TRANSFER

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

cheeseyman
PV Newbie

TRANSFER

Unread postby cheeseyman » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:26 pm

ok, does anyone know the rules for transferring?

Do coaches have to sign your release to talk to other schools, or do you just have to 'notify' your coach that you might be transferring?

or what is the best way to go about it? any advice is greatly appreciated!
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it

hurstiger
PV Fan

Been there, Done that

Unread postby hurstiger » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:59 am

You can start by going to the NCAA's website and reading the transfer guide. The link is:

http://www.ncaa.org/library/general/tra ... _guide.pdf

While I'm sure each coach is different, I would suggest you sit down and discuss your beef. If you are still intent on transferring, he /she will let you know how the school prefers you go about it. It is better to leave on good terms than to just walk out. However, some coaches don't tell you everything you need to know, hence, read the book.

I recommend that you don't wait forever to make up your mind. You only have so many years of eligibility so don't waste time and regret that you didn't make a move until it was to late. Go to where ever you are happy and productive. Good Luck.

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:31 pm

Ok, I actually know something about this one, cause i just transferred:
1. Your coach has to release you. If he doesnt then you can see a court that is made of people from surrounding community to plead your case. (You usually get released regardless)
2. You have to be all of the following:
a. Not in football, basketball, or ice hockey (I'm not too sure of the third, but i dont think it affects you, so... move to b.
b. It has to be the first time you have transferred.
c. You have to not be failing out of your previous school.
If you want to transfer in conference, both athletic directors have to sign off and you WILL NOT LOSE ELIGIBILITY. However, if one doesnt sign off, then you are f'd, cause you lose like two years i think.

Um.... I think thats it. Hope it helped.
(I broke some rules by calling coaches at the new school before i approached my old coach, which made it much easier, and efficient)
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:36 am

The conference thing varies by conference. Every conference sets their own rules. The bottom line is that it is easier to transfer to another conference. I had to sit out a year when I transferred from Florida to Georgia, even though I was not on the team at UF :confused:

vaultdad
PV Whiz
Expertise: An Official
Favorite Vaulter: Jillian Schwartz!

Unread postby vaultdad » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:46 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:The conference thing varies by conference. Every conference sets their own rules. The bottom line is that it is easier to transfer to another conference. I had to sit out a year when I transferred from Florida to Georgia, even though I was not on the team at UF :confused:

Yeah, that made a lot of sense. :confused:

This is why I personally believe commn sense is dead. "common" infers that everyone has at least some, and many times it has been proved to not be the case. :P
Vaulting Incognito "I saw those tubes on your truck, and I thought you were a plumber . . ."

VaultNinja
PV Pro
Expertise: Extensive
Lifetime Best: 5.60m
Favorite Vaulter: All the Great Ones

Unread postby VaultNinja » Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:03 pm

vaultdad wrote:
rainbowgirl28 wrote:The conference thing varies by conference. Every conference sets their own rules. The bottom line is that it is easier to transfer to another conference. I had to sit out a year when I transferred from Florida to Georgia, even though I was not on the team at UF :confused:

Yeah, that made a lot of sense. :confused:

This is why I personally believe commn sense is dead. "common" infers that everyone has at least some, and many times it has been proved to not be the case. :P

So what are you getting at? Are you bagging on NCAA? Because I personally think that the NCAA will always find some way to bend you over.
If someone tries to step on your dreams.... Step on their face.

vaultdad
PV Whiz
Expertise: An Official
Favorite Vaulter: Jillian Schwartz!

Unread postby vaultdad » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:23 pm

VaultNinja wrote:So what are you getting at? Are you bagging on NCAA? Because I personally think that the NCAA will always find some way to bend you over.

Actually, I didn't mean to rip anyone or any governing body. . .

But what was gained from Rainbowgirl28 sitting out from something she wasn't involved in at the time? How does not being on a team at college = being on a team in college?

We seem to have more rules nowadays than anyone can understand, implement, or actually enforce. :confused:
Vaulting Incognito "I saw those tubes on your truck, and I thought you were a plumber . . ."

VaultNinja
PV Pro
Expertise: Extensive
Lifetime Best: 5.60m
Favorite Vaulter: All the Great Ones

Unread postby VaultNinja » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:23 am

vaultdad wrote:
VaultNinja wrote:So what are you getting at? Are you bagging on NCAA? Because I personally think that the NCAA will always find some way to bend you over.

Actually, I didn't mean to rip anyone or any governing body. . .

But what was gained from Rainbowgirl28 sitting out from something she wasn't involved in at the time? How does not being on a team at college = being on a team in college?

We seem to have more rules nowadays than anyone can understand, implement, or actually enforce. :confused:

I agree.
If someone tries to step on your dreams.... Step on their face.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:40 am

Yeah I got tired of being screwed over by the NCAA. :confused: Yay for the NAIA. :yes:

xtremevaulter

I just transfered too.

Unread postby xtremevaulter » Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:06 pm

My transfer was pretty easy, mainly because I only competed in like 1 official meet for my old university, so I got an immediate release and was able to move with out incident.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”