Good Colleges for Vaulters?!?

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:01 am

I never said Don D. was a bad coach - you didn't read very carefully. I said he was an average coach who recruits exceptional athletes. Yes, those improvements are respectable, but there's a lof of factors involved that have nothing to do with Don's knowledge-base. When you have that many people at that high of a level already, it makes the others rise to the occasion - especially great athletes - but what about the not-so-great athletes? How much higher did Wes jump than he did in high school? How about AnneMarie or Kathy? A truly great coach can make people at all level improve, not just the great athletes. Any good coach could have gotten those improvements.

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:03 am

And not to mention ... I can't speak for Buster, you, or Bobby, but Geoff, Sammy, and Mike all spent a lot of time working with Shawn Devereaux those years that they improved a lot. But what about Nick? How much did he improve with Don D.?

thornhillj
PV Nerd

Unread postby thornhillj » Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:12 am

first off, nick broke his wrist right after he transferred from Wichita State and was never the same....Hood has the knowlege....do you think he just sat there and twiddled his thumbs every summer at all of the camps?? no, he learned to find imperfections in peoples vaults and correct them...and of course someone would want to recruit the best athletes possible...why would you want to recruit an athlete that isnt any good? that doesnt make sense....and whether someone is a good athlete or not, to be a good vaulter, one must be dedicated to the sport.....sure teams have jumpers that dont jump in the clouds, but how hard they work and their dedication to the sport is probably the biggest factor along with the coaching......and i hope none of those 3 people you mentioned are members to this site.......because you just made yourself look really silly for saying that about them.......

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:18 am

I didn't make anyone look silly. And, I've seen a lot of truly dedicated vaulters not improve. And, I never said Don D. hasn't learned anything from camps or anywhere else. I merely pointed out the fact that great athletes make good reputations for coaches, and West Texas winds, deep boxes, and bungees with a lot of sag equal high clearances!

thornhillj
PV Nerd

Unread postby thornhillj » Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:29 am

well, ive lived in west texas and down there, and the last time i checked all the boxes ive jumped with are all the same size, and only the best vaulters around can handle the winds out here (good or bad)...all im saying is i would hate to be wes or one of the others and read what you put about them...all im saying is that i would not have jumped 16'10" this year without coach hood.

man, im not trying to burn any bridges here...its just aggrevates me to see someone that coach hood has helped, speak little of him.

credit should be given where credit is due......coach hood deserves it.

no hard feelings man, see you at the vault party

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:35 am

I think you're reading too much into what I wrote: I have given credit to Coach Hood and his dad for helping me on this site. I'm not belittling Don D., just pointing out that his strenths as a coach lie more in who he puts on the team (which is a good thing!), and that there are lots of other coaches out there that have just as good or better technical models who can't recruit or spot talent as well as he can. And as for those other 3 people, I would LOVE to see them improve and kick some a** this year. I'm not coaching them, but that's their decision, not mine. All I care about are my guys that I'm coaching to the best of my ability, and who I feel are truly going to rise to the occasion this year. I wish all you Tech boys good luck too! I have no hard feelings towards y'all, neither do my guys. We just feel that we made the right decisions, and that we're going to be all the more successful for doing so. I hope your training is going well and I look forward to talking with you on the 2nd.

Kris

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:36 am

and p.s. - I've measured that Abilene box - it's 9 1/2 inches deep ;)

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Oct 15, 2002 2:05 am

My 11mo old chocolate lab just died and my office just got robberd, so I can't sleep, so I'm triyng to keep my mind busy here. Obviously if you are being recruited by DI schools and offered scholarships this may not be the choice for you. If you have great potential, love vaulting, and were a little deficent on the coaching side, this may be an option for you. The university of Wisconsin La-Crosse is pretty consistant with putting out contenders for the national championship in the vault. Also you have a pretty good chance at a team national championship title and ring at some piont in you four to five year stay. I know thier vault coach has changed over the past few years but they still seem to put out good vaulters and invest heavilly in the vault program. Thier most recent was Hans Schmitt who won the outdoor title two years ago at 17'4" I believe as a freshman. he vaulted 14'9 or 15 in hs. He didn't compete this year. It awyas seems like every year they have at least one or two vaulters qualify for the NCAA meet. I remember years in the mid early 90's when La Cross would qualify as many as five vaulters for NCAA III nationals. Of course NCAA III is a small pond, debends on were you are at in HS and what you think your potential really is. Remember the highest vault indoors at the national meet was in D III ;) .

lonpvh
PV Pro

Unread postby lonpvh » Tue Oct 15, 2002 5:49 am

NICE!!!!, A rivalry in Texas. Well, here is my little bit. I think Kris said that all his success this year will be because of Coach Hood and lets face it, we can't all be as good of coaches as me, and we would all be 19' if we vaulted in Texas every meet. Ha, lets not think too much into this one guys. LON

thornhillj
PV Nerd

Unread postby thornhillj » Tue Oct 15, 2002 10:31 am

hey "lonestar"!!
just curious, but what is your P.R., and where was it, and what were the conditions?

thornhillj
PV Nerd

Unread postby thornhillj » Tue Oct 15, 2002 10:39 am

scratch that---i dont need your P.R....just where was it and what were the conditions? :)

thornhillj
PV Nerd

Unread postby thornhillj » Tue Oct 15, 2002 11:33 am

ok...this is my last one and im done with the subject!! haha....

lonestar, you said this in one of your earlier posts....

"Don's pv program at Tech will be good because he recruits great athletes. "

for one, you are right....he does have good athletes here and that will attract others good athletes. and being able to see that is good coaching.
coaching is more than just taking an athlete and making him jump high.
sure thats one quality, but what about these....these are why i think that hood is outstanding.....he is a coach on and off the track. he is a leader that helps his vaulters become better people by setting a good Godly example for them. he not only recruits good vaulters, but good people....a great example of this is buster mclain. coach hood recruited this guy because hes a leader. i know this because last year (you know this lonestar, but this is for the people who dont)....bobby most and i were roommates.....buster basically took us under his wing and taught us the ropes, because everyone knows that your freshman year is tough. i give credit to that guy because without a leader like that on the team, i know that bobby and myself wouldnt have accomplished what we did. a good coach helps his vaulters make better decisions in life. being a good coach isnt just helping someone run down the runway with a stick, and jump over a bar. these are the 2 reasons why i attened SWT last year and now Tech this year: coach hoods all around coaching ability and #2 an addition to that. like you said earlier, the vaulters that he already had.

kris, i totally understand where you were trying to go with this, but i think you were overlooking a lot of important qualities that a "good coach" has.

hopefully we are done with this now!!! :D

yeah, bob was right...hes going to be the only one of the Tech boys jumping.....the ole back is acting up again and i just got through having a cortisone shot so i am in rehab right now...no vaulting for me for a little while :crying:

peace out and take care

Return to “Pole Vault - College”