Regionals Pole vault and high jump gets the shaft!

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Regionals Pole vault and high jump gets the shaft!

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Thu May 17, 2012 3:51 pm

It is very difficult sometimes up north to get a warm day and a straight wind. In an Olympic year I think it obsurd that of a pole vaulter or high jumper is having a good day that they must stop
When there is only 12 competitors remaining. In every other event you can qualify for the trials in any other event. I think that is very unfair especially since there is no meets before regionals or the weekend after. Does anyone else have a problem with this??
On a whole new level 6-20-09

kewh
PV Nerd
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt

Re: Regionals Pole vault and high jump gets the shaft!

Unread postby kewh » Thu May 17, 2012 4:17 pm

I wrote letters and E-mails to the proper people. I was told to deal with it. I do not like it or the response I received but I have to deal with it.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Thu May 17, 2012 4:23 pm

The regional meet is technically the NCAA Championships. It's just the qualification round so it's treated as such. For the vertical jumps, when you get your number of participates, you stop.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Thu May 17, 2012 7:33 pm

It makes since only because they call it the prelims, but usually you have prelims and then two days later you have finals. Now you have prelims, and two weeks later have finals. So for running events it makes it easier for athletes to get the standards and adds more doubles.

It is almost like they are trying to treat the vault just like everything else, but as vaulters people want to see PRs and meet records. But for runners, they just run to make the finals so they can do better later or double. So for instance if there was a vaulter who was doubling or had to go run a relay for their team, it is kind of beneficial to have the meet officials to say stop when your pride wont let you.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu May 17, 2012 10:17 pm

The entire concept of considering the regional meets the prelim round of NCAAs is stupid and just an excuse for ADs to proudly declare their kids are competing at NCAAs.

VaultPurple
PV Lover

Unread postby VaultPurple » Thu May 17, 2012 10:49 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:The entire concept of considering the regional meets the prelim round of NCAAs is stupid and just an excuse for ADs to proudly declare their kids are competing at NCAAs.

No it is a genius idea for track coaches, especially of men's programs. Men's track programs are one of the easiest cut programs due to Title IV because they are so large and women's teams can be even larger. So when a head coach needs to convince the AD and boosters that the men's track team is contributing to the University, it sounds really good to tell them you had 20 guys qualify for the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS while football did not make a bowl and baseball got kicked out of the first round of regionals.

Sometimes in this sport you have to stretch the truth from a political standpoint... this helps in that situation.

AllaboutPV1
PV Beginner
Expertise: College
Lifetime Best: 5.08
Favorite Vaulter: TIM MACK

Unread postby AllaboutPV1 » Fri May 18, 2012 1:52 pm

How come college national aren't like the world champion ships, and the Olympics. Why not have a qualification round and then two days later, have finals. This will get us jumpers prepared for competition after college. As for stoppage after 12, that would just get me fired up to jump in finals, i don't think it really affects a lot of people, they would rather go compete at nationals than pr any day, (well i would at least).

VaultPurple
PV Lover

Unread postby VaultPurple » Fri May 18, 2012 10:20 pm

AllaboutPV1 wrote:How come college national aren't like the world champion ships, and the Olympics. Why not have a qualification round and then two days later, have finals. This will get us jumpers prepared for competition after college. As for stoppage after 12, that would just get me fired up to jump in finals, i don't think it really affects a lot of people, they would rather go compete at nationals than pr any day, (well i would at least).

It used to be that way, but they had a qualifying mark for regionals and in certain events some regions had far more qualifiers. The biggest issue was the east qualified more sprinters and needed to have prelims, simi-finals, and finals for their meet while the west just needed prelims and finals. So they fixed that by just making it one big meet and letting a lot of people in on both sides.

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Unread postby CowtownPV » Sun May 20, 2012 9:12 pm

When the NCAA first went to regionals many track coaches thought if you had to compete your way to nationals it would add some excitement to track. Sort of a March Madness for track. So now you have a meet where you stop right in the middle of the meet. That should sell tickets. Of corse I can't find a schedule on NCAA or UT web site for this week. Thought about going down on Saturday but as usual track is anything but fan friendly.
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

kewh
PV Nerd
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt

Unread postby kewh » Sun May 20, 2012 11:24 pm

CowtownPV wrote:When the NCAA first went to regionals many track coaches thought if you had to compete your way to nationals it would add some excitement to track. Sort of a March Madness for track. So now you have a meet where you stop right in the middle of the meet. That should sell tickets. Of corse I can't find a schedule on NCAA or UT web site for this week. Thought about going down on Saturday but as usual track is anything but fan friendly.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/tex ... -sched.pdf

http://www.texassports.com/ot/2012-ncaa ... elims.html

zipsDIGSpv
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach

Unread postby zipsDIGSpv » Mon May 21, 2012 1:12 pm

I do wish they would let the jumpers who would want to try to hit a USA or Trials mark to continue to jump...you are only talking a few extra bars with no more than 12 competitors. It's a shame to take an opportunity away from the athletes ESP on a day with great conditions...they'll never go for it though. E
I beat my body and make it my slave
-I Corinthians 9:26-27

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Thu May 24, 2012 7:50 pm

CowtownPV wrote:When the NCAA first went to regionals many track coaches thought if you had to compete your way to nationals it would add some excitement to track.

Unfortunately, the minority of coaches from the traditional powerhouses hate competing for a spot for nationals so they lobbied to change a regional system, that worked from a fan perspective in the beginning, into the pathetic meet we have now.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

Return to “Pole Vault - College”