Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:47 pm

http://www.sjcctimes.com/sports/sjcc-s- ... -1.2161473

SJCC's first female pole vaulter reaches new heights
Ruth Le Beau stepped up to the track and grabbed life by the pole
By Analicia Najera

TIMES STAFF

Published: Wednesday, April 13, 2011
Updated: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 03:04

21-year-old Ruth Le Beau sprints down the runway to deliver maximum momentum and
correct position to begin the take-off as her coach and fellow pole vaulter look on. As the
pole slides into the back of the cushioned box, it starts to bend as Le Beau swings her
5'11" frame up and over the 10-foot bar.
This is Le Beau's second season competing in pole vaulting and long jump in track and
field for San Jose City College.
What makes Le Beau extraordinary on the field is that she is the first female to ever
attempt pole vault for SJCC.
"I think it's tremendous that she started at women's pole vault," said pole vault coach
Brandon Vance.
Le Beau had an interest in pole vault before college but James Lick High School did not
offer it. She has been competing in long jump since the sixth grade.
Track and Field head coach, Dave Flynn said that since she joined, they had to provide
some poles that were $400 to $500 each.
Due to the weather, Le Beau hasn't had many opportunities to compete, but that does not
stop her training to achieve her season goal of 12 feet.
Before her teammate, Aaron, joined men's pole vaulting this season, being the only pole
vaulter had made it difficult since there was no one with whom to compete.
"You kind of have to push yourself to improve," Le Beau said.
Besides the essential warm up before every event, Le Beau walks away from track
members to concentrate alone on her pole vault drills.
Her most memorable moment was last years NorCal meet. "It was a four way tie," Le
Beau said, "It was my last chance to get into State (championships) and I made the bar by
10 feet."
When asked of any inspirations for this sport, Le Beau giggled. She said, "He doesn't
know it but I have to say my pole vaulting coach. He always wants me to succeed and he
is a great coach."
"Brandon is my first and only pole vaulting coach," Le Beau said. Flynn cuts in, "Only?"
Rachel de la Torre  4/5/11 12:07 PM
Even though she might be unsure about the college she will be transferring soon,
Kinesiology major Le Beau said that she will most likely be pole vaulting but will
definitely be competing in long jump.
Since her Sacramento State meet, her personal record in long jump has been a 17.11 and
a half meters but is striving for 18.10 meters.
Aside from her track and field events, Le Beau enjoys rock climbing, dancing and going
to band shows. "I went to the A Day To Remember concert in San Francisco yesterday
(April 3). It was really fun."
She may be the only pole vaulter on track and field but head coach Flynn said, "We are
always looking for more girls to compete in pole vault."
Since her track and field appearance in 2010, Le Beau has improved in the long jump by
one inch and six feet in pole vault.
"It's very important for women to be leaders in something they haven't done before,"
Vance said. "It's all about winning the State title and it's all up to her to take it."

Return to “Pole Vault - College”