freshman record

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

polevaultdad
PV Nerd

Unread postby polevaultdad » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:57 pm

It is not just how high you jump but when you do it. If it is done after the high school season in a meet such as the Nike, or JO's is does not count as a high school record. Therefore it would not be a class record. That happened to Kira Costa a few years back.

polevaultdad
PV Nerd

Unread postby polevaultdad » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:58 pm

Allison is just a junior this year so the 13-5.75 was a sophomore vault.

thaone600
PV Nerd

Unread postby thaone600 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:48 pm

polevaultdad wrote:It is not just how high you jump but when you do it. If it is done after the high school season in a meet such as the Nike, or JO's is does not count as a high school record. Therefore it would not be a class record. That happened to Kira Costa a few years back.

idk about the doing after the season for the state class record tho because my friend jumped 15 durring the season but at a open meet jumped 16 6 about a month and a half after the season and indiana counted it as the class record

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:47 pm

I think it would be in the best interest of everyone (and there are several) involved to clarify the definite records, boys and girls, for each class all the way to the quarter inch and to also give timelines that these marks have to be achieved. We are all a part of an obviously explosive, objective sport that's success is measured by records and heights. It would be nice to have these guidelines defined a little better.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:32 pm

It just depends on who is keeping track of the records.

I believe the NFHS only counts records done during the seaosn competing for your school. I think T&F News gives you until August 31st.

Each state is different too. I am from WA and we count records through August 31st. Some states only count records set at the state meet!

So who has the high school outdoor record? Mary Saxer? Tiffany Maskulinki? It all depends on who you ask...

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:51 pm

Scott Go Pre wrote:The men's freshman record is 16' 03.25" set by Jayson Lavender of Wichita Falls, TX back in 1987.

Sophomore record - 17' 06" by Jacob Davis back in 1994.
Junior record - 17' 07.25" by (non other) Tommy Skipper in 2002.
Senior record - 18' 03" by Tommy Skipper in 2003.

As for the girls, it was set by Allison Stokke with a height of 12' 08" on 6/5/2004.

Sophomore record - 13' 04" Stacy Manuel in 2000.
Junior record - 13' 05" Tiffany Maskulinski in 2004.
Senior record 13' 08.50" by Kira Costa in 2003.

Mary Saxer jumped 14'2" last year...

ps... tommy jumped 4.70 (15'5") as an 8th grader i do believe... thats rediculous...

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:52 pm

Lax PV wrote:Mary Saxer jumped 14'2" last year...

Indoors.

Which I think T&F News considers THE High School record, following the lead of the IAAF and accepting indoor marks which are higher than outdoor marks as records.

I think the NFHS recognizes Saxer's 13'9" as the outdoor HS record because it was set during the season.

Which leaves us with Maskulinski's 14'0" which I think was set after the season.

:confused:

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:48 pm

yeah, they really gotta choose something and stick with it... I like that idea though about it being 1 record...

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:01 pm

Lax PV wrote:yeah, they really gotta choose something and stick with it... I like that idea though about it being 1 record...

"They" have all chosen and stuck with something, it's just that there are several different "theys". I personally like the way T&F News does things.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”