what is the best Junior College to vault at?

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

tim hutzley
PV Pro

Unread postby tim hutzley » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:05 pm

if you jump good at a JC college can you get a scholorship into a university just like out of high school?

Scott Go Pre
PV Lover
Expertise: Former college vaulter, and high school coach
Lifetime Best: 4.88m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby Scott Go Pre » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:15 pm

tim hutzley wrote:if you jump good at a JC college can you get a scholorship into a university just like out of high school?

Exactly, but you will have only two years of eligibility left. Many great vaulters and track athletes went to a junior college and ended up winning NCAA champions.
Rely upon God with all your heart, do not rely on your own insight. ~ Proverbs 3:5

~jj~
PV Whiz

Yep! jump good and get your grades.

Unread postby ~jj~ » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:58 pm

In general I'd say you need to jump in the neighborhood of 16' if your a boy, and 12' if you a girl to get scholarship help at an NCAA school. The higher you jump, the more money you will get.
If you did not make NCAA clearing house out of HS, then you will need to get your AA degree while your at JC. If you have good grades and test scores you probably will make the clearing house minimum.
If your from California, you have a big cost advantage, because the tuition costs are so low for for in state JC kids.
Currently, in my group I have 2 out of state and 8 in state kids.
Frankly, I love JC. Its the perfect atmosphere to develop and then move on. For instance, last year I took this guy we call "Yao Ming" into our group. He played BB and was kind of a all round jumper-hurdler in HS. He started in the fall and by the next summer he went 15'4 and got money to Cal Poly. I hated to see him go, but its tough to get into Caly Poly engineering. So when the opening happend he had to go.
I was happy for him, even though he had a year of JC eligability if he wanted it, and I felt he was capable of 17' in the coming season.
The other cool thing about Calif JC's is that the travel is easy. You don't get all beat up with the weekenders that D-1 and D-2 do.
~jj~

kineticsurfer
PV Newbie

Unread postby kineticsurfer » Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:21 pm

where's the love for Saddleback CC in So Cal? Simon Arkell is a great coach. He is a 19' jumper so he knows what hes talkin about. He really has helped me improve. We work hard and have a ton of fun doing it.

~jj~
PV Whiz

duly noted!

Unread postby ~jj~ » Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:56 pm

Oooops! Bad over sight on my part. He is a great coach. I saw him all the time last year on the JC circut.
One more reason why JC pole vaulting is strong in Cali
~jan~

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:04 pm

i have to say "oops" as well.....

Simon does a great job at saddleback- I always had fun with those saddleback guys, and Simon defenitely knows how to have fun, and knows how to coach. Cant stop So- Cal JC vault ( thats right Jan- SO-cal!! none of this "central coast" stuff.. hahaha :eek:
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

~jj~
PV Whiz

the theme from sky jumpers

Unread postby ~jj~ » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:23 pm

OK! :D
Let all sing, (to the tune from green acers):

The Central Coast is the Place to be,
Farm livin, that the life for me!
Forget Orange County,
Just give me the country side!

Oh darn, I hope I didn't just start a fude

:dazed:

~jj~

rickkane
PV Beginner

Unread postby rickkane » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:49 pm

la la la
all i need is a cool buzz and some tastey waves

sploit
PV Beginner

Unread postby sploit » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:38 pm

gah .... stay away from junior colleges. I am currently enrolled in one in Illinois and it has no track, no field, an not a single intelligent mind (except for mine of course). I guess I'm a little biased with the junior college deal. But as for vaulting if you go to a junior college, I would recommend a club team. That's what I did. This way you still have all of you eligibility and you still get to vault and train.

tim hutzley
PV Pro

Unread postby tim hutzley » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:39 am

im planning on going to mt sac redshirting the first year. using up a year of eligability second year then go to ASU for the rest of my eligability.
Sac is wicked awesome!!!

Return to “Pole Vault - College”