Wanted: Old Bamboo Pole

Got something for sale? Looking to buy something? Post it here, but make sure to read the rules first!

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

dean_of_admissions
PV Newbie
Expertise: Coach
Lifetime Best: 12
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Wanted: Old Bamboo Pole

Unread postby dean_of_admissions » Wed May 15, 2013 2:54 pm

One of my grandpa's war buddies was recently telling me stories about when he used to pole vault in high school and college using bamboo poles. He said that he still had his pole, until it burned in a house fire a couple years ago. He kept talking about how he wish he still had that old bamboo pole. I was wondering if anyone out there might still have an old vintage bamboo pole they would be willing to part with. His birthday is coming up in August and I'd love to surprise him with something like that.
Or if you can think of anyone who might, please let me know!

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Re: Wanted: Old Bamboo Pole

Unread postby botakatobi » Wed May 15, 2013 4:42 pm

Vintage bamboo poles are hard to find.

Do what vaulters used to do. Find a suitable grove of staight bamboo poles. Look for about a 2 inch diameter at the base, 1 inch diameter anywhere from 12 to 16 feet from the base. Cut it down. Leave the branches on.

Season it for about 6 to 9 months laying it flat in a dry place with circulating air. Your garage rafters will do.

When the pole has naturally dried out, cut off the branches and tape it between the joints with athletic tape or old fashioned black friction tape.

Leave about an inch or so at the base before the joint. Some vaulters left it open and some inserted a piece of wood to protect the pole bottom. Some companies like Spalding and Rawlings developed their own pole tips. Pole tips were either spiked or similar to today's plugs.

dean_of_admissions
PV Newbie

Unread postby dean_of_admissions » Thu May 16, 2013 8:45 am

Thanks botakatobi,
I'll keep that in mind. But that'll probably be a "last resort" option. Not many bamboo groves in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

dean_of_admissions
PV Newbie

Unread postby dean_of_admissions » Mon May 07, 2018 10:22 am

Just bumping this back up to the top. Curious if anyone has any vintage vaulting poles.

Return to “Sales Forum”