News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

htheodore
PV Whiz

Unread postby htheodore » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:57 pm

Not paid near what they are worth

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:05 pm

becca do you know if jim is still jumping at all or if he is done?? i havent heard about him in a while. i think it is good that he is going to finish up with his educational goals.
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:24 pm

vaulter870 wrote:becca do you know if jim is still jumping at all or if he is done?? i havent heard about him in a while. i think it is good that he is going to finish up with his educational goals.

He is done seriously vaulting.

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:45 pm

darn!! he was the first pro i got to watch. i gotta get a hold of an e-mail and drop him a line.
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:30 am

http://www.acu.edu/sports/track/news_20 ... tants.html

Hood rounds out coaching staff
Cook to coach throws; Aguilar added as GA

ABILENE - ACU head track and field coach Don D. Hood announced Wednesday that he has completed his coaching staff for the 2006-07 athletics year with the addition of assistant coach Jerrod Cook and graduate assistant coach Cory Aguilar.

Cook - who will coach ACU's throwers - joins the Wilddcat staff after coaching the previous two seasons at McMurry University.

He was a seven-time national qualifier between the indoor weight throw and outdoor hammer. In 2003, he was a NCAA Division III all-America selection for his performance indoors in the weight throw. He won five conference titles with the Indians from 2001-04 throwing the hammer and the javelin. His throw of 59-5.00holds the school's record in the weight throw, while his mark of 188-11.00 is an outdoor record for the hammer throw.

Cook is certified at Level I by the USA Track and Field and also spends time as a personal trainer and helps work summer track and field camps throughout the state. Cook graduated from McMurry in 2004 with a B.S. in exercise and sports studies and has helped coached three Indians to all-America honors.

Aguilar recently completed his eligibility by finishing fifth at the NCAA Division II outdoor championship meet in the pole vault. However, it was his four points that gave ACU the men's team national championship. ACU trailed 77.5.-76 to rival St. Augustine's after the final running event, but Aguilar gave the Wildcats enough points to give them the team title.

In April, Aguilar became the first Wildcat pole vaulter in school history to win four straight LSC titles as he cleared 16-2.75 to win the event. All-time great Billy Olson won the LSC title from 1978-80 and then again in 1982 after he sat out the 1981 season with a broken wrist.

In July, Hood announced that former Texas A&M hurdles and jumps coach Abe Brown had joined the ACU staff.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:18 pm

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:51 am

http://www.phoenixvillenews.com/site/ne ... 7914&rfi=6

Singer leaves to pursue dream
By BARRY SANKEY, bsankey@phoenixvillenews.com
08/22/2006

PHILADELPHIA - Talen Singer has only fond memories of Phoenixville and its storied track and field program.
But he also has the urge to move up to the next level and coach at the collegiate level. That is why he resigned as head coach of the Phantoms to accept a volunteer assistant coaching position in the pole vault at Division I Villanova University.
Singer also resigned his biology teaching position at Phoenixville. However, Singer, 30, plans to return to schooling to pursue his master's and doctorate degrees besides his coaching assignment.
He coached at Phoenixville since 1994 in the pole vault under longtime coach Jack Kraynak. Singer assumed the head coaching duties two years ago. The Phantoms captured the Pioneer Athletic Conference championship in boys both years and this spring added the girls title as well.
Singer graduated from Phoenixville Area High School in 1992 and starred in the pole vault himself. Since then he has developed many outstanding boys and girls pole vaulters while the Phantoms dominated PAC-10 track and field under Kraynak and his staff.
"Teaching and coaching at Phoenixville High was a great experience," Singer said in a telephone interview from his home Monday evening. "I will have nothing but positive memories of the school and Washington Field.
"The students, Mr. (Ray) Jenkins (athletic director) and Mr. (Richard) Kaskey (principal) were so supportive through my entire tenure at the high school. I would like to thank everyone for their support, especially Mr. Kraynak. He is the best person I know. The student-athletes at Phoenixville can compete against any school out there."
Singer said he will also cherish the memories at Phoenixville, but he also has his eye on the future at the collegiate level. He wants to build the Villanova pole vaulting program in the same fashion he did at Phoenixville.
"Phoenixville was absolutely an awesome experience," Singer said. "It was really a hard decision. But I wanted to get into college coaching. So just to get on the staff at a school like Villanova was an opportunity I couldn't pass up. I know the Phoenixville program will be fine. The kids are incredible. It was definitely a hard decision. But I really wanted to pursue college coaching. I am really happy."
Singer's decision to resign was first reported in The Phoenix Aug. 16 after Jenkins informed the newspaper. Singer could not be reached for comment for that story because he was on vacation at the time.
"Mr. Kraynak is the best person. He is a great guy and we are best friends," Singer said. "He has meant so much to me and my coaching career and the hundreds and hundreds of kids who have gone through Phoenixville. I had the chance to run track and coach there. There is a lot of community support. Phoenixville has incredible support."
Singer said he became a teacher so he could coach. He felt he could not continue teaching at PAHS if he was not coaching track.
"That would have killed me," Singer said.
He sees himself teaching again in the future.
"There is not a lack of quality people at Phoenixville," Singer said. "I will always stop back. I will always be a Phoeniville guy at heart."
As far as Villanova, he said he was searching for different places to work. He sought out the Wildcats and field events coach George Reynolds because of the school's history. Reynolds was amenable to bringing Singer aboard to help with the pole vault.
"I want to win at any level," he said. "It was time to take it to the next level. The hardest part is leaving Phoenixville. Mr. Kraynak has been so supportive of me since I was 15. He is so supportive to this day. It is sad leaving, but I will learn even more about track and field. I am getting into something big and am anxious to prove myself at Villanova."
He is also involved with track clubs and summer camps, working with the best vaulters around.
This is not the first time Singer has considered joining a collegiate staff, but this chance came to fruition.
"Pole vault coaches are rare," Singer said. "There are not a lot of them around. So it is a rare opportunity to do something amazing. Villanova, and with George Reynolds, is a good place to start a college coaching career."
Jenkins said the Phoenixville track and field head coaching position will be posted for all applicants in the replacement process.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:02 pm

I hear Pitt's coach left to be a high school AD. Any word on who they are bringing in?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:27 pm

Lane Lohr will be coaching the pole vaulters at Washington University in St. Louis.

Thomas Fowlkes will be coaching at Southern Alabama.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:45 pm

http://www.millikin.edu/athletics/headl ... p?ID=20442

Millikin University is pleased to announce new head coaches for its track and field and cross country programs. Peter Seal will become Millikin’s new head men’s and women’s track and field coach. Matthew Hayes will become Millikin’s new head men’s and women’s cross country coach and assistant track and field coach.
Seal comes to Millikin from the University of North Dakota where he has served as an assistant track coach since 2003. Seal spent one year as the head cross country/track coach at McPherson College and was an assistant cross country and track coach at Manchester College. Seal has United States Track and Field Association Level I and II certifications for the sprints, hurdles, jumps, multi-events, endurance and throws.
During his six year collegiate coaching career he has produced one national runner-up, four All-Americans, thirteen conference champions, fourteen conference runner-ups and numerous all-conference performers. At the University of North Dakota, Seal coached the throws and his athletes set new school records in the javelin, hammer and weight throws. He produced four All-Americans and seven conference champions. In addition to his head coaching duties, Seal will work with Millikin’s throwers, vaulters and multi-event athletes.
“Millikin has a great academic program and an outstanding track facility,â€Â

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:07 pm

http://siusalukis.cstv.com/sports/c-tra ... 06aab.html

Track and Field announces Dan Digman as new graduate assistant coach

Aug. 28, 2006

www.siusalukis.com

CARBONDALE, Ill. - Southern Illinois track and field head coach Connie Price-Smith announces the appointment of graduate assistant Dan Digman, who will be coaching the Saluki pole vaulters this season.

"I'm looking forward to having Dan on our staff," Price-Smith said. "He is very enthusiastic and very motivated. So far he's been hard-working and eager to jump in and get his feet wet."

Digman, a Wadsworth, Ohio native, comes to SIU via the University of Akron where he was a two-time All-Mid-American Conference performer in the pole vault and a 2006 all-conference honoree in the javelin.

The 2005-06 men's track and field team captain assisted with the women's vault program at Akron and was also a member of the Student Athletic Advisory Council.

Throughout college, Digman coached several high school camps and clinics, while also officiating high school track and field competitions.

In high school, he was a four-year letter winner in cross country and track. He was a first-team All-Suburban League two years in cross country and one year in track, qualifying for state in track two years (2000, 2001). In 2001, Digman was a first-team All-State pole vaulter.

"I'm excited and honored for the opportunity to coach here at SIU," Digman said. "It has been my dream to coach on the collegiate level and to do so under Connie Price-Smith is a privilege. I'm looking forward to the season and all it will hold."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:40 pm

I see they took Kevin Hanson off the coaching roster at St. Cloud State: http://www.stcloudstate.edu/athletics/s ... /coach.asp

Anyone know what he is up to now?

Return to “Pole Vault - College”