College Vaulters

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

C-townvault
PV Whiz

Tuition

Unread postby C-townvault » Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:35 pm

I heard that some colleges will wave out of state tuition? Any truth to this? Cuz that would definetly make it more reasonable to vault in college even w/o a scholarship.

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Re: Tuition

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:29 pm

C-townvault wrote:I heard that some colleges will wave out of state tuition? Any truth to this? Cuz that would definetly make it more reasonable to vault in college even w/o a scholarship.

Nope, that'd be called a HUGE NCAA violation. Tried for that myself. They'd have to dip into their scholarships to get you that. Wish it were otherwise........

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:35 am

vaultguru6 wrote:
C-townvault wrote:I heard that some colleges will wave out of state tuition? Any truth to this? Cuz that would definetly make it more reasonable to vault in college even w/o a scholarship.

Nope, that'd be called a HUGE NCAA violation. Tried for that myself. They'd have to dip into their scholarships to get you that. Wish it were otherwise........

Not in all circumstances. In many states, if a student/athlete receives any aid at all (ie books) then the out of state tuition is waived. Also, at many colleges a student may apply for an out of state waiver scholarship granted by the university. These scholarships are usually called "Spirit Scholarships" or "Academic Service" scholarships and do not violate NCAA rules as long as they are not mixed with other athletic aid as well.

Barto

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:44 am

Barto wrote:
vaultguru6 wrote:

Not in all circumstances. In many states, if a student/athlete receives any aid at all (ie books) then the out of state tuition is waived. Also, at many colleges a student may apply for an out of state waiver scholarship granted by the university. These scholarships are usually called "Spirit Scholarships" or "Academic Service" scholarships and do not violate NCAA rules as long as they are not mixed with other athletic aid as well.

Barto

That is great information to know. I guess asking for a list of schools or states that allow this would be asking a bit much? I doubt a list like that is available. It would be worth a great deal to have one though.
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:52 pm

Carolina Extreme wrote:That is great information to know. I guess asking for a list of schools or states that allow this would be asking a bit much? I doubt a list like that is available. It would be worth a great deal to have one though.

I think most schools allow some students to have out of state tuition waived under certain circumstances. You would just have to talk to an advisor and look into how it is done.

My parents have paid out of state tuition for me at Florida and Georgia :confused: For me to be an in-state resident, I would have to go off their health insurance, among other things, and they do not want to do that.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:41 pm

yeah. for guys, unless your doing multiple events you might as well accept that money will not be thrown your way. certain schools might but pretty much title ix kills us.

then sometimes bad luck just gets thrown at you. i.e. i was told that VT would cover 2/3 of my tuition coming out of hs. but then the head coach got fired before the paper work finished, and now im not even getting books. but our coach is awesome, and our facilities are AMAZING. so ill deal
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Return to “Pole Vault - College”