INTRODUCING PV BODY GUARD!!!

Got something for sale? Looking to buy something? Post it here, but make sure to read the rules first!

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

INTRODUCING PV BODY GUARD!!!

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Tue May 07, 2013 10:08 am

PV power pic.jpg
PV power pic.jpg (41.67 KiB) Viewed 7384 times

TESTED to MEET the standards
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=59 ... tif_t=like

Tested in the field
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Covers the whole box for full protection!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijoBMk-QVTU&feature=youtu.be

Available to purchase June 1st

Designed by Jerry Hock and Bruce Caldwell our gift to make the pv safer for the PV Community!

Tory
PV Fan
Expertise: Former Vaulter - Current Coach
Lifetime Best: 14'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Re: INTRODUCING PV BODY GUARD!!!

Unread postby Tory » Tue May 07, 2013 5:04 pm

The obvious question: How much?

Looks awesome! I would love to add that to my collection of safety gear. I may be old school, but I just throw a pad (foam block, football dummy, wedge, etc) in the box after the kid takes off.

I can see how this would make jumping alone a lot safer for sure! Let us know the price, and maybe I can get the AD to throw in on this new-fangled technology. Good luck with it!

Chaebo
PV Fan
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Assistant Coach
Lifetime Best: 15'6
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Chaebo » Tue May 07, 2013 8:44 pm

Any chance this device will be legal for in competition use?

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Thu May 09, 2013 11:06 am

yes legal for competition!

Here is BODYGUARD PROTOTYPE 7
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=594300937261367
CHECK IT OUT!!!

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Thu May 09, 2013 6:47 pm

I honestly do not think the activator will cause that big of an issue, but just making sure that little cord across the front does not make it illegal because it is before the "Zero" mark.

Secondly. You stated that it causes 1/3 of a flex number or .00041. What are the units on that .00041? Pounds? Centimeters? 1/3 of a flex is .333cm which is about 3.333 pounds on most poles.

It obviously does not make the pole any "stiffer" because it is touching the pole so low to the ground. So my question is how did you come up with that 1/3 of a flex or .00041. Is this just how much force it takes to activate the flaps to close?

Also I think something better than comparing the resistance caused to a flex or a number in pounds. I would compare it to how much it slows down the rotation of the pole towards the box. If anyone had access to a very high speed camera they could Have someone of a certain weight hold onto a pole while standing on a platform or something and just ride it into the pit. Use the camera to calculate the speed in m/s or degrees per second of the pole rolling in without the activation strap, and then do the same thing with the activation strap. Compare the two numbers to see if the strap actually slowed the poles rotation at all.

****As far as the design:

In the video you kind of just quickly use a pole to flick the activator, but you do so by a way that has nothing to do with vaulting (i know it just shows how it works). But that activator foam piece that is moving is about 6 inches tall and appears to stop at vertical because of the foam you have behind it or because of how the mat would be. So now there is a piece of foam that may or may not be able to fall far back enough to match the taper of the box. Also because it is narrower than the back of the box, if the vaulters plant is a little crooked and for some reason starts to bend to the right and then when they swing through it switches to the right like it is supposed to, the pole will catch onto the foam activator.

I honestly really liked the idea with the string or the one in the original video where you seemed to have like a noodle or something on the string. I know the new foam activator may make it easier to reset, it just looks like it could cause more problems.

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Fri May 17, 2013 5:53 pm

Thank you for your in good comments and observation!
Let me try to address your questions and concerns!
I honestly do not think the activator will cause that big of an issue, but just making sure that little cord across the front does not make it illegal because it is before the "Zero" mark.

You are correct on this note thank you.
Secondly. You stated that it causes 1/3 of a flex number or .00041. What are the units on that .00041? Pounds? Centimeters? 1/3 of a flex is .333cm which is about 3.333 pounds on most poles.

It obviously does not make the pole any "stiffer" because it is touching the pole so low to the ground. So my question is how did you come up with that 1/3 of a flex or .00041. Is this just how much force it takes to activate the flaps to close?

Yes it take this amount in lbs to move the new activator you are correct this far down is very little resistance.

Also I think something better than comparing the resistance caused to a flex or a number in pounds. I would compare it to how much it slows down the rotation of the pole towards the box. If anyone had access to a very high speed camera they could Have someone of a certain weight hold onto a pole while standing on a platform or something and just ride it into the pit. Use the camera to calculate the speed in m/s or degrees per second of the pole rolling in without the activation strap, and then do the same thing with the activation strap. Compare the two numbers to see if the strap actually slowed the poles rotation at all.

Yes that is what I accomplished with the load cell we have on the flex machine.

****As far as the design:

In the video you kind of just quickly use a pole to flick the activator, but you do so by a way that has nothing to do with vaulting (i know it just shows how it works). But that activator foam piece that is moving is about 6 inches tall and appears to stop at vertical because of the foam you have behind it or because of how the mat would be. So now there is a piece of foam that may or may not be able to fall far back enough to match the taper of the box. Also because it is narrower than the back of the box, if the vaulters plant is a little crooked and for some reason starts to bend to the right and then when they swing through it switches to the right like it is supposed to, the pole will catch onto the foam activator.

I honestly really liked the idea with the string or the one in the original video where you seemed to have like a noodle or something on the string. I know the new foam activator may make it easier to reset, it just looks like it could cause more problems.

The newer models will have improvement / upgrades that will speed of set-up and improve release of the activator.
Here are new shoots to help you. Jerry Hock has done a lot of study on this new concept to speed the set up and keep the event moving. I think he has done a great job so far don't you .
IMG_1030 box opening 3.jpg

IMG_1045 low res.jpg

IMG_1046 low res.jpg

Bruce Caldwell

Return to “Sales Forum”