Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

1yeldud1
PV Pro

Article on Mizzou Pole vaulter Brian Hancock

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:24 pm

Brian Hancock: Closing Down an Impressive Career

March 22, 2011

By Nathan Allen, Mizzou Media Relations Student Assistant

Entering his final season as a Mizzou student-athlete, redshirt senior Brian Hancock (Monroe City, Mo.) had already broken a 16-year-old school record and become Missouri's first All-American in the pole vault in 50 years. Hancock has had his share of trials, but the toughness he exudes in practice and competition has its roots in a barn in rural Missouri.

As a seventh grader in Monroe City, Mo., Hancock spent a lot of his time playing football and basketball. Because of his strength and stature of 5 feet 3 inches, coaches saw Hancock being a perfect fit for the pole vault. The only problem was at the time there was no pole vault pit in the town of less than 3,000 people.

"We have a family farm with a barn that was perfect for pole vaulting," Hancock said.

After acquiring some old high jump mats (much smaller than traditional pole vault mats), Hancock began constructing his own pole vault pit. He dug out a hole in the dirt for the box, put together some old fence posts for the standards and got a bungee chord for the bar.

"Half the barn was my pole vault runway and the other half was full of tractors and combines," Hancock said.

Soon another problem arose - Hancock was getting better. Hancock began vaulting himself into the rafters and the makeshift pole vault pit was moved outside.

"When I am home during the summers, that is still where I train," Hancock said.

Those training grounds have proved successful. During his high school career, Hancock became the first person in Missouri high school history to with the pole vault during all four years of school. He broke the class two state record eight times, went undefeated his final three years, had the highest vaults of any jumper in Missouri his final three seasons and was named a high school All-American three times by dyestat.com and bantaspeed.com.

By the summer before his senior year, Hancock had received letters from more than 20 division one universities. However, when the first day coaches are allowed to call athletes came, Missouri associate head coach Dan Lefever was the first to call.

"Coach Lefever called and invited me on a recruiting visit," Hancock said. "The facilities were great, I knew Missouri had a good track program and the coaches were everything I could ask for."

Hancock did not need to take another visit - he knew we wanted to be at Mizzou.

"When I got to Mizzou, the coaches roomed me with (former Tiger shot putter) Andy Oaker," Hancock, who stands just 5-3, said laughing. "I think they thought it was funny because Andy was 6-6 and was a huge thrower."

After spending his first year adjusting to the added weight regimen and reworking technique, Hancock spent his sophomore campaign breaking a 16-year-old school indoor record and becoming Mizzou's first All-American in the pole vault in 50 years during the outdoor season. During his junior season, Hancock broke his own school record and received All-American placement in both the indoor and outdoor seasons.

Three meets into Hancock's senior year he suffered a stress fracture in his fifth lumbar vertebrae (bone low in the spine). The injury forced him to miss his entire senior year. Receiving a medical redshirt, Hancock began strenuous physical therapy in May of that year.

"Brian is used to regular vaulting and a pretty steady training regime," Lefever said. "However, he did not mope around and feel sorry for himself. He took action and made rest and rehab his regular training."

Hancock also said that the injury led to a change in his vaulting technique that has made him more consistent and successful. The success from the new technique has brought him another school record and All-American placement. But for Hancock, who is in constant competition with himself, it is not enough. For the outdoor season, Hancock wants to win a Big 12 title and place in the top four in the nation.

"A lot of track and field is competing against yourself because you can't really impact other athlete's performances," Lefever said. "Brian is focused on getting his best jump every time he jumps. He is always analyzing and working on how to make his performance better the next time. Obviously, this quality is something that many great performers have and I am glad that Brian is here to model it for the younger members of the team. This is who we are and how we compete at Missouri."

Upon graduation Hancock plans on enrolling in graduate school and improving in pole vault as much as possible.

"I am going to keep jumping and try to pursue a professional career as long as I can," Hancock said. "I want to do the Christian Cantwell plan."

Regardless of what the future holds, Hancock has already made his place in history on the Mizzou track team.

"Brian is a tremendous person and a young man I feel privileged to coach," Lefever said. "He has a great family who have always been supportive and many friends and neighbors from back home keeping tabs on his progress. He does everything the right way and is extremely driven toward excellence. I believe that it was this similar focus of our program which drew him to Missouri and what a fit it has been."

Hancock wanted to acknowledge Arnold Burditt, who got him started pole vaulting and his parents.

"He (Burditt) always told me I could go higher, no matter how high I went," Hancock said. "He was at the Collegiate Challenge and it was cool to have him and my parents be a part of where I am now."

altius
PV Rock Star

Re: Article on Mizzou Pole vaulter Brian Hancock

Unread postby altius » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:59 pm

A nice story about a lovely young man - but did Todd Cooper have something to do with the success that followed?
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

1yeldud1
PV Pro

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:06 am

LOL - YES, Todd did play a very major roll in Brian's growth as a pole vaulter - and yes Alan did manage to get several "attempts" to convert this young man to his style of vaulting - Alan remember the time at Todds when we were vaulting and that new born deer fawn walked right into the pole vault facility and laid down under the counter by the front door ????

Actually if you were to talk to Brian I'm shure he would mention multiple times that he has had a lot of people help him over his pole vault career - Todd and Alan included. As Brian's father I would like to say that it is simply amazing just how many people have "touched" Brians life during this journey - the very dear friends we have made, the College and High School coaches, pole vault officials, the groups that have hosted street vaults, our home town friends and family all have been so supportive of this journey.

One thing - for all young vaulters and Brian to remember - be shure to "give it back" to the next generation of young of kids - after all, remember all of the hours that everyone has spent helping you. Thank You so Much !!!!!

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:08 am

Great article! Good luck to Brian! :yes:

Pv_Mick
PV Newbie
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.71
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: GregDuplantisRenaudLavJoeBerry