Good Colleges for Vaulters?!?

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

RamVault09
PV Fan

Unread postby RamVault09 » Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:51 am

Howdy ya'll! :D That's Texas for how's everyone doing? I'm a new comer to this site, registered user number 69 thank you very much.......but am still learning the ropes and figuring things out. From what i've seen this is an awesome place. I feel I have to stick up for ol Texas Tech, no one has yet. Something BIG is happening here with, in my opinion, one of the best coaches in the nation. Don Hood Jr. knows his stuff, and with the team we have this year, i'm really excited. :yes: We are provided with great facilities. Our double-ended outdoor pit is very convinient, especially here in Lubbock with its west Texas winds that are so vaulter friendly, not to mention the awesome indoor set-up we have.

But anyways....that's my two cents for what it's worth. :confused:
Pleasant Planting........

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:23 am

hey man whats your name?
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Mon Oct 14, 2002 12:01 pm

Hey, i'm a senior in HS, and just can't wait to vault in college....i've been planning on in since my freshman year....what do you guys think the main differences are though?
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Mon Oct 14, 2002 12:29 pm

Hey, i'm a senior in HS, and just can't wait to vault in college....i've been planning on in since my freshman year....what do you guys think the main differences are though?
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.

-Stephen King

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Mon Oct 14, 2002 12:37 pm

One major difference is the facilities and all the free equipment u get. Besides that, I dont know about everyone else but my coach is amazingly smart when it comes to the vault. Sometimes he tells me to do something that totally blows me away. That and, when your in HS your usually the best around. Your the leader of your team, then you come into college and your just another athlete. The freshman trying to do his best. Although I have t tell you, in college the team unity is so much closer. Its awsome!

thornhillj
PV Nerd

Unread postby thornhillj » Mon Oct 14, 2002 7:45 pm

hey Arizona guy....who are you?

Texas Tech Vault Crew

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:02 pm

thornhillj wrote:hey Arizona guy....who are you?

Texas Tech Vault Crew

My name is Adam Zimnisky. I am a new incoming freshman from AZ. Who are you?

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:15 pm

Why was Southwest Texas State the "vault capital of Texas?" With all due respect to Don Hood Jr., who is a good friend of mine, and who knows his fathers program very well, it was that good because of his recruiting, not his coaching.

Don is an average pole vault coach, but he has one of the sharpest eyes for talent I've ever seen. In working at his Dad's camp for the last 4 years, I've seen him eyeball beginners that have never touched a stick, say that they would be good, and a few years later seen those kids at the state meet.

Don's pv program at Tech will be good because he recruits great athletes.

My program at Southwest Texas State will be good because I coach great athletes that Don recruited. (Geoff Fairbanks 5.50, Sammy Mumme 5.20, Mike Fowler 5.05) After this year at SWT though, who knows.

Go to Arkansas State!

Kris

lonpvh
PV Pro

Unread postby lonpvh » Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:41 pm

Kris, you are the first person I agree with totally on this board. Lon

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Tue Oct 15, 2002 12:38 am

Thanks Lon! It's also nice to see posts from guys like you, Dub, and Bryan who know something more than rumors and high school superstitions!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 15, 2002 12:42 am

lonestar wrote:Thanks Lon! It's also nice to see posts from guys like you, Dub, and Bryan who know something more than rumors and high school superstitions!

Yeah I am really thrilled to have so many elite vaulters and coaches on here. I figured this board would be mainly for high schoolers... but it is wonderful to have all levels! :yes:

thornhillj
PV Nerd

Unread postby thornhillj » Tue Oct 15, 2002 12:51 am

well i have a few things to say.....
i dont know how someone can say that Don Hood Jr. isnt a good coach....
first of all, Geoff Fairbanks jumped 16'9" in high school...after his second year with Hood, 18'2"
second, Buster McLain jumped 15'6" in high school...after his past year with Hood, 17'7" (and over 18+ cleanly several times this summer)
third, sam mummy jumped right around 15' in high school...after his past year with Hood, 17'
fourth, jared thornhill jumped 15'6" in high school and after 1 year with Hood, jumped 16'10"
and fifth...even though he was already a freak out of high school, bobby most jumped 17'8" as a senior in HS and jumped 17'9" after his first year with Hood...but redshirted. (although he cleanly cleared 18'3" this summer and 18 on more than one occasion)
how can these results be from a coach who doesnt know how to coach, but just good athletes...well if thats so, then the good athletes know where the real coaching is.......

Return to “Pole Vault - College”