Critique and help my vault

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

J.lay
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lazaro Borges

Critique and help my vault

Unread postby J.lay » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:00 pm

Hello again guys, I have some footage of my vault and I have been getting very frustrated recently. I have improved my collapsed arm problem, but I still slide under the pole and lean back and I don't know what to do. My coach tries to help but I don't know why but I cant do it. I vaulted 13'6 over the summer, took a 2 month break and then have only hit 13'6 again twice since then, and I feel like I am digressing. It is incredibly frustrating and I don't know what to do. Any and all help is welcome.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2rSg ... p5RjhRcXNv
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3I-t ... tVOTlQYXlv

Skyfly
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, High School and Club Coach

Re: Critique and help my vault

Unread postby Skyfly » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:29 pm

You need to jump up more at the takeoff and focusing on driving the pole upward to create pole speed. It looks like you're so focused on setting your arms that all you do is bend the pole and let it pick you up off the ground. You can not stay behind the pole without making it move ahead of you, which is why you get sucked under.
Last edited by Skyfly on Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:13 pm

Skyfly wrote:You need to jump up more at the takeoff and focusing on driving the pole upward to create pole speed. It looks like you're so focused on setting your arms that all you do is bend the pole and let it pick you up off the ground. You can not stay behind the pole without making it move ahead of you, which is why you get sucked under.

I agree with Skyfly. Also, instead of pushing with that bottom arm, you should stretch your chest forwards - then you'll get a better swing. And you're under.

BTW, that Google Drive vid needs to be opened up to the public, so we can view it. The first vid is OK.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

J.lay
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14
Favorite Vaulter: Lazaro Borges

Unread postby J.lay » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:00 pm

kirk and skyfly, thank you for your input. Ill see what I can do at next practice.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:58 pm

You're welcome.

I just posted something to spencershade here: http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=64536 that might also help you re your takeoff.

Good luck.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”