Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Lindenwood Pole Vaulters Rising To The Top

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:48 pm

Lindenwood Pole Vaulters Rising to the Top

Story and Pictures by Becca Gillespy

When Lane Lohr became the head track and field coach at Lindenwood University, he brought more to the job than his thirteen years of coaching. He also brought an eight-year career as an elite pole vaulter which provides Lindenwood’s vaulters with unique insight on how to succeed.

After a successful career as a pole vaulter for the University of Illinois, Lohr moved to Jonesboro, Arkansas to train with legendary coach Earl Bell. During his eight-year career as an elite vaulter, Lohr achieved a personal best of 18’8" and competed in two Olympic Trials. This vaulting experience is now helping Lohr recruit top vaulters to Lindenwood.

Freshmen Jayne Kristmann of Parkway West and Stuart McIntosh of Jackson both nearly decided to go to other schools until they found out Lohr would be the coach at Lindenwood. Freshman John Ryland spent the past year touring with a performing troupe, and is now competing for Lindenwood.

Jayne Kristmann

Sophomore Mark Aschen competed for Southwest Missouri State last year but transferred to Lindenwood this fall. Junior Becca Gillespy transferred to Lindenwood this spring from University of Georgia. Sophomore Dave Rabbitt went to Lindenwood last year but did not turn out for the track team because there was no vault coach. When he found out Lohr would be coaching this year, he dusted off his pole vault spikes and gave pole vaulting a second chance.

Mark Aschen

The Lindenwood vaulters dominated at the Heart of America Athletic Conference Championships last weekend.

On the women’s side, Jayne Kristmann set a new school record and won the meet with a jump of 11’1". Becca Gillespy placed second with a season best jump of 10’6". Their performances earned 18 points, helping the women’s team win the Conference Championship.

The Lindenwood men were even more dominating. Dave Rabbitt led off the competition with a personal best of 13’6", good for fourth place. Stuart McIntosh placed third with a vault of 14’6".

Stuart McIntosh

Mark Aschen tied his best mark ever with a clearance at 15’0" earning second place. John Ryland turned in his best performance for Lindenwood with a clearance of 15’6", earning the victory. Their performances scored 28 points, leading the men’s team to the Conference Championship.

Lindenwood’s pole vaulters will compete at the NAIA National Championships March 4-6 in Johnson City, Tennessee.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:38 pm

I forgot to include this picture that Michael took of us at Conference. Sorry about the quality, he had to scan it.

John, Rabbitt, Stuart, Jayne, Me, Mark

Return to “Pole Vault - College”