Jackie Nguyen photo causes controversy

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Jackie Nguyen photo causes controversy

Unread postby achtungpv » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:40 am

From today's Austin American-Statesman Letters to the Editor:

Go ahead, show me one sports photo of a close-up of a baseball player's crotch. Why do sports photographers continue to visually abuse women athletes with photographs such as the one on the front page of the April 7 American-Statesman? This isn't a men's magazine.

If the photographers won't police their own judgements, the editors certainly should. Of all the angles a photographer can choose to showcase a woman athlete's ability, he submitted this one? Stop this.
- JACKIE KNOTT, Fischer

"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:27 am

veery interesting.... im curious to see how this plays out
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

shevaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby shevaulter » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:51 am

I have been a part of PVP, T and F news, the IAAF message boards for many years now, and now feel I need to make a post. I have followed the pole vault, high jump, hurdles, and long jump both locally, internationally and nationally. This picture is not uncommon nor is it inappropriate. If you look at any photos from ANY meet you will see long jumpers from the front high jumpers hurdlers should I continue... You can say a women high jumper is inappropriate (think about the form) so should you not take a picture? The women who wrote in and complained COME ONE! Women are making their mark, Title IX is in their favor, now an activist who does not know anything about athletics is going to cause controversy. Now all photographers are going to be careful choosing certain angles to the point the say, "Forget it, we will just take pictures of the MEN." All I have to say is think of the consequences before you start a controversy you can't handle.

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Unread postby cdmilton » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:35 pm

That is a good picture of the action of her jump! When taking sports photo's it is nice to be able to see the athlete's face as it shows their emotion. I personally would have picked a different angle or the previous shot in the sequence or later on with the invert.

I am guessing the person responding doesn't look at a lot of sports photography and if this picture was on the cover of the sports section on the main cover there would have never been a response. I also bet that if the athlete wasn't wearing buns it wouldn't be an issue either.
Chris Milton

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:28 pm

I guess I am getting old, when I picked that paper up in the morning, my only thought was "cool, a pole vaulter on the front page of the paper". The local paper doesn't really consider track and field a newsworthy sport and to see any track and field athlete in the paper is a treat. I thought it was a great picture. Then I read the letter to the editor days later and was floored. I didn't see the photo as a "crotch shot". I guess you can't please everybody. Congrats to Jackie anyway, a Texas Relays victory, front page coverage and now a controversy.
compete and jump safe, have fun

SweetPVJumps
PV Whiz

Unread postby SweetPVJumps » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:37 pm

i wonder if this lady has ever even seen a picture of a pole vaulter. ridiculous. :P

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Re: Jackie Nguyen photo causes controversy

Unread postby MightyMouse » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:22 am

achtungpv wrote:From today's Austin American-Statesman Letters to the Editor:

Go ahead, show me one sports photo of a close-up of a baseball player's crotch. Why do sports photographers continue to visually abuse women athletes with photographs such as the one on the front page of the April 7 American-Statesman? This isn't a men's magazine.

If the photographers won't police their own judgements, the editors certainly should. Of all the angles a photographer can choose to showcase a woman athlete's ability, he submitted this one? Stop this.
- JACKIE KNOTT, Fischer

I do agree a little bit, call me a feminist.
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

uconnvaulta
PV Whiz

Unread postby uconnvaulta » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:33 am

this is the lamest argument ever, thats like being like how could you take a picture of a women gymnast while she was doing a split or something, it is part of the event. the polevault is a highly respected event withing the polevault community. it isnt the vaulters vault for having good form, that lady needs to do her research before arguing over something so dumb like that, if anything ask the women vaulter herself. and if she does mind, then i guess put basketball shorts on all vaulters so nothing is seen that might offend an on looker
Train Harder than your competition

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:19 am

uconnvaulta wrote:that lady needs to do her research before arguing over something so dumb like that, if anything ask the women vaulter herself. and if she does mind, then i guess put basketball shorts on all vaulters so nothing is seen that might offend an on looker

You gotta keep in mind that the further you get from Austin proper, the distance between the eyes increases, the thickness of the brow deepens, and the chromosome count decreases while righteous indignation rises exponentially. The AAS probably printed it because it's funny to make fun of fundy hillbillies.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

ahhh

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:19 am

aaaaaahhhhh that's where the shallow end of the gene pool is!!!!!

Biggie1110
PV Fan

Unread postby Biggie1110 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:05 pm

looks to me like she has a pretty nice swing phase to her jump...Thats the first thing i thought of when i saw the picture...lol
Indiana has the best vaulters!!!

plvltngdude
PV Wannabe

Unread postby plvltngdude » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:16 pm

The News Herald

Return to “Pole Vault - College”