DI Men - Colwick 5.60, Olhovsky, Scott 5.45

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

1yeldud1
PV Pro

Re: DI Men - Colwick 5.60, Olhovsky, Scott 5.45

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:35 pm

The most awsome feat was that Colwick ONLY left the ground THREE times (Total number of trips down the runnway) and had the pole vault event WON !! This young man did an awsome job. A Kansas coach and I were sitting in the stands and were contemplating as to a year from now, how many vaulters will be attempting this "unique" style of vaulting ?? Time will tell.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:16 pm

http://preracejitters.com/category/news-results/
Men’s Pole Vault Champion
Jason Colwick – Rice
I felt a little off considering how I did in conference a few weeks ago. I was able to shake it off and I had a couple of good practices coming into the meet, which made me very confident. For most of the season I have been jumping alone for the last couple hours of the meet so it was nice to come in and have guys to jump against. This is all happening very fast, but I am sure I will catch up. I have never been an All-American before so this is all very new to me. I am just glad my parents were able to see me win this.

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:56 pm

Video of 5.55m and 5.60. My coach Kris Allison alerted me to this link. He coached Jason to 17' in high school. Good luck duplicating this style kids. Whatever works!! Congrats!! Bubba

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOBAV8HLVEc
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:43 pm

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:13 pm

All of us at Lone Star Pole Vaulting, Staff and vaulters, want to send out a HUGE CONGRATS to Jason Colwick on his first National Championship! :yes: :yes: :yes:

We're all very proud of you Jason. Wish we could have been there to see it.

Congrats to Coach David Butler too on a fine job of cleaning up major elements of Jason's technique!

By the way, this guy's style is completely self-made - none of us who have ever worked with him taught him to do this, this is just Jason taking a tap-swing from gymnastics and treating the pole like a high bar. Those of us foolish enough to think we could "break him of it" found that there really is something to his style, it works, and that it's not coachable, or even teachable. Don't try this at home folks, it's an art. Haven't seen anybody swing and get on top of a pole faster in this country.

He is the most CONFIDENT person I've ever met. It's not a matter of IF he'll jump 5.80, it's WHEN. My money says this year, possibly Texas Relays. Not cocky, he just KNOWS he's going to jump that high and his willed himself to do it.

From 15'6 as a junior in high school, to 17'0 as a senior, to 18'4 so far as a junior in college, look for this guy to keep improving!

Way to go Jason!! :D
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:50 am

http://www.examiner.com/x-4892-Houston- ... since-1995

Colwich wins first Rice title since 1995
March 16, 3:57 PM · Add a Comment
ShareThis Feed

Jason Colwick. Rice Athletics.
COLLEGE STATION - Jason Colwich became the first Rice athlete to win an individual NCAA indoor title since 1995 with his win in the pole vault over the weekend.
Colwich won by a sizeable margin with a final vault of 5.60-meters or 18-foot, 4.5-inches. Yevgeniy Olhovsky, from Virginia Tech, was second clearing 17-foot, 10.5-inches.
After having the meet won Colwich took three attempts at beating his personal-best for the year. He said the extra attempts, if completed, would have moved him up the world rankings.
Once the announcer brought the crowd's attention to the pole vault, Colwick raised his arms and urged the crowd to get behind him. The nearly 5,000 in attendance at McFerrin Athletic Center stood to cheer him on.
"Definitely those third attempts when the crowd gets going," Colwick said. "That's what gets me going."
At the Conference USA meet the Rice junior struggled, but he said everything came together at the right time.
"(Friday) was absolutely crazy," Colwish said. "I came in no-heighting at the conference meet. We had a few good practices coming into this meet. The competition was amazing, the best meet of the year by far."
During much of the season Colwich has competed alone at the end of meets. He said being able to watch the competition, rather than just a height on a leader board, provided a nice change of pace.
"I've never been an All-American, so this experience is definitely motivation for that," Colwick said. "We're in the process of tearing up our track. So we're taking a couple of weeks off to work strictly on strength and conditioning."

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:39 pm

Outstanding, congrats Jason, here's to 5.80 at the Relays, my money is on you.
compete and jump safe, have fun

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:30 am

good morning

A BIG congrats jason.. david, lonestar and all involved... awesome job..

i do want to add .. i hope others don't try this.. just like Earl's knee drop should not have been copied way back in 1974-75.. because it was "natural' .. this is not a style to copy.. Jason has a very unique and high level of physical skills that can't be safely duplicated .. the injury possibility could be a factor and the breaking of poles another issue if you are not on the right pole ..

i am not saying this to take away from what Jason has done.. his accomplishments get my highest accolades, David knows that.. but this is not something for the coach or young athlete to "jump on the band wagon" on.. stay with the basics of:

RUN>>PLANT>>>SWING

….and what is correct, for you, to apply and transfer the most force onto the pole..

dj
Last edited by dj on Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:52 pm

I have a girl that does this occasionally, I've been trying to break her of it but she barely ever came to pv practice last year only three times. Now I'm wondering if I should try to break her of it b/c she does get a big powerful swing.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”