He did indeed get the 4.12 clearance (and there was margin in the measurement).....

I'm curious, just what does that mean? 4.12 is 4.12 it should be exact especially when it comes to records.

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:32 am

I heard from a few sources that Ritte was coming to Reno to set the record until the date was changed to be before his birthday on 1/11.

Jeff apparently tried 4.27m at his last meet and he can certainly make it. BTW - I'm pretty sure Ritte has the outdoor record at 4.25m. Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:56 pm

Vaultref wrote:
26mi235 wrote:He did indeed get the 4.12 clearance (and there was margin in the measurement).....

I'm curious, just what does that mean? 4.12 is 4.12 it should be exact especially when it comes to records.

Usually that means there was more than solid contact between the top of the crossbar and the measuring device, so the bar was more like 4.125. It's just one way to keep from being accused by some idiot in the peanut gallery that it was a bogus mark.

And all this time I thought Jeff was a warm-weather vaulter! Maybe there aren't any certified officials at his place in paradise.

Congrats to Jeff. Too bad we missed you in Reno.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:29 pm

They used an electronic measuring device. I took a look at it and if memory serves me right, it read 4.124 meters.
Man Up and Jump

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:18 pm

Bubba PV wrote:I heard from a few sources that Ritte was coming to Reno to set the record until the date was changed to be before his birthday on 1/11.

Jeff apparently tried 4.27m at his last meet and he can certainly make it. BTW - I'm pretty sure Ritte has the outdoor record at 4.25m. Bubba

Bubba, does that mean he also competed in an outdoor meet since his birthday?

- master

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:22 pm

VaultMarq26 wrote:They used an electronic measuring device. I took a look at it and if memory serves me right, it read 4.124 meters.

Well, that's within spec for a 4.12 jump.
Probably the person doing the electronic measurement did not have the beam at the true bottom the of bar hence the beam might be a little on the curvature of the bar. Again, still within spec, so nice WR jump.

26mi235
PV Newbie

Unread postby 26mi235 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:19 am

Vaultref wrote:
VaultMarq26 wrote:They used an electronic measuring device. I took a look at it and if memory serves me right, it read 4.124 meters.

Well, that's within spec for a 4.12 jump.
Probably the person doing the electronic measurement did not have the beam at the true bottom the of bar hence the beam might be a little on the curvature of the bar. Again, still within spec, so nice WR jump.

I measured the height with the stick beforehand and set it with a 'safe margin' (i.e., so that it was about 4.125, as speculated above). The laser measure was over 4.12 as well and the beam was moved across a range on the bar to make sure we were getting the minimum height. He went over without touching the bar.

All three vaults at 4.27 would have clear ed4.12 also, and one or two were probably good enough to have made 4.20 if the bar had been set there.

Not only is Jeff more than a warm-weather vaulter, he had to drive 5 hours SOUTH to get to Madison; he lives in northern Wisconsin now. He should be at either or both of the Madison meets (end of Jan, and of Feb) that precede the Big Ten Mens Indoor (and he will probably be there too, as he is an All-Big Ten alum from UW-Madison). Hopefully, he will assist with the vault, he is good at it.
26Mi235

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”