Class of 2006 Signings

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:14 am

http://www.yorknewstimes.com/stories/04 ... er15.shtml

Teniente to soar high, fly low as a Loper

York athletic standout is UNK track and field team bound

By Steve Moseley
Managing Editor

YORK -- York High School senior athlete Adam Teniente will take his show westward on I-80 next year ... but not too far west. Teniente has signed to become a University of Nebraska at Kearney Loper track and field performer next season.

Watching Adam Teniente ink his contract to accept a track and field scholarship to UNK Wednesday are: (from left) York High School sprint coach Warren Washburn, Adam's mother Yolanda Teniente, head track coach Jerry Dunn and YHS pole vault coach Randy Johnson.
News-Times/Steve Moseley
Reprints available in daily photogallery
Teniente said he will pole vault and run sprints for UNK under sixth-year Antelope head coach Andy Meyer.

Meyer, named Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference Coach of the Year six times in all, has guided the Lopers to four RMAC indoor titles. Individually, 31 of his athletes have earned a total of 71 RMAC championships. He has coached 20 NCAA Division II All-Americans.

Teniente hopes to jump on that same UNK wagon too, and quickly. His goals are lofty.

"I plan on making it to nationals as a freshman," he said with a matter-of-fact shrug.

Teniente's career best vault was a 15-foot effort. His fastest 100-meter dash stopped time in 11.1 seconds and his personal record in the 200 stands at 22.8.

Why UNK?

Partly it's because they have "shown the most interest in me," he said. Beyond that, Teniente "knows one of their vaulters who started (as a freshman) this year" with the Lopers. "i know we'll have really good competition" bending the poles at UNK.

Teniente plans to focus his studies upon psychology while participating in the collegiate track and field world's winter indoor and spring outdoor seasons.

His head track coach in this, his final season as a Duke, is Jerry Dunn.

Dunn said Teniente has "a neat opportunity to be able to take his skills in track and field to the next level. He's been a fine athlete for us in a lot of different sports. He's one of the better vaulters we've had and we've had a lot of good ones," said Dunn. Most importantly, however, is that "He'll use this as a means to getting a college education. That's the bottom line right there," concluded the coach of the Dukes.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:54 am

http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles ... -vault.txt

"It felt good," said [Ben] Peterson, who's headed to the University of Minnesota. "I came down on it (bar) just a little. Anytime I'm over 16-0, I'm happy with it. It's great to break the meet record. Hopefully, I can go 17."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:35 pm

http://www.njherald.com/285881424318380.php

[Amy] Keegan, who will pole vault for Division III Washington & Jefferson College next year

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:35 am

http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/Sports/High ... 2-sun.html

Josh Kirkpatrick is vaulting from one great situation to another.

The 18-year-old Londoner, a Saunders secondary school grad and star pole vaulter with the St. Thomas Legion Track and Field Club, will attend the Ivy League's Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y., on an athletic grant-in-aid beginning in August.

"I can't wait," Kirkpatrick says.

He'll study business and economics, the same course NHL president Gary Bettman took as a Cornell undergrad all those years ago.

"It's the Ivy League, so academics are the most important thing. I want a good education," Kirkpatrick says.

He's sure he's found a good athletic environment as well.

"The (track and field) program is strong," Kirkpatrick says. Since the hiring of head coach Nathan Taylor five years ago, the Big Red men's team has jumped into the top 25 among NCAA Division 1 schools.

"This is a good opportunity for me," says Kirkpatrick, whose pole vault personal best is 4.70 metres. "Coach Taylor is a standup guy. He's been around and I'm looking forward to spending the next few years working with him."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:36 am

http://news.bellinghamherald.com/apps/p ... ory=SPORTS

[Erin] Lippie also accepted a track and field scholarship to compete at South Western Oregon Community College next season.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:44 am

http://www.nj.com/news/bridgeton/index. ... ml&coll=10

"I think it's bad that they scheduled it on spring break because we have four or five people out that could score points," said Millville senior Melissa Gale, who won the pole vault and will be signing a letter of intent to attend Temple University.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:27 am

http://www.orugoldeneagles.com/index.ph ... &well_id=2

Tracks and Field Inks High School Standout
Jordan Guthmann
04/19/2006

Head Coach Joe Dial
Tulsa, Okla. – Oral Roberts University track and field head coach Joe Dial announced on Wednesday the addition of high school standout Chelsea Threet, a two-time Oklahoma 5A state pole vaulting champion.

Threet, a senior from Shawnee High School in Shawnee, OK., currently holds the state record in the women's pole vault, breaking her previously owned state record on Tuesday at the Bison Relays in Shawnee. Her previous mark of 12'2" was bested by Threet's record height of 12' 3 1/4" at the event. In addition to breaking the state record twice in her high school career, Threet is also a two-time 5A state champion in the pole vault, has twice earned all-state and all-city honors, and even earned a fifth place finish at state in the 400 meter dash.

Threet was also recruited by the Arkansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Vanderbilt. She is expected to graduate from Shawnee High School in 2006, and will join the Golden Eagles for the 2006-2007 season.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:45 am

http://morningsun.net/stories/042006/ps ... 0019.shtml

Pittsburg State signs 12 track recruits
By The Morning Sun
Pittsburg State University track and field coach Russ Jewett announced the signing of 12 athletes - eight women and four men - to national letters of intent to join the Gorilla program in the 2006-07 school year.

Women's signees Megan Ballock of Eudora, Carissa Hughes of Wellsville, Patricia Leal of Ellsworth, Kelsey Moore of El Dorado, Katie Robben of Garden Plain, Heather Williams of Fort Scott, Jory Wire of Chanute and Megan Fisher of Harrisonville, Mo., are joined by men's signees Tim Testa of Junction City, John VanGundy of Americus, Brandon Wenger of Topeka and Joshua Coberly of Jane, Mo.

Hughes will join the women's pole vaulting corps at PSU. She was runner-up in last year's Class 3A state meet, clearing 10 feet, 6 inches as a junior.

"Carissa will help us to continue the success we have had in the pole vault in recent years," Jewett said. "With just a little improvement, she could be a conference scorer as a freshman."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:55 pm

Kyle Dennis, a 5.21 vaulter from Johnson County Community College has signed with Abilene Christian.

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:32 pm

Peter Hollenbeck (14'11" and climbing quickly) just singed with the Universtiy of Missouri at Rolla a few weeks ago.

http://prepsports.stltoday.com/ssi/prep ... enDocument

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:51 pm

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-rev ... 46542.html

Butler jumper wins three events

By George Guido
FOR THE TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, April 23, 2006

First, the Butler Invitational. Next, the WPIAL championship meet. Next year, the Big East Conference.
That's the itinerary for Butler High School's Kendall Butch, the only athlete to finish with three firsts Saturday at her school's fifth annual girls track invitational.

Butch, who has accepted a scholarship to Pitt, won the pole vault, high jump and triple jump, enduring rainy, windy conditions at Butler's Art Bernardi Stadium.

The Golden Tornado senior led her team to a second-place finish with 90 points. North Allegheny took team honors with 137.

"I was surprised to win all three events," Butch said. "I usually place at the dual meets, but this was special, since there were lots of other athletes."

Butch recorded a 5-foot-2-inch effort in the high jump, 11-0 in the pole vault and 35-13/4 in the triple jump. Not bad for a relative neophyte to track and field.

"I started out in track in my sophomore year," Butch said. "I was a gymnast for about 10 years before I had a knee injury. An MRI showed my miniscus was torn, and I had a partial tear of my ACL when they did surgery. So, I took up track."

Butler coach Rod Harris couldn't be happier about Butch's decision.

"Kendall, obviously, was a big part of our day. She got 30 points herself," Harris said. "We're very pleased with what we're seeing. The kids are really starting to perform."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:20 am

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/ ... 18702.html

Earlier this week, [Will] Paine signed a scholarship to vault with Texas. It wasn't a full ride, but Ruez said it completed a dream Paine has had since he picked up a pole. His next goal is to win a state title.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”