World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Former BYU coach Robison dies at age 83

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:26 am

http://www.sltrib.com/contentlist/ci_4402747

Former BYU coach Robison dies at age 83
Track and Field
The Salt Lake Tribune

Former Brigham Young track and field coach Clarence Robison died in his sleep Monday night at the age of 83.
Robison was the BYU men's team coach for 40 years, from 1949-1988. In that time, his teams won 18 conference championships and earned a share of the national title in 1970. He coached more than 100 All-Americans, including 20 national champions and 26 Olympians. He was also an assistant coach for the U.S. national team in 1989.
As an athlete, he held school records in the mile and 2-mile run, and was a member of the 1948 Olympic team.
Robison was a member of the Utah Sports Hall of Fame, the BYU Hall of Fame and the United States Track and Field Coaches Hall of Fame, and BYU's track and field complex was named after him in 2004.
He is survived by his wife Monita, nine children, 41 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren. Funeral services will be held Oct. 2 at 11 a.m. at the Grandview South Stake Center on 1150 N. Grandview Ave. in Provo. A viewing will be held Sunday from 6-8 p.m. at the Berg Mortuary, located at 185 E. Center St. in Provo.

vaultmom
PV Fan

Coach Robbie

Unread postby vaultmom » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:53 pm

We have known Coach Robbie for over 35 years and he was awesome. My hubbie was on that 1970 national championship team ( a long time ago...track and the NCAA has changed alot since then) A great example and a man of honor and he loved the polevault !. Thanks for posting this announcement
Bob's Mom
Raise the bar

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:07 am

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,650195536,00.html

Robison left mark on track and life
By Doug Robinson
Deseret Morning News

Because Clarence Robison did not coach the high-profile sports of basketball and football, most Utah sports fans don't know much, if anything, about him.
But he was big.
He was LaVell Edwards big.
He produced more than 100 all-Americans, 20 Olympians, one national championship, 19 Western Athletic Conference championships, American and world record holders. When he was finished, they put him in the U.S. Track Coaches Hall of Fame and named BYU's world-class track facility Clarence Robison Stadium.
But this misses the point, because what Robison really did was counsel and teach young men, both as a coach and as a leader in his church.
"We talk about the greatest generation," says one of Robison's former athletes, Olympian Ed Eyestone. "He was the greatest of the greatest generation."
When Robison passed away last Wednesday, it marked the end of an era â€â€

Return to “Pole Vault - College”