Top DI Schools for Women Vaulters???

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Top DI Schools for Women Vaulters???

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:11 pm

If you had to make a list of the top DI schools with a great pole vault coach --- in other words, not just a jumps coach that you share with LJ, TJ, and HJ--with a high success rate for women, which schools would they be and what are the vault coaches' names?
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19
The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:35 pm

At Georgia we had 7 girls between 12'0" and 13'9.25" last year. Our vault Coach is Aaron James and he just coaches vaulters and multis.

Barto
PV Great

Unread postby Barto » Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:51 pm

Why eliminate the coaches who coach other events?

My experience is that 99% of the time the best coaches are going to coach more than one event.

With the exception of Coach James at Georgia, and Coach Curran at UCLA, I can't think of anyone I would trust my kid with who does not coach other events. Certainly no one with multiple NCAA placers in the last few years.

Barto*

*disclaimer - I coached everything!

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Coaches

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:21 pm

I should probably clarify to say that in other words the vaulters actually have a pole vault specific coach... I know that at some schools the vaulters are kind of left to take care of themselves when it actually comes to vaulting technique...
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19

The Sovereign LORD is my strength;

he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,

he enables me to go on the heights.

Barto
PV Great

Unread postby Barto » Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:14 pm

Thanks for clarifying.

No good program is going to leave any athlete uncoached in any event.
Last edited by Barto on Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:16 pm

I like Barto's list, I'm going to slip in a few more, Texas Tech, Don Hood Jr. my boy is only 7months old, but as soon as he's able to put a pole in his hand, he will visit Don D. Texas A&M, Martha Brennan just got her feet wet in this event, but she understands the event and the mentality, plus a&m has too much tradition, those guys jump high even when they cant'. Those Aggies are tough. Oklahoma, Tom keeps bringing big time vaulters out of their shells, he's good. There is a sleeper at SWT, Nick West, I think he's going to be a pretty good coach, allready helped one of his vaulters to a NCAA all american list. McNeese St. has a pretty good coach in Ol' Russ Buller, he's jumped a few good bars and sold a few bowflex machines to boot. I got to give more props to Aaron James, he's a good coach and person, I like the coaches that thinks people first, then athletic perfomance.
compete and jump safe, have fun

Barto
PV Great

Unread postby Barto » Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:03 am

Hangin' out in the state of Texas for four years is not exactly a bad choice.

Barto
Last edited by Barto on Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:49 am

Many schools have produced very good vaulters and maybe 20% of them have a competent vault coach, so you can't say that a vault coach equates success. And every single great vault coach has had athletes who haven't improved one inch under them. Maybe 10% of success is due to coaching, 90% of it is up to the athlete. You can have the best coach in the world, but if you haven't set yourself up for success, chances are you won't reach your potential. This starts with everything outside of track. You've got to pick a college that you will enjoy living at for 4-5 years, pick a town & climate you'll enjoy, etc...if you are stressed out from all the factors outside of track, I'll guarantee it'll bleed over into your performance on the runway.

Also, I believe Bubka hit the nail on the head when he said too many vault coaches are too specialized in that event. They don't know enough about sprinting, gymnastics, weight training, etc. to take athletes to the elite level. You've got to be a better athlete before you become a better vaulter.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

Cpvault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College/Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.50
Favorite Vaulter: Dean Starkey

Unread postby Cpvault » Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:12 pm

My Alma Mater is constantly overlooked when it comes to vaulting; especially on these message boards. Cal Poly San Luis Obispo (Division 1; Big West Conference). I tend to agree with some of the other posts; it's not always the coach, sometimes it's your surroundings (facilities; other jumpers, etc...) We had 5 jumpers go to NCAA's in 1998 and 1999 (2 guys, 3 women), while producing the 2 different Women's National Champions those years (Bianca Maran; Paula Serrano). The coach, Sheldon Blockburger, coach's Jon Takahashi (17'8") right now, and Paul Terek(Decathlon World Championship finalist; 18'8" pole vaulter) as well as, a couple of good girls. In addition, Jan Johnson's pole vault club/camp is only 15 minutes up the road. I train there, as well as, Dean Starkey and Jill Starkey, Justin Nordberg (18') and a slew of good girls and guys. What I'm trying to say is, I've always believed that my surroundings helped me succeed here at Poly, as well as, good solid coaching. It's not uncommon to be at a BBQ here on the Central Coast, and have 6 18 footers; a world championship bronze medalist; an olympic bronze medalist; 4 14 foot girls; and a bunch of aspiring vaulters. It's a great area. (Ssshhhhh!!!! don't tell anyone; it's a secret)

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:31 pm

ditto: ( to cpvault that is) my older brother went there and enjoyed it very much. he ended up vault pretty good and had fun at the same time.
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:20 am

<----------- Enough said...
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

beastlyvaulter708
PV Newbie
Location: the ivys of providence(part-time)--youngstown, oh (the other time)

Unread postby beastlyvaulter708 » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:12 pm

Though he usually doesn't get very many female vaulters, Coach Mitchell from the U of Akron in Ohio has a great vault program. His girl went 13'9".75 last season and though he is the head coach, he spends most of his time on the vaults
Brown Vaulting. We do it MFA-style.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”