News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Re: How to make track more attractive?

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:16 pm

CowtownPV wrote:
coach-scott wrote:Lets look at track on TV?

Lap after lap of running in circles, with 15 seconds of vault, jumps and weights. .

I agree completely with what your saying but go to the message boards on TFN after a meet and those people are always crying about them only showing the first and last lap of the 5000. The distance folks are the ones with the most influence right now. I wish we could get something like the elite vault at Reno, or a big street vault with a rowdy crowd, on TV and see if it wouldn't sell. I hate the fact that only one Golden Spike meet had men's PV but I like the fact the meets were set up to only last two hours. I definitely think the 12 hour track meets have hurt us.

I feel the same about all you have said. And you are correct, most of the people in a position of influence with USATF, etc seem to have distance backgrounds.

I wonder if we can date the entry of race-walking and the downturn of good TV coverage at T&F meets, if there is any corrilation? :eek: LOL
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:20 pm

Race walking has been around since the 1920s or something, you can't blame the poor TV coverage on it. :P

It's a scored event in the NAIA :eek:

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:35 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Race walking has been around since the 1920s or something, you can't blame the poor TV coverage on it. :P

Really 1920's? There was a dance in the 20's called the Charleston, it was a fad and didn't last long. To bad race-walking's still around. LOL

My point is it is an "extremely" boring event to watch and when it is showed on TV, all of sudden it's time for people to coffee or un-coffee, and they will most likely start channel surfing too. When we live in an age where everyone wants things fast that sort of event doesn't cut it to keep attention. Heck, I stand in front of the microwave and wonder why it's taking so long. :D
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:40 pm

Carolina Extreme wrote:
rainbowgirl28 wrote:Race walking has been around since the 1920s or something, you can't blame the poor TV coverage on it. :P

Really 1920's? There was a dance in the 20's called the Charleston, it was a fad and didn't last long. To bad race-walking's still around. LOL

My point is it is an "extremely" boring event to watch and when it is showed on TV, all of sudden it's time for people to coffee or un-coffee, and they will most likely start channel surfing too. When we live in an age where everyone wants things fast that sort of event doesn't cut it to keep attention. Heck, I stand in front of the microwave and wonder why it's taking so long. :D

dont get me started on race walking. i could probably write several pages about why i think it is pointless and should not be competed.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”