Future Vaulters to watch out for

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

pvpaul7
PV Fan

Future Vaulters to watch out for

Unread postby pvpaul7 » Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:23 am

Which vaulters do you think will be the ones that will dominate the even in the next few years? :confused:

pvpaul7
PV Fan

Chip heuser

Unread postby pvpaul7 » Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:24 am

i think that chip heuser will be the one guy that will develop well in the next few years at Florida. I know that they have two great coaches up there, but lack of stellar athletes have left them out of the limelight.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:12 am

Chip is a stud, but watch out for Tommy Skipper if he goes DI ;)
Last edited by rainbowgirl28 on Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Fri Jan 10, 2003 10:41 am

we've had a very similar discussion on another thread one time....the thing is, Tommy is a stud now, but will he be in a couple years?
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

pvpaul7
PV Fan

Unread postby pvpaul7 » Fri Jan 10, 2003 11:08 am

Very true, sometimes big guys out of high school dont adapt very well to the college training and corriculum. :crying:

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Fri Jan 10, 2003 11:26 am

Why shouldn't Skipper be good after high school? Look at Jacob Davis: went to University of Texas physically mature and a 17'6 vaulter, jumped 5.90m his sophomore year and would have gone 6 meters if he gave a damn about the sport.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

lonpvh
PV Pro

Unread postby lonpvh » Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:41 pm

Good point Kris, of course where is he now??????? It all depends on what you characterise as a successful career. Some it may be purely the height you jump and other its what you accomplished along the way, and unfortunately, the publics perception is did you go to the Olympics. None of these are wrong are right, who know, who really cares. Lon

dubjones
PV Nerd

light humor

Unread postby dubjones » Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:41 pm

LB,
Something I just noticed.
The quote at the end of lonestar's post reads "nobody can coach desire...". But yet he seems to hold Jacob Davis in high regard.
Lonestar, why is this?
I don't know Mr. Davis personally, but I belive he had a great career, with a great outcome. He used polevaulting to pay for college, left with a degree I would assume, and has moved on to something he ovbiously felt to be of greater importance.

lonestar
PV Lover

Re: light humor

Unread postby lonestar » Fri Jan 10, 2003 8:37 pm

dubjones wrote:LB,
Something I just noticed.
The quote at the end of lonestar's post reads "nobody can coach desire...". But yet he seems to hold Jacob Davis in high regard.
Lonestar, why is this?
I don't know Mr. Davis personally, but I belive he had a great career, with a great outcome. He used polevaulting to pay for college, left with a degree I would assume, and has moved on to something he ovbiously felt to be of greater importance.

Dub,

Good point! I do hold Jacob in high regard for his physical prowess and the potential he had. I also agree with you that Jacob used his talent to get where he wanted to be in life. I only met him once, so I can't speak for him, but it seems as if he got what he wanted out of pole vaulting.

Just based on heresay from those in the TX PV world, the rumors had it that Jacob did not enjoy vaulting in college, and merely did it to fulfill his scholarship obligations. Now, that doesn't mean he didn't have desire, just not the desire to further his pv career. Rumor also has it that his distaste for vaulting stemmed from all those years spent in the Orangefield concentration camp for pole vaulting, where vaulting is not supposed to be fun (disclaimer: not my personal opionion, just rumor!).

Lon is right - success is seen through the eye of the beholder. I feel that Jacob had a successful collegiate career after already having a successful hs career, which was the question brought up earlier in this thread.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

baggettpv
PV Master

careers...

Unread postby baggettpv » Sat Jan 11, 2003 1:59 am

The best career is one where when you are 50 years old you look back on it and say to yourself......"I jumped just as high as I could of....."
Thats what we say around here.

Rick

runnerFL
PV Newbie

UF Vaulters

Unread postby runnerFL » Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:53 am

How can you say UF hasn't had stellar vaulters? They've got 2 guys that have already gone over 17' this season.

swtvault
PV Pro
Expertise: Part time semi elite vaulter--5.35 season best in 2009
Lifetime Best: 5.52

Unread postby swtvault » Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:13 pm

I am gonna toot my horn a little on this one.....Last year we had 3 guys over 17'6 at swt. Thats all done now though, with the defection of Ramvault and Buster heiny. The SWT legacy will hopefully continue in Lubbock--without me. See you guys at some meets.

SWTVAULT
Retain faith that you will prevail in the end, regardless of the difficulties.

Stockdale Paradox

Return to “Pole Vault - College”