Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

smokinvaulter1
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Semi Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.55m
Favorite Vaulter: Joe Dial

Colwick 5.72 at Texas relays

Unread postby smokinvaulter1 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:46 pm

Colwick went 5.72 and maston wallace went 5.55. Must be good conditions great jumping both days.

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Colwick 5.72 at Texas relays

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:18 pm

Just talked to my coach (and Jason's HS coach), Kris Allison, who saw the jump and said it was great but he has a lot more to come. He ran out of gas at the end today. Apparently he blew up 5.60m by a foot and a half and ended capping a 5m/14.5. Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:19 pm

Great job Jason and Maston! :yes:

BritDawg
PV Whiz
Expertise: Club Coach, Former High School Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, Current Vaulter

Unread postby BritDawg » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:33 am

I can vouch for the foot and a half over 5.60!! It was a ridiculous jump!! No exaggeration!
Isaiah 40:31

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:15 pm

the 560 jump was probably the highest I'ver seen anybody fly. Jason's warmup was pretty danged impressive too!
compete and jump safe, have fun

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:53 pm

Video? BTW - he's from San Marcos, Texas where he was called the "San Martian", I'm guessing because of his out of this world technique? Kris/Brit? Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:35 am

Bubba PV wrote:Video? BTW - he's from San Marcos, Texas where he was called the "San Martian", I'm guessing because of his out of this world technique? Kris/Brit? Bubba

Yeah, that's a title Dev used to give people from San Marcos, San Martian's, since they're usually a little different. Lots of hippies and weirdos in San Marcos. Jason fit the bill for that title pretty well as he had that skater persona and wild style with his vault. I heard his college coach Dave Butler refer to him as "some kind of alien." I believe it, he can't be human!

Incidentally, he put about 4" all the way around a tight 5.80 bungee in warmups.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

David Butler
PV Newbie

Unread postby David Butler » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:30 pm

Jason held at 4.90 on a 5.00 15.5, 15.0, and 14.7 or 14.5 if I remember right. This higher handhold and move to 5.00 poles is a result of his consistency on the 4.90 poles with a 15'10" grip. It is his great commitment to improving, his willingness to do whatever we require, his trust his coaches, that has brought him into the world of elite pole vaulting. I no longer call him "alien" because he has matured into a focused, hard-driving athlete, never satisfied, always seeking perfection. Rather than alien, I call him "unique", gifted, and "one of a kind! It is 2 and half years of hard work, 1000's of repetitions of straight pole work, drills, exercises, and much more, that has brought him to the edges of greatness. In 30 years of coaching, I have never seen one like him. And, if you saw him over 5.60 and 5.72, you know that he is ready for more! There is a quote given to me by a great mentor, "Some see, many understand, but very few grind away at correctness." This is Jason. Watch out! A new nickname for him, spoken to me from a face in the crowd....... "the human trebuchet" David Butler

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:34 pm

What's a Human Trubechet, you ask?

Don't try this at home! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67fFDiPRsrk

A very fitting nickname for Jason! ;)

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:19 pm

Did anyone get any video of this?
On a whole new level 6-20-09

pvaulter2001
PV Beginner

Unread postby pvaulter2001 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:43 pm

tennpolevault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Collegiate Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.65m

Unread postby tennpolevault » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:11 pm

Damn......that is crazy. Total committment ! The only thing that scares me with this jump is really not the performance issues. I think he could jump 5.80-5.90m. I would be more worried about the hyperextension load on his lumbar spine. Having both legs back allows the pelvis to anteriorly rotate (big low back curve) which does give him a big stretch and reflex from his core. This is good for vaulting, but that repetitive stress may take a toll on his lumbar laminae and cause a defect or "scotty dog". This is a stress fracture on one or both sides if it progresses. I hope this does not develop because I really want to see how far the young man can take it. I do think that some knee block in front would decrease his excessive lordosis and reduce his chances of a spondy.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”