VaultNinja
PV Pro
Expertise: Extensive
Lifetime Best: 5.60m
Favorite Vaulter: All the Great Ones

Unread postby VaultNinja » Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:41 pm

Skyin' Brian wrote:
VaultNinja wrote:
lonpvh wrote:Actually, I think he is paying for it by himself. He just wants the chance to compete DI. LB

We spoke in Reno, and he said that they are giving him an offer he basically can't refuse. They are going to pay for some schooling that would have costed him thousands in the near future. Of course he is excited to jump D1, but he also going to get a degree for free in return for one outdoor season of vaulting. Not a bad deal.

how does paying for "some" of the schooling translate into a "free degree" also, the phrase "free in return" doesnt quite make sense.

I love how "you" "put" "quotes" on everything by the way. Your that same guy who always says "so called elite vaulter". Jeremy is getting a legitamate scholarship which he can use towards graduate school with his fifth year of eligability (some people do still get their undergrad in 4 years), which he has earned the right too, being a "so called elite vaulter" and a scholar. I was just trying to explain his situation, since people where curious, and I guess I used poor wording and do apologize. If you have such a big problem with elite vaulters, why do you always read messages in the college/elite vault group. I consider Jeremy a friend and don't appreciate it when you try to cheapen the honors he has earned. He is getting education "in return" for performance, and he is getting a "free degree" in the sense that he doesn't have to pay for it, he still has to earn it. Is that clear enough for you, or do you want me to draw you a picture.
If someone tries to step on your dreams.... Step on their face.

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:08 pm

VaultNinja wrote:
Skyin' Brian wrote:
VaultNinja wrote:
lonpvh wrote:Actually, I think he is paying for it by himself. He just wants the chance to compete DI. LB

We spoke in Reno, and he said that they are giving him an offer he basically can't refuse. They are going to pay for some schooling that would have costed him thousands in the near future. Of course he is excited to jump D1, but he also going to get a degree for free in return for one outdoor season of vaulting. Not a bad deal.

how does paying for "some" of the schooling translate into a "free degree" also, the phrase "free in return" doesnt quite make sense.

I love how "you" "put" "quotes" on everything by the way. Your that same guy who always says "so called elite vaulter". Jeremy is getting a legitamate scholarship which he can use towards graduate school with his fifth year of eligability (some people do still get their undergrad in 4 years), which he has earned the right too, being a "so called elite vaulter" and a scholar. I was just trying to explain his situation, since people where curious, and I guess I used poor wording and do apologize. If you have such a big problem with elite vaulters, why do you always read messages in the college/elite vault group. I consider Jeremy a friend and don't appreciate it when you try to cheapen the honors he has earned. He is getting education "in return" for performance, and he is getting a "free degree" in the sense that he doesn't have to pay for it, he still has to earn it. Is that clear enough for you, or do you want me to draw you a picture.

dude, calm down, i never had any intention of putting down jeremy. all i was saying is that a scholarship is not free since it means you have to jump(although this may be better than free) but some of you are saying he is paying for his school, some say he is not. i was just wondering which was true.
when i use quotes i am doing so to emphasize that i am referring to someone elses argument. in this case i was interested in how he is getting a free degree when someone else said that he was paying for his own school. this could be true if his scholarship covers all of his grad school even though it is for one season of track or if he finishes the grad classes in a year(i dont know how his scholarship works or what graduate program he is in, but i done claim to.)
also, i never called jeremy a "so called elite vaulter" i consider him an elite vaulter. i believe that if you can qualify for a usatf national meet you can be considered an elite vaulter.(jeremy going to the world championships would make him "world class")
when i use that elite vaulter phrase it was in a thread where cp vault was complaining about the regional system and how it was unfair to the elite college vaulters because it let in those that werent elite.
anyway, i never said that jeremy didnt deserve what he is getting or that he wasnt elite or that i believe myself to be elite. and i thought that my arguments on the regionals thead were good. im sorry if i was way off base there and here but these were just my opinoins.
-brian deloriea

das_1971
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, bum
Lifetime Best: smthing lo
Favorite Vaulter: Don Pablo Espanol

Unread postby das_1971 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:24 pm

that elite because you can qualify for elite thing would work except that if you look through history or all sports you will see that many 'elite' athletes are very young. the term elite just means your the best. Professional on the other hand, means you get paid, and that where the lines drawn.
Ow

Return to “Pole Vault - College”