College Vaulters

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

monopoly00
PV Wannabe

College Vaulters

Unread postby monopoly00 » Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:45 pm

Just wondering how many of you got any scholarships to the college that you are at right now. If so, how much did you get? How high were you vaulting your senior year to land the scholarship? Thanks!

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:13 pm

for those of you worried about money in college remember there are a lot more scholarships for smarts than there are for track and most of those tend to go to distance runners but dont get me started on that.

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:11 pm

but what about the people not smart enough to get "scholarships for smarts".?? I guess you could always play football, they tend to give out allot of schlorships :yes:
What have you done today to get better?

swtvault
PV Pro
Expertise: Part time semi elite vaulter--5.35 season best in 2009
Lifetime Best: 5.52

Unread postby swtvault » Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:48 pm

For a DI program, a track team will generally have 12.5 scholarships for the whole team. You can expect 90% of those scholarships to go to the sprint, distance, and throw guys, as they can typically do more than one event. Until you prove yourself as a national caliber pole vaulter, they are unlikely to fork over too much money to a one-event guy. I think my team only had one or possibly two people on a full scholarship, and those guys were 20-30 point people.
Retain faith that you will prevail in the end, regardless of the difficulties.

Stockdale Paradox

mcminkz05
PV Great

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:04 am

Whihc is why if you can be good at more than just the pole vault youll have a better shot at part of a schlorship.

But swtvault you jumped like 16-8 in hs, how much did you get for that? just out of curiosity..

swtvault
PV Pro

Unread postby swtvault » Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:17 am

But swtvault you jumped like 16-8 in hs, how much did you get for that? just out of curiosity..

Not as much as most people would think.....like I said, most schools are real reluctant to give a guy a big scholarship right away. If they think you will have an immediate impact, they may fork over more dough, but its all on a case by case scenario--ie, what conference, what division, how competitive you may be. If you want more specifics PM me. Take care

GF

Stockdale Paradox

mcminkz05
PV Great

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:26 am

yeah, im hoping to get $ in football, but if that doesnt work out, track could be a backup. but yeah, iv heard that they dont give much at all for vaulters.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:40 am

mcminkz05 wrote:yeah, im hoping to get $ in football, but if that doesnt work out, track could be a backup. but yeah, iv heard that they dont give much at all for vaulters.

Well, virtually every football player is on a full ride since there's like 96 scholarships available at the D1 level. But if you were a man, you'd stick with pole vaulting and not wuss out for football! ;)

If you really need the money, pick the school you wanna go to, apply early and apply for financial aid immediately. About 20% of need-based scholarships & aid aren't awarded every year because not enough qualified candidates apply in time. So if you are needy, getting aid shouldn't be an issue.

I'll answer the money question. If want to go to a major university (Michigan, Texas, Oregon, UCLA, etc.), 16' may get you books, 17' could get you a couple of grand...maybe. The less of a powerhouse, in general the more of a scholarship you could get. 17' at a DII school will probably get you a full ride since you'd be a national qualifier coming out of high school. Look at the school's conference. If 16' wins conference every year, 16' out of high school could get you more there. If it takes 18'+ to medal, 16' & books should be considered lucky.

Regardless, athletic scholarships are only for 1 year and I know of very few athletes who haven't had their scholarship cut at least once in four years.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

swtvault
PV Pro

Unread postby swtvault » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:08 am

Well, virtually every football player is on a full ride since there's like 96 scholarships available at the D1 level. But if you were a man, you'd stick with pole vaulting and not wuss out for football!

If you really need the money, pick the school you wanna go to, apply early and apply for financial aid immediately. About 20% of need-based scholarships & aid aren't awarded every year because not enough qualified candidates apply in time. So if you are needy, getting aid shouldn't be an issue.

I'll answer the money question. If want to go to a major university (Michigan, Texas, Oregon, UCLA, etc.), 16' may get you books, 17' could get you a couple of grand...maybe. The less of a powerhouse, in general the more of a scholarship you could get. 17' at a DII school will probably get you a full ride since you'd be a national qualifier coming out of high school. Look at the school's conference. If 16' wins conference every year, 16' out of high school could get you more there. If it takes 18'+ to medal, 16' & books should be considered lucky.

Regardless, athletic scholarships are only for 1 year and I know of very few athletes who haven't had their scholarship cut at least once in four years.

Thats is all that really needs to be said. That is how it really works. I tend to be a sceptic when I hear stories of people getting full rides for pole vaulting right out of HS.

Stockdale Paradox

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:00 pm

If a vaulter can get 1/3 scholarship out of HS he is doing good. The key to getting more is jumping REALLY high, doing multiple events, or going to a small D1 school or other smaller school where lower heights can score.

Decathletes seem to do well because they can fill in where ever they are needed. One of our vaulters a few years ago wasn't jumping high enough to get money for vaulting, so I suggested between his junior and senior years to start getting marks in other events and we sold him as a Decathlete to a smaller D1 school. Between Athletic and Academic money he did very well.

Most coaches I talk to have limited money for vaulters because of the one event. Is it the education or the coaching that you want most? You can get a good education at most any school, unless it is a very specialized field of study that few schools offer. Do you have to have money to go to college? If you have to get scholarship money to go, you may have to go somewhere where there is no vault coach.

If you want to take your vaulting to the next level, you may have to pay your way to get the coaching you want. Check into financial aid also. If your grades are really good in HS you can go almost anywhere you like without an athletic scholarship. Young vaulters take notes!

Also, there are more scholarships available for the female vaulters. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I think there are about 16 scholarships available for women's track in D1 -vs- 12.5 for the males track programs. So female vaulters are likely to get more money, if there is any available. Many schools have already spent the money on other athletes, vaulters or not.
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:36 pm

here's a good website for scholarships that I've been using, though none have been related to polevaulting. It's a site where you fill out a profile (age, ethnicity, year in school, GPA, extra-curricular, etc.) and they match up every potential scholarship they have to your profile. It works great, I still have to finish filling out most of mine. Most of the scholarships are worth approx. $1000, and my search found 77+ scholarships thusfar.

www.fastweb.com[url][/url]

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:49 pm

Last I'd heard, it was 19 for women and 12.6 for men. We only had 1 or 2 guys on a full ride. I jumped 16' 2" in HS and got books my first year. I had to score some points at the conference meets a couple of years and started running on the 4x1, running hurdles, brfore i got bumped up to room and board as well.

My buddy Randy came in on room and board and worked his way up to a full ride, so there is hope! (He went from a 17 footer to jumping 18' 5" in 2 years)
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

Return to “Pole Vault - College”