Help with College English Research Paper on PV

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Help with College English Research Paper on PV

Unread postby izzystikchik » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:13 pm

Hi guys,

I was wondering if any of you could "throw me a bone" with this research paper i'm writing and the topic is a 5-6 page essay on:

"Why has American Pole Vaulting fallen behind the Europeans? Or has it?"

Ok, now don't you all jump on me, this is just the question I'm going to explore in my paper, i'm neither one way or the other. I thought this would be a great topic for me to write my paper about because i'm actually interested in this!

Here are some of the aspects I might touch upon:
~Work Ethic
~Encouraged Techniques
~Matierials used
~Emphasis on Specific Parts of the Vault/training
~# of Vaulters from each region over a certain height
~Athlete-Coach relationship
~Safety

Any advice or help with this paper would be excellent! I'm not very good at formulating a solid essay so any of you bright people out there are welcomed to offer advice or direction on how i should approach this

Thanks

~liz

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:15 pm

I think it makes a big difference if you are talking about men or women. Our elite men are holding their own just fine against the Europeans. Our elite women have definitely fallen behind the Europeans and the rest of the world is catching up. Fast.

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:18 pm

Well what do you think i should do?

I do believe that are men are fine, even though our American Record hasn't been broken in such a long time, while Sergey's world record has yet to be threatened by anybody...if i take out the men in this paper, that might make it difficult to stretch to 5-6 pages....

However, the "Or has it?" part might be where i address how our men our doing just fine

izzystikchik
PV Follower

Unread postby izzystikchik » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:19 pm

Does anybody really know how Russian Youth go about Vaulting? Is it like here in the states? You just join the team? Or is it more hard core?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:32 pm

izzystikchik wrote:Well what do you think i should do?

I do believe that are men are fine, even though our American Record hasn't been broken in such a long time, while Sergey's world record has yet to be threatened by anybody...if i take out the men in this paper, that might make it difficult to stretch to 5-6 pages....

However, the "Or has it?" part might be where i address how our men our doing just fine

I think if you pick men or women, it will make your paper a lot more focused. If you covered all the topics listed above, you will have plenty to talk about.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:38 pm

What class is the for, cause i have some elective credits....lol....writing a college essay on pole vault...genius.....wait writing......on second thought i will sick to my olympic lifting class
Man Up and Jump

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:55 pm

haha, i did a 30 minute presentation in my "public presentations" class about the free takeoff. it was hard not to laugh at everyone else in the class because they looked like they wanted to die because my presesntation was so boring! or maybe they just didnt understand/care about the subject matter...

fong520
PV Pro

Unread postby fong520 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:14 pm

u can write about how track is like alot bigger in europe than it is in the usa... and how they have more kids start at a younger age and stuff??..
i run, therefore im buff.

TreyDECA
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS, College, and current Elite vaulter/decathlete

Unread postby TreyDECA » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:32 pm

fong520 wrote:u can write about how track is like alot bigger in europe than it is in the usa... and how they have more kids start at a younger age and stuff??..

yeah, second that... and that all our really talented young athletes play commercial sports, and don't run track on a college level, which is a huge stepping stone for olympic and professional vualting.
8700... mark it down

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:42 pm

I can give you a good topic to cover in the "Or has it?" section:

see Sydney 2000 or Athens 2004

We are well ahead of the Russians thanks. Lets just put that little discussion/technique topic to rest.

(On the men's side at least.)
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

izzystikchik
PV Follower

Unread postby izzystikchik » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:17 am

SlickVT wrote:I can give you a good topic to cover in the "Or has it?" section:

see Sydney 2000 or Athens 2004

We are well ahead of the Russians thanks. Lets just put that little discussion/technique topic to rest.

(On the men's side at least.)

Perhaps i didn't make myself clear when i said that i didn't want to offend anybody when i said "Or has it", i appreciate your opinion and patriotism to the usa, I'm all for the red white and blue, but i think your missing the point here, i'm trying to write a paper, not bash anybody. I'm not trying to instigate an arguement either, i'm trying to simply explore a topic. I'm trying to use this forum as a means to help me formulate a paper. ;)

anyways, whoever said the topic about how European countries are more into track than the States, I really liked that idea, i might consider switching to that... :yes:
Thanks everybody for the ideas, please feel free to keep them coming, and if anybody is really bored i can email you what i have so far

scubastevesgirly
PV Pro

Unread postby scubastevesgirly » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:25 am

Perhaps you could mention something about the American mindset and how we think we need to have 5 ppl. in the top 10 in the world to be considered 'ahead.' (just an example, the numbers may not be the same for everybody)

Granted every country wants to be great, but America seems to want to dominate EVERYTHING. It's not really a bad thing in this case, but just a thought.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”