Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:50 pm

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:58 pm

Larry Berryhill has stepped down at BYU.

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Clemson's new pole vault coach.

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:41 pm

http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/sports/m- ... 06aaa.html

Josh Langley Named Assistant Men's Track & Field Coach at Clemson
Western Carolina graduate spent three seasons as an assistant coach at Gardner-Webb

Aug. 9, 2006

Clemson, SC - Josh Langley has been hired at Clemson as an assistant men's track & field coach, as announced by Head Coach Bob Pollock on Wednesday. Langley has spent the past three seasons as an assistant coach in charge of field events for Gardner-Webb's men's and women's programs. Langley will coach field events and multi-event athletes at Clemson.

"Josh brings a vast knowledge and experience in track & field to Clemson," Pollock said. "He will add to the continuation of our success in the field events. We are excited to have him in the program. We will continue to develop solid field event athletes, just as we have in the past. He did a great job while at Gardner-Webb."

Langley certainly is no stranger to the Tiger track & field program. He interned with the team in the spring of 2003 and has worked the past five summer camps for Clemson. During the camps, his duties consisted of instructing athletes on proper throwing techniques, monitoring students, and speaking on the importance of academics.

Langley helped Gardner-Webb to the Atlantic Sun men's team title during the 2006 outdoor season. He coached the Bulldogs to seven championships in the field events, including two multiple champions. Jake Didion won the long jump and triple jump under Langley's guidance. He also coached Didion to a regional-qualifying effort in the long jump in 2006. Didion was the Atlantic Sun's 2005 Freshman of the Year.

Langley also coached Cody MacArthur to multiple conference titles in 2006, the discus and hammer throws. Under Langley's watch, he was named Most Valuable Field Event Performer at the 2006 Atlantic Sun Championships. His other conference champions during the 2006 outdoor season were Jeremy Longshore (pole vault), Matt Knippen (shot put), and Jerel Langley (javelin). Knippen, Longshore, and MacArthur established conference meet records in their respective events.

During the 2006 indoor season, Langley coached Knippen to conference crowns in both the shot put and weight throw. He also coached Longshore to the indoor pole vault title. During his time at Gardner-Webb, he also coached a two-time NCAA provisional qualifier in the women's heptathlon (Tara Stephenson, 2004-05). In total, he coached 49 All-Conference selections, 22 Academic All-Conference selections, and five regional qualifiers at Gardner-Webb (men's and women's programs combined).

Langley also spent time as a graduate assistant at his alma mater, Western Carolina. There, he developed and implemented all aspects of training for throwers. As a student-athlete, he was a member of the Catamounts' 1999 Southern Conference indoor and outdoor championship teams. He was a two-time Academic All-Southern Conference honoree and ranks in the top five all-time on the school's javelin performance list.

Langley earned his undergraduate degree in Sport Management from Western Carolina in 2003 and then earned a master's degree in Sport Science and Pedagogy from Gardner-Webb in December, 2005.
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:34 pm

Any word on who will be filling his shoes at Gardner-Webb?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:40 am

I see that Austin Peay has signed their first two pole vaulters ever. Any word on who will be coaching them?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:31 pm

Scott Carney to Dayton

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/w-t ... ott00.html

Scott Carney joins the University of Dayton track program for the 2006-2007 season. Carney is a former school indoor/outdoor pole vault record holder for Carmel High School in Carmel, Indiana and still competes in the USATF Master's program.

Carney is in his tenth season coaching the pole vault. He has coached for three Cincinnati area high schools, the last being Kings High School in Kings Mills, Ohio. He is also currently a partner/coach for The Midwest Vault Academy, an indoor/outdoor pole vault club and training facility located in Mason, Ohio.

During his career, his vaulters have earned many Conference, District, Regional and State Championships. He continues to coach all age level vaulters, from Juniors to Masters, at the Vault Academy.

Carney currently lives in Landen, Ohio with his wife and two children.

htheodore
PV Whiz

Unread postby htheodore » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:32 am

I have heard that Jim Davis is no longer at Mcneese, and Aaron James is no longer at Georgia. Where did these guys go?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:38 am

htheodore wrote:I have heard that Jim Davis is no longer at Mcneese, and Aaron James is no longer at Georgia. Where did these guys go?

When I saw Jim at NCAAs he told me he was going to take a break from coaching and focus on finishing his educational goals.

I think Coach James might be taking a break from collegiate coaching, but I haven't talked to him, so I am not sure.

htheodore
PV Whiz

Unread postby htheodore » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:10 pm

That is too bad. Knowledgeable coaches are important to the sport. Hope they are not burned out. Maybe after a break they will come back renergized.
www.polecatspolevault.com

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:38 pm

htheodore wrote:That is too bad. Knowledgeable coaches are important to the sport. Hope they are not burned out. Maybe after a break they will come back renergized.

I agree 100%!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:36 pm

Don't know if he will be coaching pole vault there or not, but this is somewhat relevant:

http://www.pressrepublican.com/apps/pbc ... /608130339

Plattsburgh State fills assistant coach's positions

August 13, 2006
PLATTSBURGH â€â€

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:26 pm

htheodore wrote:That is too bad. Knowledgeable coaches are important to the sport. Hope they are not burned out. Maybe after a break they will come back renergized.

I think it's more an issue that they have to break out of poverty since most are either volunteers or get paid well under $20K to coach a single event.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

Return to “Pole Vault - College”