Catherine Street has high aspirations (Linfield)

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Catherine Street has high aspirations (Linfield)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:59 pm

http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfield ... ult_c.html

NCAA Division III pole vault champ Catherine Street has high aspirations, plus track notes
Published: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 5:53 PM Updated: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 5:54 PM
By Ken Goe, The Oregonian

This is going to be a busy spring for Linfield senior pole vaulter Catherine Street, the reigning NCAA Division III indoor pole vault champ.

Street is juggling 12 1/2-hour shifts at Randall Children's Hospital at Legacy Emanuel as part of her nursing practicum, completion of her degree requirements, and her training schedule.

A complicating factor is that Street's personal record of 13 feet 9 1/4 is a mere four inches from the B qualifying standard for the U.S. Olympic Trials.

"It's very doable, especially with the way I've been practicing," Street said.

Meeting the B standard won't necessarily get Street into the trials. But, if Street can clear, say, 14-4, that probably would be good enough.

"That would be awesome," she said.

Street was a competitive swimmer at Wilsonville High School who didn't break out as a pole vaulter until near the end of her senior season.

By then, she said, the Division I scholarships "were basically gone."

But Street liked Linfield's nursing program and went the Division III route. She admits to wondering what it would have been like had she vaulted for a Division I school, but isn't sorry she landed at Linfield.

"I like the Division III aspect of it," Street said. "I like being able to excel at track and academics. There is more of a one-on-one feel at a small school. And I wouldn't have changed the Linfield nursing program for anything. It's been great."

No matter what happens or doesn't happen at the trials, Street plans to continue competing post-collegiately with her club program, the Willamette Striders.

"I'm not done," she said. "Pole vaulters don't peak until their late 20s or early 30s."

73-vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Fan, Parent, High School Coach

Re: Catherine Street has high aspirations (Linfield)

Unread postby 73-vaulter » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:35 am

Catherine is a class act.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”