I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:00 pm

PVPhD
PV Fan
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, USATF Biomechanist
Lifetime Best: 4.67 m
Favorite Vaulter: Mike McGinnis

Unread postby PVPhD » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:01 pm

Shawn Wilbourn will be coaching the vaulters at the University of Georgia. He is leaving his job as director of track and field at SUNY Cortland (DIII) to become an assistant coach at Georgia. He's driving down to Athens this weekend and starts on Monday (9/18). I will certainly miss him here at Cortland. Although I am considered the vault coach here - I really am only the technical coach. Shawn provided the physical training plan that gave me athletes physically ready to vault.

Shawn competed at the 1997 IAAF World Championships in the decathlon. I am unsure of his vault PR, but it is above 5 m. He also played professional football for a short time. He is a great athlete and coach and a good guy as well. I think he will do well at Georgia.

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:55 pm

So PVPhD,

Are you gonna be the new head coach at SUNY Cortlalnd?

;)

saraf
PV Pro

Unread postby saraf » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:57 am

PVPhD wrote:Shawn Wilbourn will be coaching the vaulters at the University of Georgia. He is leaving his job as director of track and field at SUNY Cortland (DIII) to become an assistant coach at Georgia. He's driving down to Athens this weekend and starts on Monday (9/18). I will certainly miss him here at Cortland. Although I am considered the vault coach here - I really am only the technical coach. Shawn provided the physical training plan that gave me athletes physically ready to vault.

Shawn competed at the 1997 IAAF World Championships in the decathlon. I am unsure of his vault PR, but it is above 5 m. He also played professional football for a short time. He is a great athlete and coach and a good guy as well. I think he will do well at Georgia.

I am glad to hear that UGA is getting a good vault coach those jumpers deserve a good coach down there (well not TOTO)

PVPhD
PV Fan
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, USATF Biomechanist
Lifetime Best: 4.67 m
Favorite Vaulter: Mike McGinnis

Unread postby PVPhD » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:16 pm

vaultmd wrote:So PVPhD,

Are you gonna be the new head coach at SUNY Cortlalnd?

;)

Hmm - I'm already Assistant Director of Graduate Studies for the college, professor of Exercise Science and Sport Studies, chair or member of several thesis committees, chair of the department personnel committee, and volunteer pole vault coach (this is the job I enjoy most) - so - no, I will not be the new head coach at SUNY Cortland.

Matt Moran has assumed the duties as director of track and field and cross-country. He was hired as the cross-country coach and assistant t&f coach last year. He also has a PhD in biomechanics, so he has duties in the Exercise Science and Sport Studies department as well. He will do a great job, I think - even if he is a distance runner!

Return to “Pole Vault - College”