So, now that I am 41 years old ...

All things masters pole vaulting.

Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

84rules
PV Beginner

So, now that I am 41 years old ...

Unread postby 84rules » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:55 pm

... and haven't touched a pole since I was 17, exactly how hard will it be for me to get back into pole vaulting? I'd like to start vaulting again, but it is rather difficult here in Northern Virginia.

I know the Potomac Valley Track Club has all comer meets, but training is a problem.

The High School Region where I live does not have the pole vault as an event in Track & Field so finding a training facility is difficult right off the bat. The nearest facility, I think, is George Mason University and the nearest club for me would be all the way down in Richmond.

Can anyone give me any ideas or insights?

pvdad81
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College vaulter, Masters vaulter, Parent of College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Jonathan Webb

Unread postby pvdad81 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:27 am

First, I would just start working on getting into pole vault shape. Running, lifting weights, sit-ups, stair climbing and find a pole any kind of pole will do and run with it. Yes, you will look like a dork but it will help you.

Second, go to a 2 or 4 day camp this winter. After a couple of days of intense vaulting, you will either get hooked on vaulting or realize its not for you.

Third, find the closest high school or college that will let you vollunteer to work with the vaulters. You don't have to be an expert. Sometimes just putting up the crossbar and adjusting the standards for the kids helps. By working with the vaulters, you can also workout with the vaulters.

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:35 pm

Bubba gets this inquiry several times a year and he always forwards them to me. I then e-mail the inquirer and basically do what I can to get him or her down the road to the comeback. The following is a series of e-mails to a vaulter who lives by Bubba and has started to jump again. A lot of the info is specific to his case but there's also quite a bit of generic info in the correspondence. The info is pretty much the same in each case so I hope you will be able to glean some good out of it. His first e-mail asked the same question you asked at the top of this topic.
MY REPLY
I too traveled down the same road as you. I stumbled on to Bubba's website in Dec of 2004 and contacted him just like you. Since then I have had a lot of good and great and frustrating times with this vaulting thing. First of all, forget nearly everything as to vaulting that you did in the 70's (it will be impossible to do but try anyway). It's a whole new ball game. Buy the book Beginner to Bubka and use it as your guide to coming back. I think Bubba might have a copy or two left. It's around $30. Next, hit the gym and do vault spacific exercises. The great thing you have going for you is your legs are pretty much "back" because of the tennis, but don't neglect them in your training. I'm assuming you're around 50 so listen very carefully to what I'm about to tell you. A 60% to 65% effort in your head is about a 100% effort on your body. Especially when the pole vault is concerned. Our biggest "enemy" is the body we live in. Back in the 60's and 70's you and I could jump all day every day. Ain't so anymore. Therefore, one of the things you have to take into account is figuring out how far your body will be able to go before you break it and then make sure you don't go but 90% of that distance or effort. That philosophy must be considered throughout your upcoming pole vault comeback career. Now that the disclaimers are done, time for more what to do and where to go. There is a website called polevaultpower.com that is absolutely mandatory to join and follow. Next, pick a day (not too far off) to get off the ground (in other words get a pole in your hands and jump). Bubba can help you with that. Next, pick a meet that you are going to compete at. It's important to do that now otherwise you won't have the incentive to do what you have to to get back pole vaulting again. If you "wait till you're ready" you'll keep putting off both your "get off the ground" day and your "first meet" day. Enough of those put offs and you'll lose interest. You are so lucky tro be down close to Bubba. He'll get you coming back on the right track if you do what he (and the other coaches down there) tells you. Don't forget the 60% - 65% deal. It's so important and it prevents the inevitable injuries that this event will deal to you. Good luck and keep me posted on your progress.
Mike Soule
Wyoming , MN

HIS REPLY, (my responses to his specifics are in red)
Hi Mike,
Pretty cool to hear from you… I forgot how close the pole vaulting community is… Just wondering where you got my address Anytime Bubba gets an inquiry about coming back, he forwards it to me. He likes me to add another perspective to the path that all of us have been on. Seeing that I'm into my 3rd year I have been through what you're going to be going through. Thanks for your email and the information, I will investigate your recommendations…

I spent a lot of my early years in Wayzata on Lake Minnetonka … My grand parents lived on the lake for 70+ years and only recently sold the house… My uncle is a well known tennis pro (Tom Boice, 63 years) in the Minneapolis area and teaches out of the Flagship tennis center… We (my wife and I) were up there for 10 days at the end of July (we left he day before the bridge fell)…

I have a very good foundation from swimming for 12 years at the national level… I took up pole vaulting seriously my junior year in high school and jumped over 15’ regularly… I was also fortunate (like Bubba) to jump a few times in practice at Rice University with Dave Roberts… I cleared 17 once in college before I shattered my left elbow when it hyper extended when a pole broke… Through high school I ran the mile (4:50) and loved distance running… I had a pit in my back yard during high school and then again in my late 20’s when I tried to jump in 1983-84… I was a consistent 14 footer then but international travel and no fellow jumpers made it tough to stay at it… In 2000 my son (now in the Navy) wanted to try pole vaulting… I worked with him on some drills and we bought a few poles… I cleared 11’ then and thought I could stay with it … I started running lightly again but the job got in the way…

I continued to do some light running until the 2001 accident… In the past few months, I’ve been increasing my routine as the accident recovery progressed…Just remember the 60%-65% mental to physical effort ratio I find a tendency to migrate to some of the ambitious stuff I did during the pole vaulting days… But you’re right about the “bounce backâ€Â

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:50 pm

OUTSTANDING Mike!! You do a great job of explaining the road ahead. U 'D Man!! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Leap-in-Sky
PV Newbie

Unread postby Leap-in-Sky » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:56 am

What a great post! I've lurking here for a bit waiting for some info like this. And here it is all in one post. This is "where-the-spikes-meet-the-track" kind of wisdom. Just Awesome. :D

Thanks

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:02 am

Leap-in-Sky wrote:What a great post! I've lurking here for a bit waiting for some info like this. And here it is all in one post.:D

So tell us a little about yourself now that you've gone beyond "lurking". ;) How old are you? When did you last vault? Where are you in your comeback?.....

- master

EDIT:
I just noticed you have posted much of this info on the masterstrack.com forum. Now I can make the association. :)

Leap-in-Sky
PV Newbie

Unread postby Leap-in-Sky » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:31 pm

master wrote:
Leap-in-Sky wrote:What a great post! I've lurking here for a bit waiting for some info like this. And here it is all in one post.:D

So tell us a little about yourself now that you've gone beyond "lurking". ;) How old are you? When did you last vault? Where are you in your comeback?.....

- master

EDIT:
I just noticed you have posted much of this info on the masterstrack.com forum. Now I can make the association. :)

np, (don't want to hijack 84rules' thread but as long as you ask), I just started the long road back this summer I'm in that first year when everything tweaks, hurts, and generally falls apart :D

I'm 51 - in another lifetime I PR'd @ 5.35 and made it as far as the Olympic Trials '80 - my current PR is still out there in dream land but looking forward to my first 32" clearance! Haven't found a local place to jump yet, but will keep turning over stones. Getting lighter, stronger, and trying to get faster if these feet and knees would just cooperate.

Thank you for asking :)

JFvaulter
PV Beginner

Unread postby JFvaulter » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:01 am

84rules,
I am another resident of Leesburg, VA and completely understand your dilemma. However, you do have some great opportunities to jump in our area at several all-comers meets held at the Prince Georges Learning and Sport complex in Landover, MD (http://www.pvtc.org/pg.html). The facilities are excellent. Best of all, the masters attendance is excellent. You can usually expect a full range of competitors from 14 to 70+ years old.

Almost two years ago, I stumbled across one of these meets and caught the bug to start jumping again. It had been 16 years since I touched a pole. My first time back, I was rusty, but each meet was an improvement. I quickly learned that my body required a lot more time to recover from jumping. No longer could I jump all-day long and feel fine the next day. It often required 5-10 days to fully recover. Today, I am gradually getting in shape to jump again this winter. Getting into shape is a key ingredient as mentioned in the above posts. Studying the pole vault is another key ingredient.

The next meet to pole vault in our area will be held on December 16. This would be a great opportunity for you to familiarize yourself with the pole vault again. The pole vault is usually run by Bill Athey, one of Maryland's top pole vault coaches. As far as poles, there are usually plenty on hand to borrow at the meets. In addition, there are plenty of other vaulters and Bill available for encouragement and coaching.

When it comes to PV training, the best opportunity is also at the Prince Georges Learning and Sports Complex. Bill runs a pole vault clinic usually 2 nights a week. PM me for details. It is good to know that more people have an interest to pole vault in Norhtern Virginia. I only hope that one day the ban will be lifted in our county.
Last edited by JFvaulter on Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JFvaulter

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:58 am

Leap-in-Sky - try UCSD and Mike Hogan. Shoot me an email and I'll make the connection for you. If not there he will know evey option in the SD area.

I'm from Texas and moved back in 2001 but I lived in Newport Beach for 24 years and coached vaulters at UC Irvine for 14. With that said I'm sure we can get you in with a good group.

Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

VAVAULT
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Coach

Unread postby VAVAULT » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:23 am

Hey 84Rules
I'm in part of that same boat of not jumping in a long time, but my son started to get into it in high school and I've made that Richmond trip lots of time on sundays and Val the coach there is really great. I'm going to be the PV coach at the high school in Nokesville Va. starting this fall. Any way I have a pit in my back yard with a fair amont of poles and training things and have be thinking about putting a PV club together in No. Virginia. Any interst from any other Pole Vaulters in No. Virginia area?

Run Fast, Jump High and Hold On
Randy

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:26 am

Leap-in-Sky,

You may want to get hold of Charlie Brown as well. He's a lawyer down there now. If you were at the trials, you know him.

Wilson

Leap-in-Sky
PV Newbie

Unread postby Leap-in-Sky » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:04 pm

vaultmd wrote:Leap-in-Sky,

You may want to get hold of Charlie Brown as well. He's a lawyer down there now. If you were at the trials, you know him.

Wilson

vaultmd, thanks, but sorry, don't know or remember Mr. Brown. If he is in my area, any contact info would be appreciated. Did he compete or officiate in Eugene?

Edited: Ok, just checked the archives (dustiest box in garage) - CB wasn't on the competitors list - he must have been officiating? (sorry 27 years gets more than boxes dusty) ;)

Bubba, thanks for the intro to Mike Hogan and subsequent lead - you rock!

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”