Help me get inverted !!!!

Got something for sale? Looking to buy something? Post it here, but make sure to read the rules first!

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

mbomb99
PV Newbie
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'06
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lawrence Johnson

Help me get inverted !!!!

Unread postby mbomb99 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:38 pm

So this is my video at 10'06 with a grip at about 13 on a 170 (I know what a disgrace) :crying: I believe that once I can get fully inverted I can clear millions of more heights. How can I get inverted? The reason why I don't turn is because I didn't feel right to turn (I wasn't inverted so I didn't go) Here is a video of me jumping) Anything I can fix to get me inverted or anything wrong period?

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1300652/highlights/49612863

scpolevaulter
PV Nerd
Expertise: College Vaulter and High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 14
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Mitch Greeley and Tim Mack

Re: Help me get inverted !!!!

Unread postby scpolevaulter » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:50 pm

It would help if this was in the right forum. Try the video review or technique forums they are a lot of help.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Help me get inverted !!!!

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:57 pm

You landed dangerously close to the box. Closer than you realize, because if you "make a mistake" and have a worse vault than what your vid shows, then you'll land in the box. Worse yet, you're in danger of landing in the box FACING THE WRONG DIRECTION! :no:

Lower your grip by 8", making sure that you land well into the pit - about 2-3 feet more into the pit than this vid. You'll have to move your standards back quite a bit more, but that's a good thing.

This will give you a lot more room (and time) to swing your trail leg up and land on your back.

You need to practice this without a bar - not even a bungee. Don't put up a bar until the next meet - it's distracting you from learning proper vaulting technique.

Don't worry if you don't get as much bend - you don't need it yet. That will come later, once your technique improves.

Once you're good with a 12-4 grip, then you can move it up to 12-8, but after that your technique will have improved to the point that you'll have to use a stiffer pole. (These grips are just approximate - your mileage may vary.)

There's quite a few other things you can do, but lowering your grip and getting a good, reliable, safe swing tops my list of hints to you right now.

You're going to be a good vaulter if you stick with it. Just don't expect to build Rome in a day. And practice, practice, practice your swing on a highbar! :yes:

I hope you have a coach. If you do, listen to him - not to me. :idea:

Kirk Bryde
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Sales Forum”