state qualifiers

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Tue Sep 24, 2002 12:30 am

We also have five different classes my highschool was 5a (the largest). each class has its state meet at a different place. 5A was at mesa community college, 4a was at uofa, 3a, 2a, and 1a were all at different places but I dont know exactly where they were. I know 40 guys for a state meet sounds like alot but really its not at all that bad, they keep the vaulting continuously flowing, it gows by really fast! I love it, everyone gets a chance to expload into the air one last time. It deffinently shows who can do good under pressure. Vaulting in Arizona is huge. We have about 3 clubs that I know of that teach the vault two of which have over 3o members. Greg hull and Tod Leaman caoch one of them, Sky Athletics, this is also where Nick Hysong trains. Along with Adam Keul!
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

nzsprinter
PV Nerd

well..

Unread postby nzsprinter » Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:49 pm

well posting a reply on your comment molly, well yes it is unfair but i heard that your district and mine (kingco) used to be stuck together, which made 5 people qualify after districts, last year we didn;t have district becasuse we split the two up you get 3 that year we get 2, this year we get 3 and you get 2. It all came because we took all 5 spots in soccer and basketball, so the district complained about the system. and this is how it is now, it was unfair for us last year as well, with good 400m runners etc.. but only 2 could of went, some really good people missed out last year in our district.

keulpv
PV Fan

qualifying meet vs mark

Unread postby keulpv » Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:38 pm

I am from Texas. We have the worst system of all. Top two at district and top two at regionals go to state. I jumped 17' in Highschool and didnt go to the state meet because I got third at regionals (I jumped 15'6"). There were four 16 footers and me in our region. I was by no means a consistant 17 footer, But I jumped 17 and 16'6 the last couple of meets before District. I was consistent at 15'6-16' and didnt get to go to state-ONLY IN TEXAS BABY!!!

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:49 am

Id like to hear threason why the orginizers for state meets set the qualifying like they do. What answer could they possibly give that would make any sense at all?
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Sep 25, 2002 9:18 am

Different States have different ideas about what they want to see at the State meet. Some want the top from each region while some want the top in the state.

Financial considerations are a factor in most states. I dunno... in WA there would be little support for having 5 state championships in 5 different locations. It does not make financial sense. But having them together makes for tighter time constraints.

California has it bad in the same way as Texas. They have a HUGE state with some amazing vaulters... and their state meet features ALL the classes competing together.

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:09 pm

I dunno... in WA there would be little support for having 5 state championships in 5 different locations.

I'm a little jaded from the coaches convention. In WA there seems to be little support for changing anything.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:38 pm

Robert schmitt wrote:I'm a little jaded from the coaches convention. In WA there seems to be little support for changing anything.

How was the coaches convention? When was it?

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Wed Sep 25, 2002 6:45 pm

The convention was last Feb just before the season started. I really was not that impressed with the convention. The best part was sitting around talking with Ron Johnson. Other than that I felt it was pretty unorganized and didn't really accomplish alot for the time and money involved. In fact if the schools and coaches would put the money involeved with sending four coaches in our case- entry fee, room board, certification fee, and travel, into the program, with in four years I bet you would have saved enough $$ for new pole vault pits. Rather than getting together on the schools dime and #$%@ about how there isn't money for this and that, and how track & field is declineing, but unwilling to do or change anything to save it.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:18 pm

I :heart: Ron! I jumped with him some the previous 2 summers, and I was supposed to jump with him this past summer, but noooo the Snohomish school district people had to be buttmunches about letting them use the facility :P

Hehe I did get to work with him the one day he was helping coach at PV Camp. That was my 6th time going to camp, so it was kind of refreshing to have someone say stuff like "OK the clapping drill is dumb, we are going to skip that one" ;)

That sucks about the convention. Maybe someday I will be back in WA and getting to go to fun stuff like that. :P

vaultman02
PV Beginner

stacked districts

Unread postby vaultman02 » Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:32 pm

You haven't seen a stacked district untill you hear about this. In 2001 in Texas, one of the 5A districts(it was the one with Tomball in it) had something like 2 16' vaulters, 1 15'6 vaulter, and 3 or 4 14'6 vaulters. Keep in mind, in Texas, the qualifying process is the top two at district make it to regionals and the top two at regionals make it to state. That leaves only eight spots for state qualifiers. There are states out there where the 7th best vaulter in the Tomball DISTRICT would win state overall. That's Texas vaulting.

BackwardVaulter
PV Newbie

state

Unread postby BackwardVaulter » Fri Oct 11, 2002 1:01 am

last year my school was sea-tac b (now emerald city 1a) and our tri-district meet was cut from top 3 to top 2...we had SO MANY PEOPLE FINISH 3! i got 2, thankfully, and so did my school's other vaulter. but...rrr! all our relays, our high jumper, our sprinters, our distance! so many thirds!
stupid wiaa.
-siff
p.s. you can find your league's allocations www.wiaa.com in the track section. just go to your state meet site.

Troff-USA
PV Beginner

Unread postby Troff-USA » Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:19 pm

Vaultman02, I have heard off and on over the past 10 or 15 years, that some of the best high school track in Texas is not even at the state meet!

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”