Aloha from Hawaii from Spencer Chang, MD

Got something for sale? Looking to buy something? Post it here, but make sure to read the rules first!

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

Spencer Chang, MD
PV Fan

Aloha from Hawaii from Spencer Chang, MD

Unread postby Spencer Chang, MD » Wed May 19, 2004 1:36 pm

Aloha to all of you vaulters!

Congratulations to Toby for his 6 m vault. :)

Just wanted to let everyone know that Vault 2000 :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: is available through Springco and On Track for around $40. All proceeds go to USATF pole vault development. I DON'T SEE A CENT.

Although a DVD is not available on the market yet, if you send me a kind e-mail, I'll sell you one.

There is a lot of footage (esp Sergei Bubka), and several instructional chapters. A review may be found on the polevaultpit.com.

I also have an article on the PVEI.com site. Check it out. It is quite technical though.

I welcome any questions or comments.

Aloha,

Spencer Chang, MD :D
Orthopaedic Surgeon (USATF Pole Vault Development Medical Staff)
University of Hawaii Women's Track and Field Pole Vault Coach

580 Lunalilo Home Road, Unit #340
Honolulu, HI 96825

Home: 808-396-6718
Cell: 808-351-1175

e-mail accounts: spencerchang@hawaii.rr.com
skykaeo@aol.com
skychang@mac.com
skychang@straub.net
Check out the video Vault 2000. You may purchase it at SpringCo or On Track.

vaultfan

Unread postby vaultfan » Wed May 19, 2004 4:29 pm

Dr. Chang, thank you so much for joining this message board. I’ve spent quite a bit of time reviewing your published works and there is a matter that has been on my mind.

In your article, “Pole Vault 101â€Â

Spencer Chang, MD
PV Fan

Free-take off

Unread postby Spencer Chang, MD » Wed May 19, 2004 7:11 pm

I've evolved much since pole vault 101, and now utilize much more of a European approach to the vault. Actually, in order for a free take or pre-jump to occur, the plant has to occur first. That is, the arms must be extended up to achieve as obtuse an angle as possible. If the plant is late, or an acute angle is created, the pole will contact the back of the box sooner, or prior to initiating the jump.

The vaulter should attempt to complete his/her extension off of the ground before the pole starts to bend or contacts the back of the box. Ideally, the extension position should be one where the legs, torso, and top arm form a straight line. To direct this energy such that it is in towards the pole, the step will need to be slightly at or behind a perpendicular from the top hand to the front toe (not heel) of the take-off foot while the ankle is in a plantarflexed position. Consequently, it is possible to do a free take-off, from a relatively closer position to the back of the box, when extension of the plant is completed first. It must be realized that with this extension, the jump occurs simultaneously.

American vaulters tend to vault under, and not achieve complete extension of their plants and take-off. Consequently, a free take-off does not occur. It's not as much the take-off point as it is the position achieved to allow a free take-off that is important. It's pushing the pole up, rather than letting the pole pick the vaulter up.

Short answer: I think a free-take off is the ideal situation. In order to do a pre-jump, the vaulter needs to really jump well off the ground. If you can do it like Markov or Feofanova, more power to you.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed May 19, 2004 10:51 pm

Welcome to the board :yes:

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Thu May 20, 2004 9:55 am

Spencer, We appreciate all you do for pole vaulting and pole vaulters. :yes: It is obvious that your heart is in it. I can't wait to see the video.
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

Russ
PV Master

Unread postby Russ » Fri May 21, 2004 8:06 am

Hi Spencer,

I first saw Vault 2000 at Jan's. This year I started using it to teach my high school vaulters. You've done a lot of really nice work. Several of the teaching points in it have really stuck with some of my vaulters. Thanks,

Two other "small world" notes. During the winter I train at MIT. One of the women there told me that you had coached her in high school, and her face lit up with enthusiasm. I'm sorry to say that I can't recall her name. Also, I've spoken to Wilson a couple of times about the helmet/safety issue. I've written several law/legal-related articles about pole vault safety, so I'm curious to know whether you've done any additional empirical research about helmets.

Aloha, back at you bro.

Hey, is that a sufficiently "kind" e-mail to qualify for the free dvd? If so, I'll send you a pm with my address. ;)
Russ

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

DaRuk
PV Fan

Unread postby DaRuk » Fri May 21, 2004 3:46 pm

Nice video Dr. Chang Ive watched vault 2000 at least fourhundred times... It was like the only thing to get me pumped up... Sean Brown hadnt made neovault yet. I know youre still trying to get people to buy the first, but whens Vault 2005 coming out? Id definitely get it

"the rockback isnt a rockback "per se" :D That makes me laugh every time.

Spencer Chang, MD
PV Fan

THANKS

Unread postby Spencer Chang, MD » Sat May 22, 2004 1:45 am

Thanks for the compliment.

Maybe just that, in 2005. I'll keep you posted.

Vault high dude!!!

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Sat May 22, 2004 11:43 am

Hey Spence,
Weren't you in the process of buying a house? If so, is that address the right one? It looks like an apartment address.
Wilson

Spencer Chang, MD
PV Fan

Unread postby Spencer Chang, MD » Sat May 22, 2004 12:53 pm

It's a cottage, sort of a townhouse.

Return to “Sales Forum”