Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Inter-Team Competition

Unread postby bjvando » Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:22 am

Does anybody's coacehes pit the athletes against each other ??

As in making athletes compete against each other to make the 'travel' team or to have them lead the workouts, or to see whos going to get the bigger scholraship, or get the better equipment???

I witnessed a terrible example this weekend, that resembled the coaches 'loyalty'....

im curious how other programs are handled.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:49 am

I don't think a scholarship should be based on how you do in practice. If they're thinking about changing up scholarships, they should base it on who performed when it counted.

uconnvaulta
PV Whiz

Unread postby uconnvaulta » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:17 pm

over here at uconn we are all pretty competitive, we dont get pushed to beat eachother, we get pushed to push eachother to the limit our whole vault squads over 16' so we have some potential two vaulters are seniors though so its more of the upper classmen not wanting to lose to me and my fellow sophomore, but thats about it , our coach at the begining of the year almost didn't take me for the indoor roster because i no heighted at a practice meet, and everyone else jumped well. well later that week i told him i was gonna make him eat everything he did to me and, when i tied for first at big east and got a new pr of 16 5 i shook his hand said i told you so, thats a good feeling. coaches sometimes get twisted though and want instant results, which in college is hard for the vault because switching from highschool to college is a huge transition and the vault is a very interesting event that takes time. so my freshmen year was a flop but now im comin around my coaches are happy now but makes me feel like if i was doing bad they wouldnt want to have anything to do with me. some coaches are all about scoring points at meets, and some are about the athlete and seeing that they reach there potential, in my case i have a coaching staff that is all about scoring points, if you score points they recognize you if you dont score points they probably dont even know how to spell your name. its our inner team that keeps us strong and pushing eachother , we vault for eachother not out coaches.
Train Harder than your competition

Return to “Pole Vault - College”