Is this Box legal/safe?

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

Tincup1215
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Former College Coach, High School Coach

Is this Box legal/safe?

Unread postby Tincup1215 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:50 pm

My friend called me up yesterday after he had a track meet at a local high school. He sent me this picture of the school's pole vault box and said it was quite "janky".

We have our conference meet at this school in 3 weeks. The screws that are jutting out, I'm worried about it damaging the sail piece and potentially breaking our poles the week before our Sectional. I have a 15' vaulter and a 13'7 vaulter.
Attachments
IMG_0337 (1).JPG
not sure why this is upside down
IMG_0337 (1).JPG (38.8 KiB) Viewed 22670 times

DLM
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Master, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 12.6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragila

Re: Is this Box legal/safe?

Unread postby DLM » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:34 am

as I look at the photo it is hard to tell but is that dirt at the bottom, that is to say is the bottom rusted out if so that in itself would make it unsafe as far as I would be concurred. yes the screws should be made flush and the top of the box seems to have a flat or at least a hard edge which also could cause a problem for a pole if your vaulters have enough bend in the pole and rotate over to fare on a jump and get to deep. that being said is there any way to address these issues ( use another pit, bring over a raised runway, replace the box.) remember it is a sport and not worth the life or welfare of the athlete.

Tincup1215
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Former College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby Tincup1215 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:05 pm

That's dirt, a lot of dirt. There other box on the opposite end of the runway is good, but I don't want to play the luck game and hope it's not a headwind. They do have a fieldhouse with a box inside, but there's a curtain that hangs directly over the pit (about 16') and my kid is going to hit it.

My high school is 20 minutes away and we have 2 boxes in excellent shape, but I doubt they'd let us hold pole vault at my facility and have the rest of the meet at the other high school.

DLM
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Master, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 12.6
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragila

Unread postby DLM » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:08 am

They might if you point out your concern, and have other coaches with the same opinion and concerns speak up . It's worth a shoot. We need coaches like yourself that keep their eyes open and try to manage the risks in this event for the athletes we coach. Good luck and keep it safe

Bjack6635@gmail.com
PV Fan
Expertise: High school
Lifetime Best: 14 3

Unread postby Bjack6635@gmail.com » Tue May 09, 2017 9:32 am

Im gonna say that the fact that the screws look like there not flush is reason enough not to use the box. we use tape and pvc to protect our poles from good boxes i can only imagine what would happen if a pole caught one of those screws mid rotation.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”